• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Day tickets going through the roof in Vermont

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I expect that at $73-$79 a head this weekend, Friday a give away to juat pass holders, and attendance sure to drop dramatically on weekdays (along with ticket prices) K will wind up losing money on the snowmaking and staffing investment they made to get open their first week.

But they get bragging rights and the longest season in the east streak no doubt boosts their pass sales.

jimmywilson69

From what I understand Vail has kept night skiing going at the PA places but only certain days of the week, not as late, and it's not really a great deal anymore. IIRC like $80 for a night ticket at roundtop - I'm not paying $80 to ski down the ice in the dark at roundtop when I can go to almost anywhere else for half the cost or less. Sucks for the Maryland gang though, Vail has that market
That sucks.

It sure does no affordable adult option for night skiing and the school programs have been neutered as well.

Lots of people were pissed as they were forced out of the sport. Seems odd, even for me, but there were lots of people who enjoyed skiing at Roundtop at night after work and had no interest in skiing anywhere else.

Doesn't affect me so much, but it was the way that I eventually graduated to a full pass and became a much better skier

Vail does suck the only thing I can do is ski as much as possible and spend $0 dollars on the their resorts

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

It sure does no affordable adult option for night skiing and the school programs have been neutered as well.

Lots of people were pissed as they were forced out of the sport. Seems odd, even for me, but there were lots of people who enjoyed skiing at Roundtop at night after work and had no interest in skiing anywhere else.

Doesn't affect me so much, but it was the way that I eventually graduated to a full pass and became a much better skier

Vail does suck the only thing I can do is ski as much as possible and spend $0 dollars on the their resorts
If someone wants to night ski with any regularity (even only 2 times a month) the $499 NE Value Pass is a pretty reasonable deal, particularly with all the other skiing options it provides - and for seniors, youth, and students prices range from $345-$399

jimmywilson69

I get it, but just 3 seasons ago you could ski nights from 1/1 to close in March starting at $199. Was the local private ownership way under pricing it? Or was it a similar strategy to the mega pass? They used to make a lot of money on those night passes.

I also don't fault Vail for closing Monday and Tuesday nights. Place was a ghost town those nights unless it snowed

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I expect that at $73-$79 a head this weekend, Friday a give away to juat pass holders, and attendance sure to drop dramatically on weekdays (along with ticket prices) K will wind up losing money on the snowmaking and staffing investment they made to get open their first week.

But they get bragging rights and the longest season in the east streak no doubt boosts their pass sales.

I doubt they lose money. If they did they wouldn't have invested in the stairs 10 years ago.

Also for Killington they have sooooo much ground to cover with their snowmaking. All this snow they're making up in North Ridge is freeing up resources they can use to blast other trails before Christmas. It could stay below freezing the entire time between now and Christmas and they wouldn't be able to make snow on all the terrain. Just getting a decent base on a few trails now is a good thing.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I doubt they lose money. If they did they wouldn't have invested in the stairs 10 years ago.

Also for Killington they have sooooo much ground to cover with their snowmaking. All this snow they're making up in North Ridge is freeing up resources they can use to blast other trails before Christmas. It could stay below freezing the entire time between now and Christmas and they wouldn't be able to make snow on all the terrain. Just getting a decent base on a few trails now is a good thing.
I think it makes good economic sense to spend more than they take in on day ticket sales to be the first to open and last to close by a good margin, because it builds their brand and drives pass sales in an era when so many pass purchasers are gravitating to Epic and Ikon.

And while the investment in early snow making might make sense some years, it quite likely does not this year with the warm weather on the horizon and likely rain next weekend.

Probably if they were only looking at the short term economic return it would have made more sense to start snow making when it gets cold again around Nov 15 and target a Nov 19 opening. But then they would have lost what differentiates their brand (kind of like what Vail did to Wildcat and Big Boulder, both k own for long seasons within their regions - as public corporations tend to focus on quarterly results over long term strategy).

