• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Beijing Olympics 08/08/08

drjeff

And my favorite gymnast Nastia got robbed of a gold on the uneven bars last night. Shoulda just gone to bed.

Agreed. Although listening to the Bella Karoyli rant about the judging was quite entertaining.

I just wonder if that little Chinese gymnast who won, He, will be able to compete as a *cough* 20 year old *cough* in London in 4 years :mad: :rolleyes:

cbcbd

I suppose I can understand the prelims, but I definitely think he should've given it his all to the finish on the 100.
I think everyone would've liked to see that too, me included... but just like some commentator mentioned, there is so much about his form and technique that could be improved.
I just think he is ridiculously talented but young to the official sport. I don't think anyone really saw this coming in the magnitude that it did, not even him. His performances have really been mind blowing.
I am very excited to watch more of his races and the next olympics - by then he'll have "learned" the technique and won't be as surprised when he is breezing by the competition.
I also think that with his un-sprinter like physique, he is breaking the assumption of the required sprinter built - shorter, powerful, quick turnover. Maybe next olympics we'll also see more sprinters over 6'

Warp Daddy

And my favorite gymnast Nastia got robbed of a gold on the uneven bars last night. Shoulda just gone to bed.

I DID :D

I admire the athleticism of a gymnast but absolutely detest the "subjectivity " of the outcome.

Reminds me of some of the crap with figure skating judges in prior Olympics . These " sports" are so damned driven by political chicanery

cbcbd

Agreed. Although listening to the Bella Karoyli rant about the judging was quite entertaining.

I just wonder if that little Chinese gymnast who won, He, will be able to compete as a *cough* 20 year old *cough* in London in 4 years :mad: :rolleyes:
Bella is one cool guy... much more entertaining listening to him then to have to sit through an vanilla olympics broadcast by Costas.

And yeah, gymnastics... hmm... yeah, 16? No friggin way.

drjeff

If you didn't get to see it last night, and it's being replayed sometime today, watch the post match interview with Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Traynor. A truely great interview that captures the great spirit behind the games and life in general! (my enjoyment with the interview had absolutely nothing to do with the small, wet, white "uniforms" they were wearing either ;) )

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I love when the beach volleyball girls give signals.

You know, so I can guess what their strategy on the play will be. Nothing more beyond that. I swear.

drjeff

I love when the beach volleyball girls give signals.

You know, so I can guess what their strategy on the play will be. Nothing more beyond that. I swear.

Exactly, I just wish that the cameramen would have been more attentive with the EXTREME closeups in Super SloMo of them giving the signals, so us *cough* serious long term *cough* fans could get a better feel for the TITillating knowledge that those fingers can give rather then just ASSuming that we know ;)

SkiDork

I like the fact that not only do Misty and Kerry wear the tiny white bikini bottoms, but the sides are transparent as well. Really going for the extreme look. Way to go girls.

BTW - the tall Chinese girl from last night can really fill out her uniform...

deadheadskier

Staff member
I agree, but what I don't like is that in both the 100 meter and the 200 preliminary, Bolt kinda pulled a Manny.

Yes the goal is to win, but I think in sprinting events, the competitors should run their hardest right to the finish.

definitely made up for it in the 200

AMAZING performance. So far out in front you didn't even see the other competitors finish when he crossed the line. I read somewhere it was the most dominating 200 Olympic performance in terms of margin of victory since the race was first ran in 1900

Scary thing is he's only 20 and some people think the 400 might be his best race. How crazy would that be to see him take gold in the 100, 200 and 400 in London :eek:

ComeBackMudPuddles

definitely made up for it in the 200

AMAZING performance. So far out in front you didn't even see the other competitors finish when he crossed the line. I read somewhere it was the most dominating 200 Olympic performance in terms of margin of victory since the race was first ran in 1900

Scary thing is he's only 20 and some people think the 400 might be his best race. How crazy would that be to see him take gold in the 100, 200 and 400 in London :eek:

I'm so jaded now. All the drugs in sports makes it hard for me to really enjoy truly dominating performances. In the back of mind I'm thinking "yeah, cool, but what's he on?"

Thank you, Ben Johnson, Marion Jones, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, most NFL players, etc.....

deadheadskier

Staff member
I agree with you mud puddles. I was saying to my lady last night watching it that how could it be possible that he dominated like no one has in over 100 years and still be clean.

ComeBackMudPuddles

I agree with you mud puddles. I was saying to my lady last night watching it that how could it be possible that he dominated like no one has in over 100 years and still be clean.

True dat. If he had set the same time and just barely beat out two other runners, I think I could have more freely appreciated it.

Then again, the only running I do these days is to the fridge for some more Ben & Jerry's, so maybe I just can't relate to these dudes and that kind of athletic success anymore.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'm so jaded now. All the drugs in sports makes it hard for me to really enjoy truly dominating performances. In the back of mind I'm thinking "yeah, cool, but what's he on?"

Thank you, Ben Johnson, Marion Jones, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, most NFL players, etc.....

And most of the riders on the UCI pro cycling tour...

cbcbd

So Phelps is also on drugs?

Sorry, maybe its just the dreamer in me but I don't think he's on anything. He's too young, inexperienced, and not jaded to seem to be going for the drugs just yet. Maybe it does have to do with the fact that he is built like no other sprinter.

Phelps is definitely not on drugs..he wouldn't risk all his gold medals for a failed drug test..maybe he's on Flintstones vitamens..

Hawkshot99