• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Black Mountain, NH CLOSED

Mainer

if only Someone had 10 million to spend on a south facing resort with 50 yr old lifts and minimal snowmaking infrastructure. Going to be condos . Sucks

Newpylong

No, there absolutely is a group of industry professionals interested in owning and operating the ski area as we know it but their number was/is quite a bit different than that fairyland number.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Here's a different approach. Maybe a bit more consumer friendly?🤔View attachment 62110
Well, do you know the history of the earn-your-turns crowd and Black? It is not good. He had some issues with them not staying in designating areas and BYOB on his deck. The latter could result in serious issues with the alcohol licensing authority. He claims he tried to address these issues but that he got flak. Unfortunately, it sounds like a few entitled a-holes may have ruined it for everyone.

Other areas have had issues with the EYT crowd not following set routes and getting into trouble or close to getting hurt or killed. The specific issue has been with mountain ops and in further particular winch cat operations. It is completely understandable why areas don't allow EYT due to liability concerns. I get that folks here say that it's obvious that folks are at their own risk, but it only takes one asshat getting hurt and suing to escalate insurance coverage costs for a small area. Even if it is frivolous suit.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yikes. Saw the comments on their IG post, seems like they are getting a lot of hate! They shouldn’t have posted anything at all. Poor look.
Yeah, see my post just above. There is a lot of bad blood between him and the local EYT crowd.

2Planker

The owner is a lil off the hook....
I wouldn't put it past him to prosecute to the fullest or WORSE.

YES the EYT gang fucked it up for everyone 2 years ago....

thetrailboss

Staff member

I think it is fair to say that he also has had issues himself. I get that he is a struggling small business owner.

Killingtime

No, there absolutely is a group of industry professionals interested in owning and operating the ski area as we know it but their number was/is quite a bit different than that fairyland number.
Hit Black NH this year and still had the lift ticket on my jacket when I stopped in at Loon. Lots of people came up to me and asked how it was. People are pretty passionate about the place and there's a strong local following. Cool vibe there but the neglect is obvious.

jaytrem

He gets credit for the worst employee/owner interaction with a customer that I've ever seen. Can't be gone soon enough in my opinion.

bigbob

Well, do you know the history of the earn-your-turns crowd and Black? It is not good. He had some issues with them not staying in designating areas and BYOB on his deck. The latter could result in serious issues with the alcohol licensing authority. He claims he tried to address these issues but that he got flak. Unfortunately, it sounds like a few entitled a-holes may have ruined it for everyone.

Other areas have had issues with the EYT crowd not following set routes and getting into trouble or close to getting hurt or killed. The specific issue has been with mountain ops and in further particular winch cat operations. It is completely understandable why areas don't allow EYT due to liability concerns. I get that folks here say that it's obvious that folks are at their own risk, but it only takes one asshat getting hurt and suing to escalate insurance coverage costs for a small area. Even if it is frivolous suit.
I saw a video on Facebook this morning from Saddleback Maine. it showed a couple of up hillers on a trail below wher a Cat had passed and it was moving! They where dressed in light gray colors, very difficult to see. Perhaps the mnts should require them to wear an orange vest to improve there chances of not getting hit by a Cat out doing it's job.