• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched season pass deal

thetrailboss

Staff member
:eek: A good deal, indeed. I know that they dropped the price in March to $250 or so, and it was to include that month and this year.

I also heard that they fell well below their projections and expectations last year and were really looking to bring in some momentum so as to make up for the loss.

I like seeing the mountain up again and it is great that a "lost" mountain can return. They did go to the Boston Ski Show and I noticed that they were not making much effort to get attention (such as, "hey, we're new. Come by...check out this promo"). Their pricing structure was also less than attractive, but this has been remedied.

I'm sure that they will get their feet underneath them.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hammer (or Greg)--be sure to mention this pass in Greg's thread, "Skiing on the Cheap 2004-5"

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
Hammer (or Greg)--be sure to mention this pass in Greg's thread, "Skiing on the Cheap 2004-5"

Done.

Charlie Schuessler

I live just South of Crotched Mountain and bought into one of their programs last year, which is good for three years. Us "Locals" enjoy the mountain beyond words, and well, you know how it is...we don't want it too crowded...

In terms of "Hitting-the-Numbers" based on what I saw, I believe they opened too late in terms of signing up school programs and getting into the mass-marketing thing. In addition, to the job market being soft in New England, opening a new ski mountain in the middle of three long standing mountain operations and financing it from the Mid-West is a bit of a risk.

I hope they succeed and the mountain remains open for many decades. It will serve the public well and keep the other areas from being over-crowded for us locals to enjoy…
:wink:

RISkier

My gut feeling is that Crotched will not only catch on but will ultimately thrive. Were we closer I'd jump at the pass, but several other areas are just a little bit further and I don't see us going to Crotched enough to really make it worthwhile. Still too far for us to run over for a couple of hours or a bit of night skiing.

Joshua B

Charlie Schuessler said:
I live just South of Crotched Mountain and bought into one of their programs last year, which is good for three years. Us "Locals" enjoy the mountain beyond words, and well, you know how it is...we don't want it too crowded...

In terms of "Hitting-the-Numbers" based on what I saw, I believe they opened too late in terms of signing up school programs and getting into the mass-marketing thing. In addition, to the job market being soft in New England, opening a new ski mountain in the middle of three long standing mountain operations and financing it from the Mid-West is a bit of a risk.

I hope they succeed and the mountain remains open for many decades. It will serve the public well and keep the other areas from being over-crowded for us locals to enjoy…
:wink:

Charlie, I see that you don't want Crotched or the other local hills to get too crowded. :D What are the other local hills you like?

Charlie Schuessler

Local areas huh… well Crotched has some very good glades skiing to enjoy after lunch on any day the sun is shining. Pat's Peak is fun right after work and Ski Club Races at night, HOWEVER you must be ready for the School programs the first 6-7 weeks of the year (January-February). Sunapee is not much further and is great for 2-for-1 Weekdays and Sunday afternoons.

When Temple was open, for a number of years, I chaperoned School Programs there. I also benefited from the 5-minute ride from my house to make turns with the kids (you can dress them at home, drive them there, jump out of the car and into the bindings and be on the lift in two minutes).

Within an hour of driving, Tenney Mountain is great for weekdays as is Gunstock and was Alpine Ridge (unfortunately gone forever...) Dartmouth Skiway can be fun with the right people.

There is a little mountain in Franklin NH operated by the City for the YOUTH and citizens of the town, FUN, FUN, FUN. A local Doctor who started it and left it in a trust for this purpose left it to the City. It also offers great local hiking and non-sanctioned camping.

For a number years it looked like the small areas were going away caused by the "destination resorts" marketing. What appears to be happening, is kids want to ski/slide more than one week and one weekend a year, and the big areas are to far for families to go more often. Areas like Pat’s Peak became very aggressive with School Programs and TEACHING KIDS to ski safely, efficiently. Some areas that are closed may never reopen, and I feel (as well as other ski/slide enthusiast) that the Crotched re-opening was a blessing from the snow gods.

For what it’s worth, I like to go to the local areas and polish my technique, test equipment tuning, meet some friends, enjoy a cocktail afterwards and be home before the clock has ticked off too much time.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Charlie wrote, "For what it’s worth, I like to go to the local areas and polish my technique, test equipment tuning, meet some friends, enjoy a cocktail afterwards and be home before the clock has ticked off too much time."

Having fun--isn't that what skiing is all about????

I grew up at smaller mountains. Truth be told I was spoiled by the terrain at Burke and would go there when we had the money. Most of my teen years were spent skiing at the volunteer run Lyndon Outing Club--complete with a T-bar and a vintage rope tow! No snowmaking, so you'd better be able to turn quickly! I find that the larger mountains do have more snow, faster lifts and more trails, but also blah trails, crowds, and people who are more interested in flashing their clothing or new car/skis to others who may not have the same.

