• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Day tickets going through the roof in Vermont

KustyTheKlown

i went from being a 35 days a year kind of skier to a 50+ days a year kind of skier when max came along. almost entirely related to cost savings. this also coincided with hitting my 30s and starting to make decent-ish money

KustyTheKlown

i'm kind of the opposite. when the cost to ski per day plummeted, and also when we had that really dismal snow season a few years back, my mentality shifted to just enjoying skiing no matter what, even if conditions arent ideal. wet rain is basically the only thing that will stop me. -15 degrees, all good. white ribbon of death, that's fine. one open slushy mogul run available in late April, I'm game. i obviously still love great conditions and seek out powder skiing, but i went from being a bit of a conditions nazi to being able to really just appreciate any skiing i get. when the cost is nothing i just want to ski more.

just booked a hotel in rutland for nov 19 so i can be at sugarbush opening day. the motels look more expensive this year, as are most other things. may need to revert to more of my midnight lunatic drives this season if the rodeway inn is >100$

KustyTheKlown

ski club isnt for me. i want my own private room with my own private bathroom across the street from a Mcdonalds and a dennys. I'm not up there to make friends. to each their own, just not my scene.

Bosco DaSkia

You do get your own room. I’m not sure where are you get the idea that you don’t.

Making friends is not a requirement either.

You’re under no obligation to interact with anybody at all at any time.

The majority of the times that I stay there I am the only one in the lodge. The very few times that there are other people, you barely even notice them. You might see them coming and going, and if you spend some time in the kitchen cooking you might see them there. But you also might not. I’ve never had any more interaction at the lodge than I would’ve had at a typical hotel.

To each his own, and it really doesn’t make any difference to me if you use this place or not. But you might wanna try it before you knock it.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If you’re paying more than $28 a night for lodging in Vermont, you’re paying too damn much….

Fact.

https://onondagaskiclub.org/Lodge-Reservations-Rates#Rates

https://onondagaskiclub.org/The-Lodge

15 miles to sugarbush, 30 miles to killington.

View attachment 52137

View attachment 52138

View attachment 52139

Appreciate the excellent tip. Unfortunately not real convenient to anywhere I am likely to ski this year with my Epic and Indy passes, but good to know about

KustyTheKlown

You do get your own room. I’m not sure where are you get the idea that you don’t.

Making friends is not a requirement either.

You’re under no obligation to interact with anybody at all at any time.

The majority of the times that I stay there I am the only one in the lodge. The very few times that there are other people, you barely even notice them. You might see them coming and going, and if you spend some time in the kitchen cooking you might see them there. But you also might not. I’ve never had any more interaction at the lodge than I would’ve had at a typical hotel.

To each his own, and it really doesn’t make any difference to me if you use this place or not. But you might wanna try it before you knock it.

the site for that club says most rooms are dorm style, with a couple of privates. i appreciate the suggestion, just not what i'm looking for.

urungus

$56 for a private room (for $28 you have to shack up with a stranger), plus you have to be a member of the club ($32), plus you are required to do chores

KustyTheKlown

despite my continuing resistance, i appreciate your insights and info, and if inflation keeps inflating may go that route. for the foreseeable future its the bright city lights of rutland for me most weekends.

Cobbold

Do you find you ski more because of the super passes? Or did something else change?
Don’t know what happened to me, but went back and forth between ikon or epic, pulled the trigger on epic, then became a 58 year old groupie, started reading every article about Katz, Brian Fairbanks, rusty gregory, asc guy, snowmaking, grooming, lifts, got diamonds books, found this and other skier forums. Up till then could not care who owned or ran what ski area just showed up skied then went home. The Whole industry fascinates me, all the different business models being used, different personalities, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edd

ThatGuy

You’re right. I should’ve said $28 per person per night. That said, you aren’t required to have two people to get a room.

And “chores“ are not required. Just clean up after yourself. If you don’t make a mess you won’t have anything to do.

And don’t forget that your club membership comes with a free night and the lodge.

There are only two dorm rooms. One men’s and one women’s. And again, the majority of the time I’ve been there there’s been nobody staying in the dorm rooms. All of the lodge reservations are done online. As such, you can see if any of the other rooms are reserved or not. You will know ahead of time if anybody else is going to be there, and what rooms they’ll be in.

View attachment 52140

View attachment 52141

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about how these clubs operate. Most of them really couldn’t care less whether you are socially engaged with the club or not. You can partake in the trips and social activities if you want to, or you can just use the benefits of cheap trips, tickets and lodging. It’s entirely up to you.
Thanks for the info, might see you up there. Going to save some money not having to get a hotel for my Stowe/Jay days.

