• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Finance Club

ctenidae

Okay, not really. But, I'm currently reading Howard Marks' latest book "The Most Important Thing," and since there are some fairly astute folks onteh board, thought I'd point out what I think would be an interesting read for anyone interested in such things.

Howard Marks is an investing warhorse, on par with, if not better than, Warren Buffet. He co-founded Oaktree Capital when it spun out of Trust Company of the West (an investment company that, among other things, loaned money to Google way back when and got warrants that converted to stock at 25 cents per share- not a bad return), and Oaktree now runs almost $80 billion dollars.

He tends to look at things in a slightly off-kilter way- some would say contrarion, he would say second level. He writes a memo each quarter or so that goes out to Oaktree investors, and then eventually gets posted to the Oaktree website (http://www.oaktreecapital.com/MemoTree/). They are incredibly easy to understand, thought hey deal with incredibly complex matters- it's not jargon or techspeak, and you can easily picture him just talking to an audience when you read the memos.

If you're interested in getting a different view of what's going on in the financial world, I recommend reading them.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Interesting, I was talking with a friend of mine who is a mobile app developer- his cousin (I think?) is an investor at some powerhouse company down in New York. Sounds like he has a similar type of mentality. I'll read up on it - thanks for posting

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

TheBEast

I'm always looking for new perspectives on investment ideas (I'm in the business on the institutional side covering investment grade corporate credit). Thanks for sharing.

skijay

I have started to read "Diary of a very bad year: Confessions of an anonymous hedge fund manager" by Keith Gessen.

drjeff

All those birthday and anniversary numbers I use are magical and will pay off! :dunce:

Not if Deval Patrick could have any say in it ;) :lol: Of course then the lottery would go from a tax that most people don't really realize is a tax to a tax that Wa-loaf REALLY realizes is a tax :eek:

EOS

Damn! Clicked on this thread hoping AZ members were starting a finance club.

Although I did read some insightful, entertaining posts :)