• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone want to move to VT?

bdfreetuna

Heavily considering both Keene and Concord NH areas in the next 2-3 years.

I'd love to move to Brattleboro area just based on accessibility to my current area and places I like to ski. But I think NH is the superior state in terms of governance, freedoms and livability.

Main advantage to VT previously was very pro 2nd Amendment. But they passed some laws in April which now gives NH the clear lead in that area as well.

ShadyGrove

Main advantage to VT previously was very pro 2nd Amendment. But they passed some laws in April which now gives NH the clear lead in that area as well.

So background checks, a 21 year old minimum purchase age, and bump stock bans are too onerous on you to move to Vermont?

Smellytele

What do you think that says about the Vermont economy?

Really just part of their marketing. How much do states usually spend on marketing. They are spending 500k the next 2 years and 200k a year after that. not sure if that is a lot for a state or not. They say they need more young people.

mbedle

Just spent an hour on the phone with my Mom discussing moving up there. So close to making that happen.

gregnye

Smellytele

I wonder if there's any restriction regarding what town/county you have to move to. For example I know tons of people (including myself) who would love to move to Burlington, but few who would like to move to a place with nothing around (jay vt. for example).

I would be the other way. I wouldn't want to be in Burlington but would love to live in the middle of no where. Cities to me are nice to visit but wouldn't want to live in one even one as small as Burlington. Seeing they want you to be able to work remote then even better - I wouldn't have to commute anywhere.

AdironRider

This news isn't really a make it or break it thing for me, but it did peak my interest none the less. With kids on the way my wife and I are looking at options back East to be within driving distance. Not to close, but close enough. Specifically buying a small farm outright and running my business as well from there.

I now own my own business, that I can run anywhere I want to put my workshop. I wonder what the restrictions on the program are, as in specific to working remotely. What about relocating a business there? If I can swing buying a place cash I could conceivably have enough free cash flow to hire a guy.

Vermont is pretty anti-business in policy, but man, if it sure isn't gorgeous pretty much everywhere. Despite being pretty nanny state, the Vermont initiatives to keep it bucolic really pay dividends. You can't go anywhere in NH mountains without seeing 30 year old billboards for StoryLand every couple hundred yards. I'm willing to pay to live in basically an Ansel Adams photo or Normal Rockwell painting at all times.

bdfreetuna

5% Normal Rockwell and 95% an extension of Upstate NY devastated economy. Could easily be the other way around.

Vermont is very, very lucky to be a prime skiing location. Still, the majority of their population suffers.

You can always open a liquor store or "dispensary"!

prsboogie

Wouldn't move there simply because of the redeculous taxes. And that is coming from a flatlander from Mass.
Heavily considering both Keene and Concord NH areas in the next 2-3 years.

I'd love to move to Brattleboro area just based on accessibility to my current area and places I like to ski. But I think NH is the superior state in terms of governance, freedoms and livability.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

bdfreetuna

Yeah -- I figure if for some reason Southwest NH isn't an option, I'd rather stay in Franklin County MA than move across the line to VT. All things considered... the devil you know, etc.

Between Greenfield and Berkshire East is some pretty nice land with good accessibility to I-91 and Route 100.

Smellytele

5% Normal Rockwell and 95% an extension of Upstate NY devastated economy. Could easily be the other way around.

Vermont is very, very lucky to be a prime skiing location. Still, the majority of their population suffers.

You can always open a liquor store or "dispensary"!

VT seems to have some interesting zoning and building codes. On any given road you'll see a trailer, a tar paper shack, another trailer with a beautiful 4 bedroom 3 bath 9k sq ft home right next to it, and then a house that has all sorts of weird additions.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I work remotely and live in NH mainly for family reasons, but I certainly appreciate the tax benefits. No better state in the Northeast for working remotely.

I don't think the tax advantages are the big reason the NH economy is so much better than VT or ME. The majority of the good jobs are either on the Seacoast or along the 3 and 93 corridors. Proximity to Boston is the real story of the state's economic strength. It's much easier to recruit recent grads from all the great schools to come an hour North to a lower cost of living place than it is to get them to move 2+ hours to ME or VT. There's also a huge population of residents who commute to mass for high wages. I think NH could raise their taxes (not that I want them to) to VT or ME levels and the economy in NH would still be far stronger than than those places. As they say, location, location, location.......

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Wouldn't move there simply because of the redeculous taxes. And that is coming from a flatlander from Mass.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I know nothing about tax rates, but I did find it funny that the article I read said Vermont had lower tax rates than NY. They are probably hoping to draw a lot from NY especially.

bdfreetuna

VT seems to have some interesting zoning and building codes. On any given road you'll see a trailer, a tar paper shack, another trailer with a beautiful 4 bedroom 3 bath 9k sq ft home right next to it, and then a house that has all sorts of weird additions.

I'm expecting half of those tar paper shacks to be covered in gold leaf paper once marijuana legalization takes full effect up there.

Funny comment though, and true. Probably not so funny if you want to live and work there.

AdironRider

I work remotely and live in NH mainly for family reasons, but I certainly appreciate the tax benefits. No better state in the Northeast for working remotely.

I don't think the tax advantages are the big reason the NH economy is so much better than VT or ME. The majority of the good jobs are either on the Seacoast or along the 3 and 93 corridors. Proximity to Boston is the real story of the state's economic strength. It's much easier to recruit recent grads from all the great schools to come an hour North to a lower cost of living place than it is to get them to move 2+ hours to ME or VT. There's also a huge population of residents who commute to mass for high wages. I think NH could raise their taxes (not that I want them to) to VT or ME levels and the economy in NH would still be far stronger than than those places. As they say, location, location, location.......

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Yeah you step off the 93/95 corridors and NH and VT are pretty much the same economically. Seacoast NH really only blew up once it became a bedroom area for Boston. Then a couple companies move in and its off to the races.

VT is at least two hours from any major economic center in the region, usually more. Tough to make most businesses work in those conditions.