• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Beijing Olympics 08/08/08

drjeff

At some point records can't be broken anymore. Could any human being ever run a mile in 1 minute? 2 minutes? Sprint 100 meters in 2 seconds?3?

That's the really cool thing about modern sports science, you just don't know what the limits are!

Heck, look at Bolt's 100 meter vistory, he basically shut it down with 15 meters or so to go and ran a 9.69 for a world record. If he had run all 100, he could have likely been in the 9.5's, and that's a number that not all that long ago WAS unthinkable.

The other thing too is take a look at the size of the modern elite athlete. With the exception of the gymnasts, practically all the guys are 6'3" plus and all the women are 5'9" plus with either really long arms or legs or both. From a pure physical standpoint, the modern athlete's of today are WAY different than those of a generation ago, and I think that it's pretty safe to say that the athlete's of a generation from now will be quite different than today.

WJenness

For the second day in a row, a US fencing squad does the improbable. First it was the Women's foil team, coming from the 7 seed (out of 8 ) to the gold medal match to take a silver. Now it is the Men's Sabre squad doing the same. The gold medal bout starts at 7:00. Will they take the gold over France? Or settle for silver? It'll be tough because 2/3 of the US squad got taken out of the individual event by the French, and the other one lost to another American.

-w

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

Phelps' run is simply amazing !
When Spitz did his thing it was hard to imagine that would EVER be topped .

Hard work ,dedication, attitude and talent is a dynamite combo to beat . Dana Torres another shining example of that at work -- what an inspiration @ 41 !!

Moe Ghoul

That's the really cool thing about modern sports science, you just don't know what the limits are!

Heck, look at Bolt's 100 meter vistory, he basically shut it down with 15 meters or so to go and ran a 9.69 for a world record. If he had run all 100, he could have likely been in the 9.5's, and that's a number that not all that long ago WAS unthinkable.

The other thing too is take a look at the size of the modern elite athlete. With the exception of the gymnasts, practically all the guys are 6'3" plus and all the women are 5'9" plus with either really long arms or legs or both. From a pure physical standpoint, the modern athlete's of today are WAY different than those of a generation ago, and I think that it's pretty safe to say that the athlete's of a generation from now will be quite different than today.

I suppose you are right, 200 years ago the average height of a man was 5'6". With genetic manipulation, tech advances, etc, who knows where it will lead. I would wager that if you graphed the trend of records broken as in swimming and running, it is levelling out and the gains are much smaller on a percentage basis. Just a guess.
I read that Phelps has size 14 feet. Those are practically tail fins and give him an enormous advantage for propulsion.

drjeff

I can't believe that the 13/14 year old Chinese gymnast competed and won gold on the uneven bars today. Screwed Liuken out of a Gold on a statiscal issue in the scoring too. :mad:

cbcbd

Watching that race was amazing!! Just to see someone completely obliterate a field with the best of the best in the world and not even look to be trying!! It was very exciting to catch a glimpse of the future!

Moe Ghoul

Doubles ping pong? Time outs in ping pong? Spectators at ping pong? I'm watching it, and it is mostly goofy gyrations leading into a serving shot, a return that's either good or it's pooched.

drjeff

I have to admit that I'm dissapointed in the Women's Beach Volleyball semi final match between May-Treanor/Walsh vs. the Brazilians. Our US girls are administering such an a$$ kicking that they're not getting nearly enough TV time tonight(espcially since they're wearing my favorite "team uniforms" ;) )

Rushski

Tivo is making watching the Olympics much easier for the wife and I. Though it is also making us watch more than we usually would. My wife's company has a couple FSEs over there and they seem to be enjoying "working" that tough assignment.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Nice SI cover....

00.arch.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Watching that race was amazing!! Just to see someone completely obliterate a field with the best of the best in the world and not even look to be trying!! It was very exciting to catch a glimpse of the future!

I agree, but what I don't like is that in both the 100 meter and the 200 preliminary, Bolt kinda pulled a Manny.

Yes the goal is to win, but I think in sprinting events, the competitors should run their hardest right to the finish.

drjeff

I agree, but what I don't like is that in both the 100 meter and the 200 preliminary, Bolt kinda pulled a Manny.

Yes the goal is to win, but I think in sprinting events, the competitors should run their hardest right to the finish.

It's all about saving as much energy as possible so that they'll have a "full tank" in the medal race. If you've got the speed to beat the a weaker field in the prelimes running at say 80%, much better to save the extra for when it really counts and you've got a the fastest competition. What I would have liked to see is Bolt actually run all the way in the finals of the 100 to see what he *could* have run rather than that "lazy" 9.69 World Record :rolleyes: ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's all about saving as much energy as possible so that they'll have a "full tank" in the medal race. If you've got the speed to beat the a weaker field in the prelimes running at say 80%, much better to save the extra for when it really counts and you've got a the fastest competition. What I would have liked to see is Bolt actually run all the way in the finals of the 100 to see what he *could* have run rather than that "lazy" 9.69 World Record :rolleyes: ;)

I suppose I can understand the prelims, but I definitely think he should've given it his all to the finish on the 100.

drjeff

I suppose I can understand the prelims, but I definitely think he should've given it his all to the finish on the 100.

I guess the scary thing with Bolt is that he feels the 200 is his best race :eek: My guess is that unless he false starts his way to a DQ, he's got his 2nd gold easily.