• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Advertising on Other Sites?

Jcb890

Joined the TGR forum today finally and was looking in a thread about moving to Jackson Hole and came across this gem by Greg back in June!

Hi Huskydoc! May I suggest that instead of the overrated, overhyped and overpriced Tetons, that you "think outside the box" and instead relocate to a ski town in the northeast, home of the gnarliest snowriding in the USA? I would proffer that all things considered,the northeast is the clear choice. The riding is more challenging here due to the variable conditions, the snow is better due to the cold temperatures, more consistant snowfall as well as superior snowmaking (and LOTS of water for the snowmaking systems) as well as a truly more enriching urban and mountain lifestyle. Also, the culture is superior, the history is rich and the "Norman Rockwell" factor is prevalent everywhere you turn.The terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere(can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?"). If you can shred here, you can shred ANYWHERE. When you score your first Killington powder day in "Anarchy", "The Throne", "Chop Chop" or "Patsy", you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you!. You will also find that the clientele(as well as your co-workers) will tend to be more educated and well-rounded, not your typical one-dimensional western ski jocks. Okemo, Stratton, or Killington Vermont would be better than Jackson in every way!
I would also like to take this opportunity to formally invite you (as well as all TGR Maggots, NewSchoolers, Pugskiazoids, jongs and lurkers alike) to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados at http://forums.alpinezone.com/. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. I can assure you that "newbies"'(jongs) are welcomed with open arms by our entire community(unlike here at TGR), and there is no "hazing period" or rudeness tolerated. We also have superior bandwidth and response times on our 502g superfibre network as well as a state-of-the-art virtual blade server farm with 5000 terabytes of virtual disk space for your photos, blogs etc. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is strictly "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. If you are tired of the juvenile goings-on at TGR and Newschoolers and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!

Of course that response was met with some pretty funny replies, which, let's be honest, were well-deserved for that fishing attempt and advertisement for AZ. I did notice some bragging about the website... does that mean it won't be crashing/down as much this season/year?

thetrailboss

Staff member
That is a fake post. There was someone who was posing as Greg and stirring the pot. This looks like such a post.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
This was June 2018?!

They obviously don't know that Greg has been gone for probably 7 or 8 years! :lol:

prsboogie

They will drop that in sporadically whenever people get to sensitive about content or when they are trying to cut someone up.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

jimk

They will drop that in sporadically whenever people get to sensitive about content or when they are trying to cut someone up.

Thanks. That explains the very retro nature of that post. I have never posted on the TGR forums, but I'll go there once in a while for a peek at their latest stoke/discussions. The humor on there puts me off at times, but I know some of the members from other ski forums and real life and they're great people.

Whatever happened to Greg? He put a lot of effort into this site back in the day. These kind of sites are a labor of love and I could see how a manager/owner could get burnout or just develop other priorities.

Jcb890

Just thought it was odd and a possible scummy recruiting technique, did not know it was a troll/bot.

WWF-VT

"Greg / Alpinezone" posts on TGR are comedy gold. Your sarcasm meter must not be working if you really thought this was a legit advertisement. For more laughs look up posts by Damian Sanders aka Highway Star

Jcb890

"Greg / Alpinezone" posts on TGR are comedy gold. Your sarcasm meter must not be working if you really thought this was a legit advertisement. For more laughs look up posts by Damian Sanders aka Highway Star
I didn't think there was much trolling going on between boards or any reason to have my sarcasm-meter turned on, to be honest.
I couldn't stop laughing about "Greg" trying to tell people to move to New England for skiing/riding, but thought maybe it was just a hilariously-awful sales pitch to join this site.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I didn't think there was much trolling going on between boards or any reason to have my sarcasm-meter turned on, to be honest.
I couldn't stop laughing about "Greg" trying to tell people to move to New England for skiing/riding, but thought maybe it was just a hilariously-awful sales pitch to join this site.

Full disclosure: that handle was made up more than 10 years ago in response to the real Greg promoting AZ on other sites. Greg used to diplomatically promote the site in other venues. TGR folks, being in the unmoderated "Wild West" that it is, quickly mocked this. Greg tried to get TGR to delete this account but they never did.

Jcb890

Full disclosure: that handle was made up more than 10 years ago in response to the real Greg promoting AZ on other sites. Greg used to diplomatically promote the site in other venues. TGR folks, being in the unmoderated "Wild West" that it is, quickly mocked this. Greg tried to get TGR to delete this account but they never did.
Ah. Well, damn, that sucks for Greg.
Sorry for falling into the trap, haha

ironhippy

Absolutely, Greg is great at TGR.

SnowRock

No one FALLS for it, just a sarcastic slam in the face

No.. people still do fall for it, regularly. Plenty of newer posters will seriously respond to Greg not realizing it is a multi-year, maybe approaching a decade long bit.

Domeskier

Is there a corresponding uptick in new AZ members with these posts? They make a pretty compelling argument for the site.

AdironRider

No.. people still do fall for it, regularly. Plenty of newer posters will seriously respond to Greg not realizing it is a multi-year, maybe approaching a decade long bit.

Its one of the better long cons I've seen on the internet. Everything about it is perfect. The timing of posts (usually in some epic ski-esque dork thread), the complete over the top nature of the posts, and the morons who still get trolled by it. Both new users and old.

Greg was kind of a dick ultimately (go back and look at his tone changes after he sold here, and posts elsewhere), and didn't handle himself well on TGR, so he got what he deserved ultimately. He walked into the lions den trying to promote a competitive site, then cried about it.

shwilly

Greg was kind of a dick ultimately (go back and look at his tone changes after he sold here, and posts elsewhere), and didn't handle himself well on TGR, so he got what he deserved ultimately. He walked into the lions den trying to promote a competitive site, then cried about it.

Got any pointers offhand? This sounds funny, but I'm not searching through 10+ years of posts on multiple forums to find it.