• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2014-2015 Winter Forecast (here we go)

JDMRoma

Would be nice if Northern NH had the depth of snow we have down in the southern end of the State......
Kinda weird to come home and have to shovel more snow that what you skied in that day.....not complaining just sayn !

Puck it

Would be nice if Northern NH had the depth of snow we have down in the southern end of the State......
Kinda weird to come home and have to shovel more snow that what you skied in that day.....not complaining just sayn !

And throw in some 20 degree days !!!!!

BenedictGomez

I'm getting tired of weekday temps in the 20's followed by frigid weekend temperatures.

Seriously, it stinks. This will be the 4th abnormally cold weekend in a row (next weekend might be 5).

Better than the alternative, of course, but it would be nice to have some 20 to 30 degree weekend days sprinkled in.

dlague

Seriously, it stinks. This will be the 4th abnormally cold weekend in a row (next weekend might be 5).

Better than the alternative, of course, but it would be nice to have some 20 to 30 degree weekend days sprinkled in.

No kidding! But I do think of this as snow preservation with little melting going on and the PP stays really nice and even the woods are getting refreshed every 3-4 days. I will be skiing both Saturday and Sunday.

catsup948

Interesting to see how the rest of winter looks. Climo has to take over near the coast at some point. Average high temps are mid 40s near Boston by March 1st. Right now the cold to the north is suppressing storms into just the right spot for big paydirt out east. March is usually good here north. March isn't a winter month or a snowy month all that often out that way. 2013 is only one I can think of. Last year was just cold. 2012, 2011, 2010 were warm as I remember.

BenedictGomez

^ Well, as brutally cold as it's going to be Sunday and Monday, some models are actually spitting out even colder figures for the middle of next week.

Cannonball

What gives with the temp forecasts for this weekend. All of the warnings are for 'coldest of the season'. But when I look at the temp forecasts (Franconia for example) they all call for high of 8 Sunday and 5 Monday. That's cold for sure, but we've had a couple recent weekends that were colder than that. 2 Saturdays ago it never broke 0 and the wind was screaming. What's the discrepancy?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I thought last weekend was perfectly comfortable skiing weather. It was in the single digits at MRG, but comfortable.

BenedictGomez

What gives with the temp forecasts for this weekend. All of the warnings are for 'coldest of the season'. But when I look at the temp forecasts (Franconia for example) they all call for high of 8 Sunday and 5 Monday. That's cold for sure, but we've had a couple recent weekends that were colder than that. 2 Saturdays ago it never broke 0 and the wind was screaming. What's the discrepancy?

They're including windchill, which will make the perceived temps the lowest of the year.

Just pulled the Canuck for 1pm on each of those days, and I'm guessing the closest figures you're seeing are Berlin, and it's 8 and 1, but the 7am figures are 8 and -7. That said, the models have backed off on the wind a bit with the overnight runs, but not enough to get me out skiing Sunday!

gem_T2m_us_12.png

gem_T2m_us_16.png

4aprice

I thought last weekend was perfectly comfortable skiing weather. It was in the single digits at MRG, but comfortable.

Last weekend was. This weekend they are talking bout super winds. I'm going to go out Saturday, but they are talking 30+mph Sunday. NYC mayor has told the City peeps to stay inside (Steamboat?)

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

deadheadskier

Staff member
Last weekend was. This weekend they are talking bout super winds. I'm going to go out Saturday, but they are talking 30+mph Sunday. NYC mayor has told the City peeps to stay inside (Steamboat?)

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I've opted for Crotched instead of Wildcat because of the weather. This weekend does look a little nasty up North, so I'll stay South.

My comment was more a general statement towards the weather this past weekend and the two prior that people are complaining about. It has been great ski weather IMO. If folks have been cold, then they haven't been skiing hard enough.

jrmagic

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

LMAO! Did he really??? I hadn't heard that yet. What an asshat. It will most definitely be cold but if you are dressed properly it should be manageable provided you can get to the top.

BenedictGomez

LMAO! Did he really??? I hadn't heard that yet. What an asshat. It will most definitely be cold but if you are dressed properly it should be manageable provided you can get to the top.

de Blasio's a far-left extremist. He'll tell you when you should poop if you let him (and probably devise a "pooping tax" somehow).