• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alterra Announces Purchase of A-Basin

thetrailboss

Staff member
We now know what some of that $3 billion will be used for.....and it is not replacing dated lifts at Sugarbush.

snoseek

Your move vail. Can we build a wall around Loveland please.

Will abasin be unlimited on ikon? Isn't crowding the reason they got off epic? I don't see this as any different if they go unlimited.

BenedictGomez

So much for all of A-Basin's anti mega pass musings.

A-Basin is my #1 pick for "Top fart-sniffing resort in America", so the hypocrisy here doesn't surprise me in the least.

BenedictGomez

We now know what some of that $3 billion will be used for.....and it is not replacing dated lifts at Sugarbush.

I think probably at least 3/4 of that money's for the village & parking garage they're creating at Snowpark, as well as the artificial city they're creating at Mayflower.

4aprice

Said this over on the Vail thread. My bet is with Arapahoe's limited parking, paid parking is the next step. Maybe a tiered system where you pay more the closer the lot is to the snow. I doubt they are going to let people park on US 6 especially with those hair pin turns at the base.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So much for all of A-Basin's anti mega pass musings.

A-Basin is my #1 pick for "Top fart-sniffing resort in America", so the hypocrisy here doesn't surprise me in the least.

When there is that much money involved......

I think I read $110 million once costs are covered.

BenedictGomez

The Vail Resorts purchase of Brighton from Boyne press release should hit this summer I imagine.

Or Alterra uses some of the $3B & buys Boyne for Big Sky, Sunday River, and Brighton. Then combines Solitude & Brighton into one resort, which would be quite easy to do.

4aprice

Your move vail. Can we build a wall around Loveland please.

Will abasin be unlimited on ikon? Isn't crowding the reason they got off epic? I don't see this as any different if they go unlimited.
Not sure they will make unlimited, they did not do that with Deer Valley and at Steamboat only the upper tier pass is unlimited. What might be the tell tale sign is if they continue to sell their own pass this spring. Winter Parks season pass is an Ikon. Arapahoe's parking is filling up already and I don't think they will be allowed to park on US 6 like they have up the Cottonwoods in Utah

snoseek

This will sell alot of passes to front range people and it tips the scale on offerings in Colorado imo. Alterra already dominates utah. I guess vail still got nh locked in...oh wait they don't give a fuck about nh sorry

BenedictGomez

Not sure they will make unlimited, they did not do that with Deer Valley and at Steamboat only the upper tier pass is unlimited.

There's no way they can make A-Basin unlimited, it's just not possible.

Only way that would be feasible is with a reservation system limiting the number of IKON attendees per day, but if you're limiting people that's not truly unlimited. More likely IMO they do something like 4 or 6 days per year on an upper-tier pass, similar to how they operate it with Deer Valley.

jaytrem

I guess they won't be on Colorado Gems after this year. Bummer!

djd66

Personally, I do not see this sale having a huge long term impact like others are saying (crowding) Abasin does not have the village, town or lodging that brings most tourists to a ski area. If I'm going to Colorado with my family on a ski vacation, sure, I might check out Abasin for a day, but I would want to be closer to the ski area. I think a lot of Ikon holders feel similar.

BenedictGomez

Alterra already dominates utah.

This is why I think Vail should swing for Brighton, it would give them something to offer on the Front. I pray that doesn't happen though. I'm already meeting lots of people skiing Park City who live on the Front who say they never used to ski there, but they're sick of the BCC/LCC craziness.

Just yesterday I rode the lift with a guy who lives in Draper & says he skied Solitude for > 25 years, but that Alterra "destroyed the place that he loves" and that he "refuses to give that company a dime."

snoseek

This is why I think Vail should swing for Brighton, it would give them something to offer on the Front. I pray that doesn't happen though. I'm already meeting lots of people skiing Park City who live on the Front who say they never used to ski there, but they're sick of the BCC/LCC craziness.

Just yesterday I rode the lift with a guy who lives in Draper & says he skied Solitude for > 25 years, but that Alterra "destroyed the place that he loves" and that he "refuses to give that company a dime."
Honestly it's so imbalanced I could see it.