• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Early April, May in the Whites

Bergamo

Tell me about mid to late April and May conditions in the Whites. Also, how bad are the bugs at that time? Thank you.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tell me about mid to late April and May conditions in the Whites. Also, how bad are the bugs at that time? Thank you.

Um, lots of snow and mud. The AMC and WMNF do not advise people to start hiking until Memorial Day Weekend. Some years the snow melts earlier and things dry out, but overall, you're looking at hiking Memorial Day on.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Totally depends on where abouts in the whites you are hiking. I have done the Welch-Dickey Loop completely 100% snow free and dry in mid-April. For example:
http://www.thesnowway.com/hiking/2004/wd04.htm

Here is exactly one year earlier on the same day, same loop with minor amounts of snow left on the northern aspect of the mountains but generally mud free:
http://www.thesnowway.com/hiking/2003/wd2003.htm

So for the southern and lower elevation sections of the White Mountains, especially trails with a Southern exposure, you may find anything from completely dry to muddy or snow in April depending upon a variety of factors but generally progressing towards snow free towards the end of April. The same day I did the second of the above WD Loops, I also went up the valley a ways and hiked up Waterville cascade which was similar elevation but north facing and found occasion deep snow and had a hard time bare booting in some spots. These are reports from the Waterville area which is the southern end of the Whites. If you are looking for dry and snow free hiking in April, you may also wish to consider Monadnock and Morgan Percival even though they are not part of the Whites main chain.

Most of the Whites and especially the higher peaks and high elevations will have snowy and/or muddy trails, especially northern facing aspects and higher elevations. No reason not to hike but be wary of impact if trails are muddy. No way to tell for sure how conditions will play out, it all depends upon weather, aspect, impact, etc. But southern facing, lower elevation, and more southerly mountains will have the least snow/mud at that time. Generally bug free at that time of year, early Spring is a great time to hike conditions permitting.

Mike P.

What they said, no bugs likely a good deal of snow especially on higher peaks. A couple of years ago I did Morgan & Perceival with just a tiny amount of ice & then the next day did the Kinsman's which were covered in snow from below Lonesome Lake.

Mid-to Late April in most years CT may be rid of 90% of the snow, last year I did part of the Devil's Path with just some ice in the sheltered cloves. (Catskillise for Notch or Col)

Skier75

I wouldn't mind getting in afew as well, before Memorial Day. Years past we've gone on Memorial Day and regretted it, only because of the massive black flies. I hate bug season! They just chew me up so bad.

Mike P.

Avoid if possible places with running water where Black Flies Breed, Mosquitos like calm water.

Greg

Staff member
It all depends. I've hiked up the Dry River Wilderness on Memorial Day weekend and found myself postholing all over at above about 4,000'. This was the scene above Oake's Gulf in 1994 (circles around a skier and snowboarder):

skiers.jpg