• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alterra Announces Purchase of A-Basin

thetrailboss

Staff member
This is why I think Vail should swing for Brighton, it would give them something to offer on the Front. I pray that doesn't happen though. I'm already meeting lots of people skiing Park City who live on the Front who say they never used to ski there, but they're sick of the BCC/LCC craziness.

Just yesterday I rode the lift with a guy who lives in Draper & says he skied Solitude for > 25 years, but that Alterra "destroyed the place that he loves" and that he "refuses to give that company a dime."
Vail/Talisker tried to make a move on Solitude. Then Deer Valley bought it. Then Alterra bought DVR and later Solitude. Most of the folks who ski Solitude now were not skiing it 6 years ago.

No way does Boyne sell Brighton. It is too valuable to Boyne.

I'd watch Vail trying to buy Snowbird. Again, unlikely as Cummings has an emotional attachment to it.

Alterra won't sell their properties. And the Holdings are "all in" on Snowbasin. So there are not really any options. Except maybe Nordic Valley. ;)

BenedictGomez

No way does Boyne sell Brighton. It is too valuable to Boyne.
Assuming Boyne wants to continue as a family entity. The oldest son died last year, and the son running it's gotta be in his 60s. Some people wouldn't dream of selling their family's legacy, but others just decide to cash out on a gargantuan payday.
So there are not really any options.

Maybe sign Sundance as a partner resort with the real estate firm that recently acquired it. A "meh" addition, but at least it gives them something else to offer, and from Sundance's perspective I imagine it would be pretty lucrative to boost sales.

thebigo

Assuming Boyne wants to continue as a family entity. The oldest son died last year, and the son running it's gotta be in his 60s. Some people wouldn't dream of selling their family's legacy, but others just decide to cash out on a gargantuan payday.

give the podcast below below a listen. boyne not selling anything anytime soon. Crystal boils his blood, son posts about lift updates on liftblog.

JoeB-Z

If people flying in want a day at A-basin they will have some altitude problems. It has always been an issue. I always did business in Boulder for a few days before I hit A-basin.

thetrailboss

Staff member
There are kids who are interested in running it. One who is almost done college and already has a lift/ski area consulting business.
Maybe sign Sundance as a partner resort with the real estate firm that recently acquired it. A "meh" addition, but at least it gives them something else to offer, and from Sundance's perspective I imagine it would be pretty lucrative to boost sales.
Again, makes sense on paper, but no way would they want EPIC crowds.

jimmywilson69

They're going to have to limit right? Doesn't seem that any Altera owned mountains are limited on the full pass

jimmywilson69

I have faith in Al... He's been transparent all of these years about trying to control the experience there. He is a paid shill though so that is his job. I guess we'll see. Even at full parking capacity, the place doesn't ski crowded and with their location expanded parking isn't an option.

thetrailboss

Staff member
But expanded buses & shuttles sure are.

And as a bonus it will (predictably) come with free happy talk about how what they're really doing is saving the environment.
Exactly. And as the CEO of Alterra is a proud former executive at LiveNation/Ticketmaster, there will be a fee for the experience.

snoseek

They absolutely will shuttle them in if they go unlimited. It's not a long haul into town at all.

abc

But expanded buses & shuttles sure are.

And as a bonus it will (predictably) come with free happy talk about how what they're really doing is saving the environment.
If, which is a very BIG IF, they can actually pull off with large numbers coming on buses, they’d deserve the income!

There’s been all kind of talk/trial to improve access along the I-70 corridor. The truth is the Denver locals just want to get into their car and sit on the highway over anything else! With that kind of mentality, the least one need to worry is expanded bus/shuttle to A-basin bringing in any noticeable crowds. ;)

4aprice

The truth is the Denver locals just want to get into their car and sit on the highway over anything else!
They are going to be sitting in their cars alright, when they start working on Floyd Hill. The Ski Stang busses and Winter Park train exist but are pretty expensive.

I expect limited Ikon access, at least for lower tier ikon (Steamboat is set up this way) and paid parking to serve as a small buffer to the masses

thetrailboss

Staff member
They are going to be sitting in their cars alright, when they start working on Floyd Hill. The Ski Stang busses and Winter Park train exist but are pretty expensive.

I expect limited Ikon access, at least for lower tier ikon (Steamboat is set up this way) and paid parking to serve as a small buffer to the masses
Alterra has been slowly moving people off of the IKON base to something more expensive for a while now. I think that trend will continue as you have outlined.

jimmywilson69

I suspect there isn't mountain specific passes at the Altera owned resorts, correct? Do those folks have to choose between a full Ikon or a base?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I suspect there isn't mountain specific passes at the Altera owned resorts, correct? Do those folks have to choose between a full Ikon or a base?
At some there are I believe. Steamboat used to have one. But they make it a tough bargain in order to push people to IKON.

cdskier

Depends on the mountain. Sugarbush has one (it is a cheaper value pass option that is designed more for locals...they can ski all of SB midweek, but weekends and holidays the pass is only good at ME).

Then there are other resorts like Crystal and Deer Valley that are owned by Alterra that even full Ikon only gets you limited access and you have to buy the mountain specific pass for full access. Honestly I'd prefer they move more towards that model in general (or add a 3rd higher end tier for full unrestricted access and limit today's full Ikon further for more of their own mountains).