• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice about Tuckerman's

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
how many laps can one get in at tucks? thinking early/mid april...

If you get a real early start (e.g. start ascent from Pinkham before 8:00am) and you are in decent shape, 2-3 runs is a good day. The third hike can take a while since by that point you will be pretty tired. Remember you don't have to go all the way up every time. If you are in excellent shape and hike a lot, you may be able to squeeze out a couple more laps. However, be sure to save a little something for the ski out down the Sherburne which is tyipcally a 2500 vert bump run in the spring). I have burned up my legs in the bowl and had to ski out while experiencing nasty leg cramping.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
If you get a real early start (e.g. start ascent from Pinkham before 8:00am) and you are in decent shape, 2-3 runs is a good day.
Oh, you can get a lot more than that if you are in good shape and transition quickly. I know folks who've done 7-8 many times. I've done 4-5 over in GOS and I'm slow. You need to get out early, and keep moving.

Angus

Yeah, I've skied Right Gully, Lobster Claw, then skied Left Gully, then half of Left Gully climbed back up/over and skied Hillmans - problem is by 3PM the slopes get in shadows and snow begins to freeze up. Plus, if you get up early especially until mid-May (or later), the slopes are frozen from night temps. On the way down, stop at Hojos, eat/drink/rest and then ski down Hillmans - it's a great trail.

Cannonball

when is the best time (month) to go...

It obviously changes year to year and day to day. But in general:

Jan-March = Good snow, higher danger, few other people around for safety, skins/snowshoes likely required, cold, short days.

April = Progressing through the month: increasing traffic, increasing stability, longer/warmer days. Full ski out on Sherburne usually still an option.

May = Warm, long days. Tons of company. Generally good stability. Undermining is the major hazard. Freeze/thaw an issue. Sherburne ranges from fully open -> partially closed -> fully closed.

June = Long hike for short ski. Sherbie is done.

etc....

For a first timer I'd generally recommend late April. It seems to balance safety with fun and quality. But be prepared for anything at anytime.

snowmonster

Unless you love crowds or are actually competing in it, avoid the Tuckerman Inferno, which this year is from April 15-17. Even if the Sherb is still open, it'll get bumped up and scraped after that weekend. Also, if you head to Tux during that sweet spot when everyone is heading there because the ski lifts have stopped turning (mid-April to mid-May), be sure to get there early or else you might have to park at Wildcat and walk to the PNVC.