Case in point: I was at Burke this winter with its downhome feel and diehards. I rode up the lift with a woman who was wearing a mink coat, fur hat, spandex, and expensive skis. The other couple on the lift was like, "wow, this place is great. The trails are really nice," and I agreed. It was nice to hear this. She pipes up, "well, the trails suck. This is nothing compared to Stowe." Before she could say anything more I kindly responded, "so, why are you here? Maybe you should go back to Stowe!" :dunce:

The last thing I want on a day of skiing is someone looking down on the mountain and those of us who ski it.

I think that most of the people here would agree...it doesn't matter where you are skiing or what you are skiing on, what matters is that you are skiing and having a good time! :beer:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Charlie Schuessler said:
Well excuuuuse me. What I described is what makes it fun for me. For others it's trying other mountains, buying expensive clothes, etc... Mouthing off to people on the lift is rude and inconsiderate. If that is your idea of fun, go ride the T in Boston all day. Oh and stay there.

I think that you have misunderstood what was said and the spirt in which it was said. :( I was praising you and your point that small mountains are good. This is where I grew up! What is wrong with supporting your point?

Charlie, as a native Vermonter, I don't mouth off to people as you explicitly state here and I am not an "inconsiderate" person. My point here was that the woman was slamming Burke and its skiers for being "unsophisticated" :angry:. You would not be somewhat offended if someone looked down at you? In a civil way, I defended the mountain and those who enjoy it. As I said, it is not about what you ski or where you ski, but that you are skiing and I responded in an appropriate manner.

I apologize if I offended you.

hammer

It looks like the posts are going off of the original thread a little bit... :(

FWIW, I just wanted to let everyone know about what looked like a pretty good deal for those who are inclined to frequent Crotched this season.

hammer

Just checked the site yesterday and it looks like Crotched is offering their "SnoCard" again.

http://www.crotched.com/GiftCards.html

Did anyone get one of those last season? This also looks like a good deal, especially if you also do rentals and/or lessons (although not as good as a $199 season pass).

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Not to get off the subject, and trust me, I will pull this back into the subject at hand (Crotched Mountain Pass value), but I have to add this.

Wachusett seems to have some clientel that think that they are better than others as well. A few years ago I went there one early season day for a ski patrol clinic. It was actually a good snow year and they had all 3 chairs open. Unsure what I would find when I got there, however, I brought my old skis. I had just purchased a new pair of Volants (this was when they first came out) and some Dachstein boots. I didn't want to risk ruining the skis on rocks. My old skis had not been adjusted to my new boots yet, so I just used my old ones.

I was riding up the summit lift to meet other patrollers at the top hut. Being a patroller from a different area, they did not allow me to wear my NSP coat. I went through the singles line and got on the chair with some "fine" Princeton youths.

On the way up the lift they were snickering amongst themselves, then one turns to me and says, "like the skis and boots, where'd you get them, out of someone's cellar?" Then he turned to his friend and snickered some more. I tried to ignore, but he asked again. I said, "yeah, I got them out of the cellar today. (I couldn't lie, they were in my cellar)" Then he says, "this your first time skiing." I couldn't lie, it was my first time skiing (that season).

He and his friend continued to snicker and make snide remarks. As we approached the summit he said, you ought to ride the lift back down, this is the hardest stuff up here, you might get hurt. Those skis are too long for you." I said, Oh, really, my friends told me to meet them up here, I'll be ok." They continued to tell me that I was going to kill myself, so I came up with a "plan" in the last couple seconds of my ride.

As we were lifting the bar they told me that I had best go to the left. I was going to the right. As I stood to get off I did an unbalanced thing, threw my arems around a little and looked like I didn't know what I was doing. They watched me as I continued forward "trying" to wedge to a stop. I then turned myself by stepping and went toward the group of patrollers standing just down hill of the patrol house there. I broke into short swing...you should have heard their comments then. :lol:

Ok, back to the Crotched Pass. Crotched really isn't that far from my house. I might just invest in their pass to avoid having to go to Wachusett midweek. I would NEVER go to Wachusett on the weekend.

It's nice to have Crotched as an alternative.

Charlie Schuessler

I purchased the Sno-Card early last year when they first announced it. Found it handy and felt good helping them out with some up front cash to open with. The $199.00 deal is very good, but I still have some credit remaining for this season. See you on the slope...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good point, Teachski. Some of the nicest people I know are on some older skis and equipment. As long as you are enjoying the sport in your own way, that is all that matters.

I consider Pat's, Burke, and Crotched to cater to this kind of clientele: come as you are and ski! :D

Charlie Schuessler

thetrailboss said:
Good point, Teachski. Some of the nicest people I know are on some older skis and equipment. As long as you are enjoying the sport in your own way, that is all that matters.

I consider Pat's, Burke, and Crotched to cater to this kind of clientele: come as you are and ski! :D

Does that include fur coats and snooty attitudes? :wink:

Just asking.....

Charlie Schuessler

Isn't that the truth... :blink:

The walk from the parking lot is the easy part of loosening up before stepping into the bindings...

11/15 can't get here soon enough! :lol: