• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Budweiser American Ale

roark

Now Sam and anything being sold in a supermarket is considered swill? Geez, you guys are beer snobs... :roll:

The last 20 (and I feel, in particular the last 5) years have seen some incredible innovation in the craft beer market. Unfortunately very little beyond the American interpretation of standard British Ales has made it to my local supermarket shelves.

Harpoon IPA, Sierra, Smutty Pale, etc. are fine. Just not exciting. There are a lot of stellar American microbrews out there- if you can find them. That's why I get so annoyed by marketing like Bud American Ale that is just more of the same. It's an obvious ploy to take up shelf space. With the local beer distributor on board, the "good" stuff can't get through. I have to go to VT and pay redemption + sales tax just to get what I consider a "good" beer. And it pisses me off.

frozencorn

Nope, I purposely left myself ALOT of leeway with that one :) And I will never put Sam in the swill category. It was the first legal 6 pack I ever bought when I turned 21 and has been one of my staples ever since :) :beer: :) :beer:

Heck, I've been to many a supermarket (mostly in small towns) that have a beer selection that will rival almost any package store! Although in my mind, for beer selection fun, there's very few places that can top Yankee Spirits in either Attleboro or Sturbridge, Mass. Whenever I go there, 2 things are certian #1 I'm in there for atleast an hour and #2 I'm spending atleast $100

I've always meant to get there, but now I certainly will make it a point. Also good, Cork's in Mansfield, although since they got the go to sell hard liquor (and their former, awesome beer man left), they've really slacked on bringing in new and exciting micros. And their prices have become exorbitant.

drjeff

I've always meant to get there, but now I certainly will make it a point. Also good, Cork's in Mansfield, although since they got the go to sell hard liquor (and their former, awesome beer man left), they've really slacked on bringing in new and exciting micros. And their prices have become exorbitant.

WELL worth the drive up 84. Almost like a trip to Disney for a beer/wine/booze in general lovers! Better than Table and Vine IMHO

Basically, the Sturbridge location is less than 1/2 mile off 84 on Rte 20 West. Unfortunately whenever I goto Vermont I have to drive right by there ;)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
There's a liquor/wine shop in Torrington near Wendy's that has a lot of different beers. Even some you can buy by the bottle from over the pond. There was a point when I would pick up a few by the bottle just to try different flavors. I'm lazy these days, though, and just hit the grocery store while I'm there already doing the shopping. Plus that liquor store is where I smashed a bottle of coconut rum over the counter a few weeks back, so I'm a little embarrassed to go in there right now. :oops: