• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Budweiser American Ale

2knees

Mine to for the last half dozen years or so though recently I have tried to mix it up more. Harpoon IPA almost tastes too light to me now after having sampled so many hefty beers and taken on Double Bag as my other go to beer.

you call sam adams swill yet you drink long trail.....

something smells here.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
you call sam adams swill yet you drink long trail.....

something smells here.

I'll be the first to admit that most Long Trail isn't the best. But Double Bag is in a league of its own. One of the best damn beers around. And it makes most SA taste worse than swill. Like I said, I say that coming from being a Sam Adams Boston Ale drinker for my first two or three years of legal drinking age. Any one that worships Sam as a truly good beer needs to live a little bit.

:stirpot:

Yea, I am a beer snob. I enjoy drinking beers that taste good. So what?

Greg

Staff member
Not a fan of Double Bag. Sneaks up on me too quick and then it's too late. I'll drink merlot if I want that effect. Drinking some more Bud Ale swill tonight.

BeanoNYC

Anyone know what specific style of ale this is supposed to be? Or are they "inventing" their own style(sort of like the "weasel piss" category invented by Busch...)?

Classified as an amber ale. Two row barley and caramel malt. Bittering and aroma hopped in the boil and dry hopped in the secondary. All ingredients are grown in the U.S.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I never said I wouldn't drink Sam or that Sam is like a Bud or anything. It is not truly piss like Bud is so my swill comment was a little exaggeration. But c'mon... what would you put on par with Sam? If I am way out of my league... batter up! Let's talk good beers and let's talk what a Sam compares with.

frozencorn

While I won't agree with the assessment that Sam is swill, none of their products really excite me anymore. Ditto with Long Trail Ale...though I love their IPA.

Gotta wonder with IPAs becoming all the rage if Sam might start to produce their version on a larger scale than in the mix packs.

There's also this I'd like to try....friend of mine had them the other night and was raving...and he's a huge Harpoon IPA fan.

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/index.cfm?pid=116620

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Geez, and I thought I was so enlightened because my father and his family love Rolling Rock while I usually stick with Sam Adams/Hefeweizen/Magic Hat #9. :oops: Guess I'm still in the swill market. ;)

Last edited:

Glenn

I forgot to mention...not only do I drink Mich Ultra...I do so out of cans.

*gasp*

drjeff

Geez, and I thought I was so enlightened because my father and his family love Rolling Rock while I usually stick with Sam Adams/Hefeweizen/Magic Hat #9. :oops: Guess I'm still in the swill market. ;)

Generally speaking swill vs. good stuff rule of thumb. If it's sold many supermarkets - probably has swill tendencies(although there are some smaller independent supermarkets that do have good beer selections). If its sold in ALL package stores - probably has swill tendencies. If it's sold in only a few package stores with usually no more than 2 or 3 4/6 packs on the shelf probably not swill - then it just gets down to what happens when it hits your taste buds.

Bottomline in my book, cold beer is kind of like sex, even when it's bad, its still pretty good :)

frozencorn

Agreed on the Ruination. The Victory Hop Wallop is also excellent. I like it better than the Hop Devil.

Vortex

Late in on this. I have not intention of trying it. I paid $10.99 for a 12 pack of sierra nevada yesterday and $9.99 for a 12 pack of Saranac Pale ale. No need to change, High end beer at low end prices. Well I lied I bought I got 2 twelve packs of each. Market Basket Hudson Nh.:flag: Ya no deposit either.:smash: Went out to get milk for the weekend,:roll:

Vortex

i just re-read this thread. Roark is the right one to have a micor brew with, but I would not share his bourbon, needs a better tansportation device.:flag:

Greg

Staff member
Now Sam and anything being sold in a supermarket is considered swill? Geez, you guys are beer snobs... :roll:

drjeff

Now Sam and anything being sold in a supermarket is considered swill? Geez, you guys are beer snobs... :roll:

Nope, I purposely left myself ALOT of leeway with that one :) And I will never put Sam in the swill category. It was the first legal 6 pack I ever bought when I turned 21 and has been one of my staples ever since :) :beer: :) :beer:

Heck, I've been to many a supermarket (mostly in small towns) that have a beer selection that will rival almost any package store! Although in my mind, for beer selection fun, there's very few places that can top Yankee Spirits in either Attleboro or Sturbridge, Mass. Whenever I go there, 2 things are certian #1 I'm in there for atleast an hour and #2 I'm spending atleast $100