• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Early season 20-21

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Sugarloaf could pick up a solid 6" (or more) this Saturday up top. NOAA calling for snow at Killington Peak too which I think is a little crazy but a couple inches isn't out of the range of possibilities.

Arapahoe Basin getting it done too in regard to snowmaking. I think Loveland is quiet, not sure about Keystone.

slatham

Models looking better for weekend elevation snow especially as you move NE from SoVt to Maine. If the Euro is correct 'Loaf could get a skiable amount. Same for Whites and maybe parts of VT.

First "winter" test of the models.

thebigo

First one of these we have seen in a while. Sucks that the wildcat webcam is not functioning. Hope it is a temporary thing and not vail policy.

Attachments

• SnowAmt90Prcntl.jpg
    SnowAmt90Prcntl.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 200

slatham

Snow!!! Its fitting that on the day of the first women's World Cup, Superstar gets its first coating of snow. Going to miss that race this year.

Looks like folks in the Whites and Maine might be able to make turns.....

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Arapahoe Basin says early November, claiming they don't have enough water at the moment to make as much snow as they'd like.
Loveland says "later this month or early next month" well there's 3 days left in October so figure that one out lol.
Big Sky has been having record cold with guns blasting for a week and already has a foot+ of snow on the ground.

Killington would likely be able to open Sunday with a solid 48 hours of snowmaking starting Friday AM. Damn shame as we know that ain't happening. Sunday River seems to be chomping at the bit...wonder if they push for a midweek opening so they can ease into ops in the covid-era.

NOAA is predicting 6"+ for Mount Snow. They'll be pushing hard with snowmaking of their own given they're scheduled to open the 14th. Could be a real nice opening day for them. Maybe Vail will let them open early...about as likely as Killington ever making snow on Devil's Fiddle again!!!

Vortex

Guns are on again at the River. Guns on Down below mid station on Sunday Punch. I predicted Nov2 soft opening and the 3rd formal opening as an election day thing. I plan to be there. The lift concerns are more of a issue in my opinion. Mid Week Locke would work. Not sure about a weekend.

ScottySkis

Arapahoe Basin says early November, claiming they don't have enough water at the moment to make as much snow as they'd like.
Loveland says "later this month or early next month" well there's 3 days left in October so figure that one out lol.
Big Sky has been having record cold with guns blasting for a week and already has a foot+ of snow on the ground.

Killington would likely be able to open Sunday with a solid 48 hours of snowmaking starting Friday AM. Damn shame as we know that ain't happening. Sunday River seems to be chomping at the bit...wonder if they push for a midweek opening so they can ease into ops in the covid-era.

NOAA is predicting 6"+ for Mount Snow. They'll be pushing hard with snowmaking of their own given they're scheduled to open the 14th. Could be a real nice opening day for them. Maybe Vail will let them open early...about as likely as Killington ever making snow on Devil's Fiddle again!!!

K said that this year because of pandemic and they will not planning on opening to late noevember
With serval trails and top to bottom to keep people spaced out

slatham

Two good cold snaps - early Friday AM to Saturday afternoon, then again early Monday am to sunrise Wednesday. The second is much colder than the first. BUT, without a change in the forecast thats it for the next week, until around Thursday 11/12. So any area pressing for 11/14 better get on these 2 cold waves.

machski

Guns are on again at the River. Guns on Down below mid station on Sunday Punch. I predicted Nov2 soft opening and the 3rd formal opening as an election day thing. I plan to be there. The lift concerns are more of a issue in my opinion. Mid Week Locke would work. Not sure about a weekend.
What Vortex said. Barker unforunately had a late discover "issue" and is not ready to go as of now. They are not wasting any time or sparing any expense at SR with snowmaking however. All of upper Locke and Barker is currently getting hit as well as at least Kansas from Jordan across Oz and likely into Aurora as well. Will try to get a status update on Barker later today from my man on the ground.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Barker repairs going fast, new haul rope is on and spliced, chairs getting hung today. Could be ready by the weekend at this rate.View attachment 27113

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

The only possible hold up to that time frame of the weekend, is is there in inspector from the Maine Board of Elevator and Tramway Safety available before the weekend to certify that the lift, post haul rope replacement and load testing, is ready to go. And who knows if the COVID situation has any any effects on their availability??

Vortex

I think they will need more snow at the base too. :wink: I will be ready on Friday for anything. If Barker is running, Early next week seems logical. If they can open this weekend they will.