PAabe

You can still night ski fairly inexpensively around here. Going to Vermont to try and ski for the first time is definitely not a good financial move.
At many of the places a beginner can get a ticket+rental+maybe even a bundled group lesson sub-$80ish, and there are $20-$55ish night tickets available at most places.
However, Vail and KSL are increasing day ticket prices significantly at their PA hills. Vail draws enough of a crowd from their pass from MD/DC/NY and KSL makes bank on New Yorkers' poconos vacations at Camelback (coming soon to Blue yay) so that they don't have to offer cheap day/night tickets to draw a crowd.

There is an executive golf course near me currently $10 for 9 holes pitch and putt. This is the only place I have golfed at around here because I am not very good.
Point being I guess, the nicest or otherwise most in-demand places (epic & ikon areas in vermont) will charge a lot more but if you are a beginner or don't care about going to the "nicest" places all the time you can save some significant $$$

If I go to vermont and don't have a buddy to split the cost I'll be sleeping in my car because motels are looking too expensive right now

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
You’re right. I should’ve said $28 per person per night. That said, you aren’t required to have two people to get a room.

And “chores“ are not required. Just clean up after yourself. If you don’t make a mess you won’t have anything to do.

And don’t forget that your club membership comes with a free night and the lodge.

There are only two dorm rooms. One men’s and one women’s. And again, the majority of the time I’ve been there there’s been nobody staying in the dorm rooms. All of the lodge reservations are done online. As such, you can see if any of the other rooms are reserved or not. You will know ahead of time if anybody else is going to be there, and what rooms they’ll be in.

View attachment 52140

View attachment 52141

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about how these clubs operate. Most of them really couldn’t care less whether you are socially engaged with the club or not. You can partake in the trips and social activities if you want to, or you can just use the benefits of cheap trips, tickets and lodging. It’s entirely up to you.

Stop...stop! I miss my ski club already. That house has a nice floor plan. Loved nights at my ski club house.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You can still night ski fairly inexpensively around here. Going to Vermont to try and ski for the first time is definitely not a good financial move.
At many of the places a beginner can get a ticket+rental+maybe even a bundled group lesson sub-$80ish, and there are $20-$55ish night tickets available at most places.
However, Vail and KSL are increasing day ticket prices significantly at their PA hills. Vail draws enough of a crowd from their pass from MD/DC/NY and KSL makes bank on New Yorkers' poconos vacations at Camelback (coming soon to Blue yay) so that they don't have to offer cheap day/night tickets to draw a crowd.

There is an executive golf course near me currently $10 for 9 holes pitch and putt. This is the only place I have golfed at around here because I am not very good.
Point being I guess, the nicest or otherwise most in-demand places (epic & ikon areas in vermont) will charge a lot more but if you are a beginner or don't care about going to the "nicest" places all the time you can save some significant $$$

If I go to vermont and don't have a buddy to split the cost I'll be sleeping in my car because motels are looking too expensive right now
Is Vail keeping night skiing at these places? They got rid of it at PCMR.

FBGM

Hey they have TWO trails open, LOL. Tix for tomorrow are $73

View attachment 52154
That’s wild. I’m sure people are paying it. I know buy a pass, what sucker gets ticket window. But still, holy shit.

I always compared skiing to golf. Both are the sports I do. And are both expensive. I’ve always been content to spend $80 on a good round of golf. And for the most part, you can find higher end public courses for that price. Sure your odd balls like Pebble or BethPage are more. But say $225 for a day at Vail. It’s “Vail”. That’s the Pebble Beach (you know what I mean - Think like a Texan here)

So do we except $200-$400 to ski a high end resort? For window tickets - the 1 round.

But I’d you ski say 30 runs a day. And a ticket is $300. That’s $10 a run. That makes it seem better?

Im a few in and just trying to find a spin on this.

PAabe

From what I understand Vail has kept night skiing going at the PA places but only certain days of the week, not as late, and it's not really a great deal anymore. IIRC like $80 for a night ticket at roundtop - I'm not paying $80 to ski down the ice in the dark at roundtop when I can go to almost anywhere else for half the cost or less. Sucks for the Maryland gang though, Vail has that market cornered

thetrailboss

Staff member
From what I understand Vail has kept night skiing going at the PA places but only certain days of the week, not as late, and it's not really a great deal anymore. IIRC like $80 for a night ticket at roundtop - I'm not paying $80 to ski down the ice in the dark at roundtop when I can go to almost anywhere else for half the cost or less. Sucks for the Maryland gang though, Vail has that market cornered
That sucks.