• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any body know anything about Hunter???

Funky_Catskills

Diversity, is a word that describes anything that's not homogeneous.

It can mean diversity of people, which is what this word had recently had been hijacked by the social police.

But the diversity of people who're now skiing Hunter is skiing a less diversity of terrain. Call it the dumbing down of challenges?

ummmm... The old DMC would tear into you and start a fame war. Not anymore. Not worth the effort to me.

Have a great day! I hope what ever it is you think you deserve - you get!

abc

The old DMC would tear into you and start a fame war. Not anymore. Not worth the effort to me.
I'm a card carrying Democrat (and I'm not white, for those who don't know!). But I will not hesitate to call a spade as a spade!

If anyone want to flame away, be my guest. Just don’t be surprised to find the flame blow right back at ya!

Last edited:

catskillman

Good job becoming the person that speaks for the "rest of us". :)
Just my perspective and some others as well(I don't speak for everyone - just my friends).
wow - what happened to the old Don? you were the one who spoke for the world, and usually were not very happy if I recall

drjeff

Maybe he just got disillusioned with the negative Hunter ski culture and just stepped away.

Always an interesting experience when many, who don't live or spend a bunch of time in the area, to the point where they don't really know the locals and get the full picture, start ranting on the place, and in many cases just simply because the "cool online kids" decided its the thing to do. The perceieved reality from those who aren't there more than on an occasional basis and just for a few hours at a time just can't give them the real sense of what is going on in the community.

Glad the vibe around Hunter is changing for the better in your long time local perspective! 👍

Funky_Catskills

Always an interesting experience when many, who don't live or spend a bunch of time in the area, to the point where they don't really know the locals and get the full picture, start ranting on the place, and in many cases just simply because the "cool online kids" decided its the thing to do. The perceieved reality from those who aren't there more than on an occasional basis and just for a few hours at a time just can't give them the real sense of what is going on in the community.

Glad the vibe around Hunter is changing for the better in your long time local perspective! 👍
thanks...
We live in different worlds and have different levels of what we expect from a town for sure.

Dropping off for the summah now.. Enjoy the mountains!!

jaytrem

Dropping off for the summah now.. Enjoy the mountains!!

This didn't age well, posted an emoji for Catskillman 30 min later. Not sure why Funky and Jeff are discounting his experience so much. He's got more Hunter days in than Jeff has MS days.

drjeff

This didn't age well, posted an emoji for Catskillman 30 min later. Not sure why Funky and Jeff are discounting his experience so much. He's got more Hunter days in than Jeff has MS days.

What I am referring to (and what I gathered from his context Funky Catskills was too) is more than just "on hill" experiences. It's more of the entire community experience, and that is everything from some people moving out of the community and others moving in, to how the surrounding businesses, and their owners and employees are doing.

The last few seasons, between new ownership, as well as the changes in people living in mountain communities as a result of COVID, have brought tangible changes to many mountain communities that extend far beyond when the lifts are spinning and folks are sliding downhill on snow

jaytrem

Just seems like you're only respecting Funky's experience and not Catskillman's. Kinda ironic since he seems to spend more time at Hunter than you do at MS. I just think both their experiences are worth listening to.

jaytrem

CSman is negative 90% of the time that's why. Dwells on guns and fights
That may be, but if you look at Funky's posts, the negativity tends to still find its way out. You on the other hard seem more positive most of the time. Probably means everybody should just ski more bumps.

catskillman

What I am referring to (and what I gathered from his context Funky Catskills was too) is more than just "on hill" experiences. It's more of the entire community experience, and that is everything from some people moving out of the community and others moving in, to how the surrounding businesses, and their owners and employees are doing.

The last few seasons, between new ownership, as well as the changes in people living in mountain communities as a result of COVID, have brought tangible changes to many mountain communities that extend far beyond when the lifts are spinning and folks are sliding downhill on snow
i honestly have not seen DMC all season at the mountain.

There is a ton more building activity in the area, mostly huge 2nd homes. Air B&B is an enormous business. There is supposed to be 2 new restaurants in Hunter village, but without any parking it will be very tough for them. Time will tell, but the new young crowd is not the type that will be having a sit down meal after skiing. And with the traffic on weekends, the locals stay home.

catskillman

CSman is negative 90% of the time that's why. Dwells on guns and fights
do want to have to ski around a fight, or dodge a gun in the bar? Anywhere? I have not heard of any guns at Hunter the last couple of seasons byw. Ski patrol did find a knife on a trail this season though. I do not have the details on the knife size etc...heard it on the radio riding with a courtesy patroller.

I am not negative, just accurately reporting

catskillman

and this is accurate. They made an unbelievable recovery from yesterday's storm. Coverage is quite good on the parkway and hellgate.

They were grooming Hunter 1 around noon - going to open that terrain and lifts tomorrow. Place was empty..