Smellytele

I think it makes good economic sense to spend more than they take in on day ticket sales to be the first to open and last to close by a good margin, because it builds their brand and drives pass sales in an era when so many pass purchasers are gravitating to Epic and Ikon.

And while the investment in early snow making might make sense some years, it quite likely does not this year with the warm weather on the horizon and likely rain next weekend.

Probably if they were only looking at the short term economic return it would have made more sense to start snow making when it gets cold again around Nov 15 and target a Nov 19 opening. But then they would have lost what differentiates their brand (kind of like what Vail did to Wildcat and Big Boulder, both k own for long seasons within their regions - as public corporations tend to focus on quarterly results over long term strategy).
Umm didn't wildcat open earlier and stay open later under pass regimes?

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Umm didn't wildcat open earlier and stay open later under pass regimes?
Pretty sure that is not the case since it has been Epic (public corporation). I believe Peak was privately held. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I am not an expert in Wildcat history.

Cobbold

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If you’re paying more than $28 a night for lodging in Vermont, you’re paying too damn much….

Fact.

https://onondagaskiclub.org/Lodge-Reservations-Rates#Rates

https://onondagaskiclub.org/The-Lodge

15 miles to sugarbush, 30 miles to killington.

View attachment 52137

View attachment 52138

View attachment 52139
Never really knew much about ski clubs, but after doing some research, they are a hell of deal especially if you use them mid week, in my opinion for what ever that’s worth.

Kingslug20

We belonged to 2 of them for a very short while...they are not hotels and require a bit of an investment..usually in doing chores, cooking etc. If that's cool with you ..and sleeping in bunk beds then it can be a great way to meet people and have a more social thing. Best way to do it is to try them out and see if your a good fit.

Cobbold

We belonged to 2 of them for a very short while...they are not hotels and require a bit of an investment..usually in doing chores, cooking etc. If that's cool with you ..and sleeping in bunk beds then it can be a great way to meet people and have a more social thing. Best way to do it is to try them out and see if your a good fit.
They definitely are not plush, but I am looking for a midweek place to crash, would not be their for the weekend, will try one this winter to see if it works, if not oh well.

eatskisleep

Pretty sure that is not the case since it has been Epic (public corporation). I believe Peak was privately held. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I am not an expert in Wildcat history.
Peak was publicly traded under the ticker SKIS. Before that was when Wildcat was really “good” I miss those days. But I also miss Peak running wildcat versus Vail. Vail has sucked the soul out of skiing, especially at mountains like the Cat.

Last season Wildcat didn’t open until December 11th and closed for the season on April 11th. Even Cranmore opened before the Cat. I don’t really like Attitash but wow, April 4th closing last season!

Last edited:

boston_e

They definitely are not plush, but I am looking for a midweek place to crash, would not be their for the weekend, will try one this winter to see if it works, if not oh well.
Mid week might not be too bad. I’ve never done a ski club but I have been in share houses in the past. I’m definitely at a point in life where multiple beds to a room and some dude I’ve never met before snoring snd cutting farts in the bunk below me would not work for me anymore.

NYSnowflake

If someone wants to night ski with any regularity (even only 2 times a month) the $499 NE Value Pass is a pretty reasonable deal, particularly with all the other skiing options it provides - and for seniors, youth, and students prices range from $345-$399
Even better is the Catamount and Berkshire East night skiing pass for $169. You can ski Wednesday Thursday Friday and Saturday after 4 PM.

NYSnowflake

SWC lodge is a pretty cool place, especially if you get a private room and go when it’s empty. We pretty much had the place to ourselves one Christmas when we spent 5 days at Stowe. The room with the fireplace and bar is fantastic, and the kitchen is clean and functional.

Cobbold

SWC lodge is a pretty cool place, especially if you get a private room and go when it’s empty. We pretty much had the place to ourselves one Christmas when we spent 5 days at Stowe. The room with the fireplace and bar is fantastic, and the kitchen is clean and functional.
Looking forward to going to swc midweek for my one day a week Stowe visit, are you still a member?