• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any interest in a photo contest?

Joshua B

I'm also more interested in Northeast action, but I do like seeing pictures from around the world. But I'm basically here on this board because it's NE-centric.

Greg

Staff member
Joshua B said:
I'm also more interested in Northeast action, but I do like seeing pictures from around the world. But I'm basically here on this board because it's NE-centric.
Yeah, let's stick to the region of this site. So guys and gals, I'd like feedback on the following three points and then I'll kick this thing off:

Greg said:
  • Theme selection - should I start a thread for theme nominations and then create a poll with the first ten nominations?
  • Voting/scoring - Should we do something similar to this thread where people select their top three favorite shots, and a points system is use (#1 gets 3 point, #2 gets 2 points, and #3 gets 1 point), or should we simply vote via a thread poll? If the latter, it probably should be assumed that entrants will most likely vote for themselves, so each entrant should vote for themself, thus making this negligible.
  • Image parameters - we'll need to define image details, like a set size, e.g. 800x600?
Please share your thoughts on the above items.

O

oldhippie

Photo Contest

My only suggestion on something like this is "keep it simple", the more complex the rules are and'or the voting is, the more difficult it is going to be to manage.

Keep it simple and let the areas that require management/rules to show up on their own.

Just trying to keep it simple for everyone involved.

O

oldhippie

Photos!

Well, the photos on the login page are great! I am really enjoying logging in and seeing everyone's awesome pictures of the beautiful New England area.

I haven't sent any in, I had good intentions and actually took my 35mm Canon up the mountain with me last week, but the battery didn't like the sub zero temperature and died. LOL! After all that!

BUT! I finally broke down and bought a new Canon A80, so now there will be NO getting rid of me. I'm heading up to WaWa this morning to test it out!

I'm not sure what is up lately with the photo contest, but Greg is doing a great job putting them up on the front page of this site, so thats fine too!

goin' skiin' :idea:

Greg

Staff member
Greg said:
Okay, based on all the feedback, let's see if I can define this a bit better.
  • The contests will be monthly, i.e. 3 weeks for photography and submission and one week of voting. For example, if we were to start a contest today, all submissions would be required by 2/4 and voting will close on 2/11 (these are just examples and not the official dates).
  • All submissions must be of pics taken within the contest photography period.
  • There will be two categories/themes per contest. Each category winner will receive a pair of lift tickets.
Does this sound good? A few open items to consider are:
  • Theme selection - should I start a thread for theme nominations and then create a poll with the first ten nominations?
  • Voting/scoring - Should we do something similar to this thread where people select their top three favorite shots, and a points system is use (#1 gets 3 point, #2 gets 2 points, and #3 gets 1 point), or should we simply vote via a thread poll? If the latter, it probably should be assumed that entrants will most likely vote for themselves, so each entrant should vote for themself, thus making this negligible.
  • Image parameters - we'll need to define image details, like a set size, e.g. 800x600?
Any thoughts on the above items?
This idea sort of fell by the wayside. However, I would like to still perhaps try an "abbreviated" contest this season. Since we're already in the middle of February, let's do one theme with two weeks to shoot, and one week to vote. The winner will get a pair of lift tickets (resort to be determined). For simplicity's sake, the winner will be selected by a basic thread poll. So the only item we need to define is theme for which I've started this thread:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1159

Please post your theme nominations there. I will take the first ten and put them in a poll to run for 2 days (I'd like to get the photography period started this weekend). Once the theme is defined, we'll kick this off!

Greg

Staff member
It may be fun to start this up again and after reading the NELSAP thread, I thought of an idea for a new topic:

Best pic of or from a "lost" ski area.

Another option is best snowless ski area shot.

Thoughts?

teachski

Website
teachski.com
You mean stuff like this?
bear20.JPG

Big Bear/Musket, NH
or this?
mixedski%20047.jpg

Locke Lake Colony, NH

Greg

Staff member
teachski said:
Sure. I guess the only requirement would be that it's from a lost area...

Anyone have thoughts on the snowless ski area theme?

ChileMass

Greg said:
teachski said:
Sure. I guess the only requirement would be that it's from a lost area...

Anyone have thoughts on the snowless ski area theme?

Maybe only accept pics that accompany a hiking trip to the top of the area? Or off-season shots only (summer thunderstorm, fall colors, spring runoff, etc)? Otherwise a picture of a snowless ski area is just too sad.....there has to be some redeeming quality in the shot.....

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Well, I have a problem with the hike, that puts me out, unless I can use some older stuff, for a while. I am having foot surgery tomorrow...I don't really think I'll be hiking for a while. There are some "lost" areas with good stuff that I can get to without hiking, but I would not lie and make up a hike trip to submit it. There are also some smaller areas that really do not require much of a hike if any to get some good stuff.

Ideas for categories -
Old rope tow machinery
Old Grooming equipment
Other surface lifts
Old chairs
Old lodges (most scary, etc.)

I think presentation will be a big part of the whole thing.