• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Early season 20-21

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It's funny you think this is going to happen.

They are skiing in Breckenridge, Arapahoe, Mammoth, Loveland, Keystone, Wolf Creek, and maybe a few molehills in the midwest I had heard about opening in October. If not for the 70 degree weather they'd be skiing at Killington and Mount Snow tomorrow.

And by the way, 99% of ski resorts in the US plan to open this winter.

You're welcome to hunker down and stay at home for the next 12 months but I'm afraid people will be skiing this winter.

slatham

Killington getting lucky that it is just cold enough up high to blow snow. Warmer air moving in so interested to see how long they can go tomorrow am. They should have another shot up high Monday night before full-on cold comes Tuesday afternoon through to Thursday am allowing them to concentrate on lower elevations. They will be able too open Thur or Friday IMHO.

Zermatt

They are skiing in Breckenridge, Arapahoe, Mammoth, Loveland, Keystone, Wolf Creek, and maybe a few molehills in the midwest I had heard about opening in October. If not for the 70 degree weather they'd be skiing at Killington and Mount Snow tomorrow.

And by the way, 99% of ski resorts in the US plan to open this winter.

You're welcome to hunker down and stay at home for the next 12 months but I'm afraid people will be skiing this winter.
Trust me, I'm the last person hiding in the basement.

None of the places you mention are Vermont. None of those states have inbound travel restrictions that block their main customers from skiing.

Your comparison and assessment of me are total crap.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Trust me, I'm the last person hiding in the basement.

None of the places you mention are Vermont. None of those states have inbound travel restrictions that block their main customers from skiing.

Your comparison and assessment of me are total crap.

Fair enough. I can wait five days for Killington to open. Then we'll talk lol.

kingslug

And if this all doesn't happen I'm looking into climb to ski areas..screw it..go old school. I'm all set up for it..my wife..not so much.

drjeff

The River shooting for Monday.

K wants tomorrow PM but that may not happen.

Who will be first?

No factual basis in this whatsoever, just all a combo of gut instinct, looking at the weather, the COVID situation and the hysteria that is ramping up around it right now, and how the optics would look if only 1 place, especially 1 place on a mega pass, opens 1st with no other places open.

Let's be honest, regardless of how well they publicize the plans, there will be people, without whatever type of reservations are needed for that day, showing up, and trying to ski/ride, and then making a scene when they are denied access to the mountain. I doubt ski areas want that as it will draw further attention to them, and may even bring out the "Covid Cops" from the respective department of public health's in that area.

Many will say that they're trying for this weekend, or early next week, or even just before Thanksgiving.

I wouldn't be surprised at all, if early next week, we hear a collective "out of an abundance of caution, the weather situation, and rising COVID cases...." that you see much of the industry pass on an opening until the 1st weekend of December, when the chances of more places opening simultaneously, if greater, and maybe the current spike in cases is starting to lessen a bit.

I sincerely hope that won't be the case, I also wouldn't be surprised if that is what happens....

Last edited:

drjeff

Got an email Stowe is opening Friday 11/20
Kind of weird as they put out a press release, that was picked up by SKI VT yesterday, saying that they were pushing opening day back to Wednesday the 25th....

And as of a few seconds ago when I just checked their social media feeds, it's still saying Wednesday the 25th as their target, weather permitting, open date

machski

Sunday River has more than enough snow to open tomorrow, but the randsomwear attack is still leaving problems. I along with many others still have no pass in hand and last anyone heard they still cannot print any more. They told passholders they would email us plans for opening day of we didn't receive our passes but it's been radio silence and no word how they will work this. All I know is a regular year, we would have been skiing some already even with the trying weather and tomorrow would be a no brainer.