• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Early season 20-21

Newpylong

Sunday River could be TTB today off about a dozen runs from Locke and Barker today, but no. SNowmaking is rapidly building a good base that based on what I have seen even down to Barker base, should survive the heat mostly intact without anyone on it. Also hearing Boyne's randsomware attack they suffered has them completely crippled. Reports from Sugarloaf this weekend were the ski shop could not process any transactions, they were doing everything old school manual with credit cards (remember the swipper and carbon copy charge slips?? Yup) to process later once their systems come back up. Thus I think the major reason why SR decided not to open this past weekend (with the coming heat stretch and possibly state pressure as two other added reasons).

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Far less than a dozen, likely 1 T2B each off Barker and Locke. It's a lot thinner than it looks on most trails but tough to tell. They did make quite a bit overall. They lost 3 booster pumps in the process too.

Upper Management has been mum but yes it's believed the IT issue played a big role on not opening.

Last edited:

machski

Far less than a dozen, likely 1 T2B each off Barker and Locke. It's a lot thinner than it looks on most trails but tough to tell. They did make quite a bit overall. They lost 3 booster pumps in the process too.

Upper Management has been mum but yes it's believed the IT issue played a big role on not opening.
I was including the multiple upper mtn routes that funnel into 1 or 2 midmountain and lower runs. Lovely, more blown pumps.

Newpylong

I was including the multiple upper mtn routes that funnel into 1 or 2 midmountain and lower runs. Lovely, more blown pumps.

Yep, at least 2 are just the starters, the third is the motor itself. All of the starters are original from the early 90s. Lack of a capital maintenance plan until current management change. They sent the motor off and trying to acquire soft starts to replace the 3 fried starters. They're at 6200 GPM until they're back to 11 boosters.

T2, Upper and Lower Punch, Ecstasy were good to go. Possibly Right Stuff after pushing That would have been a nice opening combo. Hope some sticks around for you guys.

slatham

Dickc

Is there a page based link that I can use to go directly to sending a PM? Some boards have it, some don’t.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Is there a page based link that I can use to go directly to sending a PM? Some boards have it, some don’t.
pretty sure you click the name and start conversation. in Xenforo, PMs are called Conversations

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201110-130515_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201110-130515_Chrome.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 1

spiderpig

They saved a ton of money by not trying for the traditional October opening. And it is highly questionable they could have hit World Cup "snow control" test late next week.
They would have been able to open, but of course they saved money, as it would be mostly passholders. Definitely seems like the World Cup would have been a hard time.

machski

They would have been able to open, but of course they saved money, as it would be mostly passholders. Definitely seems like the World Cup would have been a hard time.
They did not try for October to "save money." They did it because the normal early operations on North Ridge and the stairs were not compliant with Social Distancing and Vermont restrictions. They need TTB, multiple lifts to socially distance the early crowds this season and they have not had the weather to come even close to that.

slatham

Stratton just sent an email indicating November 25th opening in jeopardy. In it they mention "expanded" terrain, options for all abilities, and Sun Bowl open for slope side parking. Hence the day 1 plan looks to have significantly more terrain than normal and is thus impacting when day 1 will be. In prior years they have opened with as little as a trail or two off of Ursa and one or two on lower mountain.

Zermatt

Stratton just sent an email indicating November 25th opening in jeopardy. In it they mention "expanded" terrain, options for all abilities, and Sun Bowl open for slope side parking. Hence the day 1 plan looks to have significantly more terrain than normal and is thus impacting when day 1 will be. In prior years they have opened with as little as a trail or two off of Ursa and one or two on lower mountain.
It's funny you think this is going to happen.

spiderpig

They did not try for October to "save money." They did it because the normal early operations on North Ridge and the stairs were not compliant with Social Distancing and Vermont restrictions. They need TTB, multiple lifts to socially distance the early crowds this season and they have not had the weather to come even close to that.
we know