• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any interest in a photo contest?

Greg

Staff member
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think we should have an organized forum ski photo contest. Jon is our resident photographer, but I know some of you also like to take pics while skiing. This could be fun and there certainly would be a prize for the winner (lift tickets). A few items to consider:
  • I think we should have a theme; something like "the shot that best captures the spirit of Northeast/New England skiing"
  • Length of time for submission? Is something like 2-3 weeks sufficient?
  • Voting time period? One week?
  • Voting method - I could add a poll to a thread, but there's no mechanism for keeping members from voting for themselves. Does this even matter?
  • Any other items to consider?
Let me know your thoughts on the above points. Once this is set up, it would be great if everyone could help promote it so we can get a maximum number of entries and votes. Thoughts?

J

jlangdale

My two cents,

I really l like the idea of themes. Make it something specific like best bump or powder shot. Or funniest shot or most extreme, backcountry, etc. Best landscape/mountain or trail shot, etc. Categories would make it cool and probably easier to judge.

I also like the idea of only having current images like Sugarbush does.

Jon

Greg

Staff member
jlangdale said:
I also like the idea of only having current images like Sugarbush does.
How do you mean? Do they only allow images that were taken within a specific time frame? How can you be sure they are legit?

Great feedback.

J

jlangdale

If I tell you, then everyone will know how to by-pass it :) There are ways to tell when a picture [Correction: a 'digital' picture] was actually taken that most people don't know about.

But in general, I would agree with you. There would be no real way to tell if it was a picture from last season assuming weather conditions were similar to that week.

I think the main point is with one way of doing it, people will go back into their albums and flood the contest with great shots. Which is fine and probably a good way to get better quality pictures since you have more to work with.

On the other hand, I like the idea of coming up with an idea like best lift picture or something then having to go out and capture something specific and current as opposed to recycling old events.

Greg

Staff member
jlangdale said:
On the other hand, I like the idea of coming up with an idea like best lift picture or something then having to go out and capture something specific and current as opposed to recycling old events.
Agreed. I think we'll go with a theme and during a certain time period. Any other thoughts?

Joshua B

I like the idea. I just hope the weather will warm up so I can get out there and take some mountain pics I'm happy with. (disclaimer: warm weather skier)

Are you going to run photo contests on the hiking side too? I'd like that.

Greg

Staff member
Joshua B said:
Are you going to run photo contests on the hiking side too? I'd like that.
I could. I would have to come up with a suitable prize though. I already have an inventory of lift tickets.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Great idea but I don't think it should be limited to "bump run or extreme", some of us are not into that! While those pictures are often awesome, there are also other pictures that show the true spirit of skiing and merit award. I have an awesome picture I took a couple years ago at Okemo that shows the lift and the trees at the top covered with fresh snow. The sun is coming into the picture in such a way that it creates a sparkling winter wonderland. Of course I will not enter that one, it is a couple years old now, but there is more to skiing than just bumps and extreme.

Maybe a couple categories would be a great idea.

J

jlangdale

I was suggesting a winner in different categories, not limited to one category. Maybe two categories or just have it weekly/weekend and change it.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
excellent idea! catagories is a great idea, although i don't think there should be too many. maybe two contests a month? or one a month... so people have enough time to get out there and get some photos. maybe three catagories per rotation?

probably should have fairly specific catagories i would guess. and i think a friendly agreement to only use current pictures taken during the contest period would suffice. it would be unfair to allow people to empty out their back catalouges. perhaps link the picture to a report should be a requirement?

Greg

Staff member
Okay, based on all the feedback, let's see if I can define this a bit better.
  • The contests will be monthly, i.e. 3 weeks for photography and submission and one week of voting. For example, if we were to start a contest today, all submissions would be required by 2/4 and voting will close on 2/11 (these are just examples and not the official dates).
  • All submissions must be of pics taken within the contest photography period.
  • There will be two categories/themes per contest. Each category winner will receive a pair of lift tickets.
Does this sound good? A few open items to consider are:
  • Theme selection - should I start a thread for theme nominations and then create a poll with the first ten nominations?
  • Voting/scoring - Should we do something similar to this thread where people select their top three favorite shots, and a points system is use (#1 gets 3 point, #2 gets 2 points, and #3 gets 1 point), or should we simply vote via a thread poll? If the latter, it probably should be assumed that entrants will most likely vote for themselves, so each entrant should vote for themself, thus making this negligible.
  • Image parameters - we'll need to define image details, like a set size, e.g. 800x600?
Any thoughts on the above items?

ChileMass

How about a "professional" division (e.g., Jon, others) and an "amateur" division for those of us who are enthisiastic but just aren't in the same league equipment-wise. Any interest in that??

J

jlangdale

I'm flattered. I don't need to enter the contest. I usually post my pictures to be seen anyway. More fun than anything else. I still have a free unused ski ticket for Sugarbush for the bush contest I'm probably going to end up giving to someone else.

I don't think we are diverse enough to warrant two categories, nor do I think there is much of a distinction. Anyone can get a great shot with today's digital cameras.

Joshua B

I basically agree with Jon that a good photographer will get a good shot with most of today's equipment. For example, I don't have a digital SLR but I don't have a problem competing with someone who does.

O

oldhippie

Great Idea

This is a great idea!

I'm just back from a hard disk crash so I haven't been here for a few days ..feels like two weeks..

Anyway, I am off to Straton with my friend Wild Bill Brown tomorrow, cold and all, and will be taking some film pictures. My daughter took the Canon Digital back to college with her and I haven't replaced it yet. I've got a film scanner so I can still convert the keepers to 0s and 1s.

Anyway, good to be back and I'm looking forward to the pictures we capture!!

S

surf&ski

geographic limits?

Sounds like a great idea and a good chance to see some good shots. My question is will it be limited to new england skiing, or is in a world wide thing? Can't really see a fresh powder shot of nh beating out taos. esp. with the lack of snow thus far. I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the "comedy" shots though, so long as no one was hurt i love to see a good yard sale. :wink:

Greg

Staff member
Re: geographic limits?

oldhippie said:
I'm just back from a hard disk crash so I haven't been here for a few days ..feels like two weeks..
Hippie!!! I was wondering where you went. Welcome back!

surf&ski said:
My question is will it be limited to new england skiing, or is in a world wide thing?
I would say, yes, just the Northeast.