• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Desperate for ski pants alterations!

swampwiz

OK, I got my XL size, short legs Obermeyer pants (the L size was just too tight for my 37" gut!), but the legs are still too long! :angry: :angry: As I am currently in a very subtropical location, I may have difficulty getting someone to shorten the legs - or at least be confident that the legs can be shortened while keeping the integrity of the waterproof and insulation. The pants are just a simple knit on the inner & outer sides, with the insulating material inside. They are not like the super expensive pants, and are, in my mind, very similar to an insulated windbreaker.

So, if as I suspect, I can't get anyone locally, I will have no option but to ship them to someone and say "take 3" off each leg", spending a lot on round trip shipping. I have located a few places in Denver (a former place I lived) that claim to be able to do this - even one that claims to be an "authorized repair shop" for a different brand of ski clothes, but haven't located such a shop for Obermeyer. I figure that if I'm going to ship it, I may as well ship it to a shop authorized by Obermayer. I suppose I should call the place I bought it from (also far away) and ask them, but I have a hunch they just worry about moving the merchandise.

I will try calling on Monday, but of course, as that is the last day to sign up for Obamacare to be covered Jan 1, I may need all the day to fight that bureaucracy. :angry: :angry: :angry:

gostan

If you were near a populated area with shops, a good tailor could modify/retrofit the pants. I has a similar issue with my large Mammut pants that were too long for me, several years ago and my tailor had no issues shortening them and keeping the full integrity of the gore tex and pants. Good luck,

KD7000

a good tailor could modify/retrofit the pants.
Yup. Interestingly, I'm in the exact same situation with my Obermeyer pants! Would like to take about 2" off the bottom. My local dry cleaner is also a tailor; I was just going to take the pants there. They did a zipper repair on one of my kid's jackets and it came out nice, so I'm certain they could hem pants...

My pants do have snaps and zippers at the bottom cuff, but I don't need/utilize those at all, so even if they had to just chop all that crap off and hem them plain, the pants will still be fine for me.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you were near a populated area with shops, a good tailor could modify/retrofit the pants. I has a similar issue with my large Mammut pants that were too long for me, several years ago and my tailor had no issues shortening them and keeping the full integrity of the gore tex and pants. Good luck,

Same. Mr. Carls in Portsmouth, NH did a fine job on my last pair of pants.

http://www.mrcarls.com/

drjeff

Not sure where you live, but if you're anywhere near central Connecticut, check out Best Cleaners (www.bestcleaners.com) - the owners, the McCann's (he's a tele guy and she's a alpine skier), are Mount Snow regulars like myself (their son and my son ski together all the time) and they've done a bunch of GREAT work on ski gear for many a Mount Snow regular from tailoring services to repairing gore-tex sleeves that were shredding by a puppy. The work they do in the mending at tailoring work, even for high tech ski garment fabrics is 1st rate!

swampwiz

OK, I went to my regular alterer (because I'm short, I need to take up all my pants :angry: ), and we came up an easy fix - just do a regular hem on the main part, and do a separate hem on the inner part (i.e., that has elastic) such that the length is taken off at the attachment to the main part - resulting in pants that will have a few inches less of that inner part. I don't see how that will have much of an effect as there will still be enough slack to wrap around the leg or boot; perhaps putting on and taking off the boots will be fraught with a little more care. And since it is at the bottom, there will be no issue with the water resistance.

mlctvt

Not sure where you live, but if you're anywhere near central Connecticut, check out Best Cleaners (www.bestcleaners.com) - the owners, the McCann's (he's a tele guy and she's a alpine skier), are Mount Snow regulars like myself (their son and my son ski together all the time) and they've done a bunch of GREAT work on ski gear for many a Mount Snow regular from tailoring services to repairing gore-tex sleeves that were shredding by a puppy. The work they do in the mending at tailoring work, even for high tech ski garment fabrics is 1st rate!

+1 on Best Cleaners. They've done excellent work on my stuff too including my fathers difficult to sew antique Korean war leather bomber jackets. I ride bikes with Shaun McCann and his wife Jen, they're great people too.