• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice about Tuckerman's

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
David Metsky said:
You DO NOT need a WMNF parking sticker if you park in the main lot at Pinkham Notch. You DO need a WMNF parking sticker if you park in the overflow lots further south on Rt 16. It's stupid, but that's the way it is.

-dave-
ah, thanks for the correction! given the amount of people skiing tucks on a good day, it isn't a bad idea to assume you might need one. but i assume they sell them at the visitor center?

speaking of nice days, don't count on one but if you can be flexible, it wouldn't hurt to watch the weather and wait for a couple of nice warm days followed by the evening freeze at sled mentioned above. you gotta be prepared for anything, but you can certainly rule out the worst of bad weather days by being flexible if possible. of course that is hard to do when making reservations, but as much as possible do what you can. if you do gorham, you could likely find a place without much notice.

cgr

If it's crowded I used to just park over at wildcat and walk an extra 1/4 mile...

The best advice that I have would be to try and be flexible about the weather. Obviously the further away that you live the harder that becomes. But if you can extend your window of opportunity from a 2 weekend by a couple of days your chances are better.

And don't overlook going while the lift serviced areas are still running! One of my best days in the ravine was on an MLK weekend day in the early 90's - temps were in the 60's
. If the conditions aren't right then you can ski lift service terrain or just hike/ski the Sherburne trail or Gulf of Slides.
Talk to the rangers & check the snow conditions. The earlier in the season you go the shorter your hiking time is as well - at least in my experience. The trail up is well packed and you aren't climbing a rock strewn trail. And the run down the Sherburne is minutes compared to having to hike it.

I have usually found the conditions to be better than what was on the recording on the AMC line - It was probably safer for them to downplay conditions. I don't know if that is still the case.

neuvip

i have a quick question about gear needed...what's the preferred method of getting from the lot to the top? i've read different things. i believe some people say they've skinned up (i'm assuming they skin up the hiking trail, then pack their skis on their back from lunch rocks on?) or are you just better off hiking up and changing into your ski boots around lunch rocks? just trying to get a feel of the best way to do this. I don't own any special alpine touring gear or crampons or snowshoes.

dmc

neuvip said:
i have a quick question about gear needed...what's the preferred method of getting from the lot to the top? i've read different things. i believe some people say they've skinned up (i'm assuming they skin up the hiking trail, then pack their skis on their back from lunch rocks on?) or are you just better off hiking up and changing into your ski boots around lunch rocks? just trying to get a feel of the best way to do this. I don't own any special alpine touring gear or crampons or snowshoes.

Skining is the best way to go... But in lieu of that - hike to lunchrocks in hiking boots - switch to ski boots..

ski_adk

I'm heading up to Attitash, NH on Friday and will probably do a hike this weekend to save on having to buy a weekend lift ticket. What should I expect as far as hiking up to caretakers cabin and skiing Sherbourne out? What kind of trail is Sherbourne anyways (cross-country, blue, black diamond)? Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!

dmc

ski_adk said:
I'm heading up to Attitash, NH on Friday and will probably do a hike this weekend to save on having to buy a weekend lift ticket. What should I expect as far as hiking up to caretakers cabin and skiing Sherbourne out? What kind of trail is Sherbourne anyways (cross-country, blue, black diamond)? Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!

Hiking should be easy - I'd think the Tucks trail will be packed..
Sherburn is a nice shot... Black diamond... Twisty.. Some nice turns.. No big deal...

jaywbigred

Hey, thanks everyone

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the info they listed on here. Very much appreciated!!

See you at Lunch Rocks for some:beer: in April (I'll be the guy with the Ithaca is Gorges sticker on my helmet)!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
fwiw, even though lunch rocks is where most people hang out... it is really exposed to ice fall under right gully, especially in april when stuff starts melting. you may want to scope out a safer location in the ravine to base, or if you do want to be part of the crowd at lunch rocks, pick a safe spot with a rock nearby that you can duck behind.

NHpowderhound

Riverc0il wrote
fwiw, even though lunch rocks is where most people hang out... it is really exposed to ice fall under right gully, especially in april when stuff starts melting. you may want to scope out a safer location in the ravine to base, or if you do want to be part of the crowd at lunch rocks, pick a safe spot with a rock nearby that you can duck behind.
This may be some of the best advice you'll find in this post IMO. I almost never hang out at Lunch Rocks for too long. I will camp outt on the rocks underneath Chute and Left Gully. If it's your first time in the ravine then be aware too that if you hear somone start yelling ICE! or SKI! then you better stop whatever it is you may be doing and get your a$$ behind a rock and start yelling the same thing. Falling ice and runaway skis happen all the time. Falling Ice is more common in the afternoon but it can still happen anytime. Falling skis may be doing 50+MPH.
Crevasses form on skiers left of the headwall starting in april and get worse as the season goes on. Some are so deep that rescuers have had to use SCUBA gear to recover the bodies. Most crevasses you can see. But if you fall from above you may not be able to stop yourself from falling into one.
You will also want to pay attention to the sun as it moves through the sky melting snow and then casting it back into a shadow to set up into solid ice. Here is an excellent reference for shade times in Tucks.
((*
*))NHPH

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
NHpowderhound said:
Crevasses form on skiers left of the headwall starting in april and get worse as the season goes on. Some are so deep that rescuers have had to use SCUBA gear to recover the bodies. Most crevasses you can see. But if you fall from above you may not be able to stop yourself from falling into one.
((*
*))NHPH

The infamous berg-shrund every glacial crique (sp) has one when the snow starts melting, its what happens when the block of ice (ie the snow in the ravine) starts melting and pulls away from the land (ie the head wall). Most crevaces are not more than 30m deep, however, the berg-shrund can be much larger, hence the notion that you should stay away from it.

-Porter

dmc

the snow report at Tucks used to say:
"Extrication from crevasses is unlikely"

Cannonball

Is a 2500 size pack with multiple ski attachement points sufficient?

2500cu is good multi-day pack size. It's overkill for the typical day hike Tuckerman trip. You'll see folks up there using packs this size, but they can be hard to ski with. If that's all you have then go with it. But avoid overpacking, which can be easy to do when you have all that space. Cinch it down as much as possible to make it manageable.

I've used too-big and too-small packs for Tucks over the years. I've finally settled in at a 1200cu pack and it seems perfect.

snowmonster

If you're just going for the day, especially in the spring, a 2500 cu in pack may be too much. A sturdy day pack with compression straps on the sides is all you need. Pack only what you need and keep it light. Be kind to your quads and knees.

SKIQUATTRO

thats the only pack i have that can accomadate skis in either Aframe or vertical together off the back...

not spending the night

will check out some other smaller packs

thx

snowmonster

thats the only pack i have that can accomadate skis in either Aframe or vertical together off the back...

not spending the night

will check out some other smaller packs

thx

If that's the only pack you have, then go with it. No sense in spending just for this trip. Just remember to pack light but bring everything you need just in case. Bring water. People tend to overpack on the first trip. After that initial trip, you'll have a better idea of what's in store for you and you can plan better.

skidmarks

My advice is go early enough in the season that you can ski all the way back down on the John Sherburne Ski Trail. It's a fun ski as well and sure beats walking down after a long day.

I like to stay at the Joe Dodge and skin up with a smaller pack. Plenty of great stuff to ski for all levels of ability.