• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

12/26 - 27 Storm Discussion Thread

Greg

Staff member
Snow has started here in CT - very fine, but sticking. 22.5*F. Calling for 1-2'.

wa-loaf

snowtotal.FXTimg_tmb0000_20101225223125_320_240.JPG

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'll believe 20" when I see it. Channel 4 showed a list of the biggest storms in CT. I don't know how accurate that list is, but it's been a LOOOOOOOOONG time since we had a storm that brought even in the neighborhood of 20".

ETA: They said 21" in 1983 and 18" in 1945 for a single storm, so yeah... not holding my breath.

Last edited:

snoseek

Still trying to figure out if my little shit box will make it tomorrow! Going to get some new tires for starters.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'll believe 20" when I see it. Channel 4 showed a list of the biggest storms in CT. I don't know how accurate that list is, but it's been a LOOOOOOOOONG time since we had a storm that brought even in the neighborhood of 20".

Severine, I generally share your skepticism, but in this case, I've more hope.

This models are in general congruence and even the most cautious of forecasters are onto this one. Everything seems to be lining up, and the models are now moving this even farther inland, now encompassing Albany, whereas last night it only extended to East of the Burks. Oh Christmas tree!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I would be pretty impressed... although our shovel broke over the summer and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. :oops: At least I moved the stuff out of the driveway so the landlord's handyman can plow if he ever shows up...which he has a history of forgetting about us when it snows. :angry:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I would be pretty impressed... although our shovel broke over the summer and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. :oops: At least I moved the stuff out of the driveway so the landlord's handyman can plow if he ever shows up...which he has a history of forgetting about us when it snows. :angry:

Me thinks Sev is gonna get some fantastic photo opps out of this!

Greg

Staff member
The last time I remember a legitimate 18+" here was around 1999. Most of our big snowfalls are in the foot range. Anything over 6" is just gravy to me.

Greg

Staff member
Snow has started here in CT - very fine, but sticking. 22.5*F. Calling for 1-2'.

That initial little burst was short-lived. just a real light dusting. Judging by the radar though, it looks like the real thing should be starting by noon.

Greg

Staff member
First few flakes are falling now....

ctenidae

Been steady and moderate for about an hour now in Norwalk. Grass is still showing, but it's sticking. Don't worry, Greg- it's coming.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It looks to me like EVERYBODY IN CT, RI, MA, VT, NH is gonna get nailed! Look at this 2:30pm model update.
The real storm started snowing in Flatlandachusetts about 2:30pm.

N-EAST_WRF_SFC_ACCUM-SNOWFALL_48HR.gif

MommaBear

ETA: They said 21" in 1983 and 18" in 1945 for a single storm, so yeah... not holding my breath.

I don't think that is right - I can't remember what year it was but we were in FL, I think for MLK weekend, with all 3 kids - so it had to be after 2000 - and CT got 15-18". I remember calling home to a neighbor to check on our house. And arrived home to find they had kindly plowed our driveway.