• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke

Heading to Burke on Tuesday for a day on our way to Jay for a couple of days next week. I've never skied Burke and look like we're hitting it pretty decent conditions/open terrain wise.

Question - I know the lower mountain isn't really worth skiing, but can we park at mid-burke (Hotel) area and boot up there or does it make sense to just go the the Sherburne Lodge and start/end there.

Actually kind of pumped to finally hit Burke and also to add a rare, never skied NE area to my list of areas skied.

Thanks in advance.

Mainer

You can boot up at the mid lodge where the bear den is

Edd

Love Burke and haven’t been in years. Please post pics if you get some good ones.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Heading to Burke on Tuesday for a day on our way to Jay for a couple of days next week. I've never skied Burke and look like we're hitting it pretty decent conditions/open terrain wise.

Question - I know the lower mountain isn't really worth skiing, but can we park at mid-burke (Hotel) area and boot up there or does it make sense to just go the the Sherburne Lodge and start/end there.

Actually kind of pumped to finally hit Burke and also to add a rare, never skied NE area to my list of areas skied.

Thanks in advance.
Yes. As said, either boot up at MidBurke or the Day Lodge at the new Hotel. MidBurke has no services before 11am.

Thanks for the quick responses. So will plan to head to mid-Burke Lodge and look for Bear Den to start the day. Conditions look better than I expected a couple of weeks ago so looking forward to exploring a mountain and trees I've always heard a lot of, but never got a chance to ski.

jaytrem

Love the trees there! Easier to deal with the runouts on skis compared to a snowboard. So if you're do both, probably best to go with the skis that day. Enjoy!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thanks for the quick responses. So will plan to head to mid-Burke Lodge and look for Bear Den to start the day. Conditions look better than I expected a couple of weeks ago so looking forward to exploring a mountain and trees I've always heard a lot of, but never got a chance to ski.
I grew up skiing here. Happy to offer advice and tips.

Check out Bear Den for a beer. Then Dirt Church for apres.

T- minus 9 hours to departure. Thanks for the insight everyone.

Will be skiing w a couple of intermediates who won't want to venture into the trees, but I'll hopefully hit the East Bowl area and other trees with one of of four who will def. want to explore with me. If weather permits (going to be cold!!), I'll try to get some pics up. Unfortunately, its a day on our way to Jay so may be shorter than I'd like.

Appreciate the info.

thetrailboss

Staff member
T- minus 9 hours to departure. Thanks for the insight everyone.

Will be skiing w a couple of intermediates who won't want to venture into the trees, but I'll hopefully hit the East Bowl area and other trees with one of of four who will def. want to explore with me. If weather permits (going to be cold!!), I'll try to get some pics up. Unfortunately, its a day on our way to Jay so may be shorter than I'd like.

Appreciate the info.
With the HSQ's, you get a lot of skiing in a short amount of time.

Burke was GREAT!

3-4 inches of unexpected cold, dry powder was sweet. The only issue of course was it covered up a lot of rock/ice etc on some of the trails, but we explored and got in over 25k vertical, and we quit early as we had a drive up to Jay later that day. East Bowl was phenomenal although I was not a fan of the run-out. Powerline, Birches, Jungle, Dougs were fun. The cruisers all skied effortlessly and the perfect bluebird day w zero wind made it so nice. There was no-one there either so we felt like we had the place to ourselves.

My only complaint (and it's not really a complaint) was there were a lot of flattish areas near the base where we had to pole/skate a bit more than expected, but once you got to know the terrain a bit it got easier. I did find the trail map a bit confusing as it could really use James N's touch, but whatever.

And the Bear Den.....what a great ski area bar!