• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

East Coast One Ski Quiver Help

Cheese

Hart, Volkl, Dynastar, IDone, K2 mogul skis all use wood cores because they are stiffer and more durable than foam. About the only adult mogul ski I can think of from the last 10 years that used foam was the Rossignol Mogul Exhibition. The non Lab 1080s were foam but that is going back really far.

Very true and thanks for correcting this for the OP.

yeggous

What is this 110 Rossi of which you speak? I'm on the lookout for a cheap, nimble, surfy fat ski, but have no idea what might have fit that bill in years past...

Cheap, nimble, surfy, fat...

Honestly one ski comes to mind... Salomon BBR.

I demoed them for a day at Heavenly. I will admit they were fun.

Proctor Jones in Nashua has them on clearance for cheap.

Cheese

I do understand your point. However, this is the East. In one run I am likely to encounter a steep, icy headwall, gnarly bumps, maybe duck into the trees for some pow, then long GS turns on the groomed runout back to the chair. You cannot change skis mid run. I want the ski that comes closest to doing it all.

I think your statement above is absolutely what an "All Mountain" ski is designed to do. As others have stated, something which will handle 80% of what you'll run into on any given day.

On the other hand, I'd argue that the true weapon of choice would be for that remaining 20%. A ski designed more for the hardest terrain one will encounter during any given day. Something designed specifically to handle that icy head wall and gnarly bumps. It would then be up to the skier to sort of fake the remaining 80% of easier conditions of the day on what could be considered the wrong tool for the job.

Last edited:

57stevey

Cheap, nimble, surfy, fat...

Honestly one ski comes to mind... Salomon BBR.

I demoed them for a day at Heavenly. I will admit they were fun.

Proctor Jones in Nashua has them on clearance for cheap.

Hmmm, thanks. I should have probably said "super cheap" (aka used or NOS) but, I will be at a demo day hopefully on Weds, I will see if I can find some to take for a spin.

D-2.5-GT

Already been recommended. ..but Prophet 90s.

I just bought last years model af a discount and they are great....just what I was looking for.

gmcunni

i'm going to shoot for a ~98 mm 1 ski quiver, probably the bonafide or Line prophet 98. BUT i'll keep my 84mm nordicas around just in case

WWF-VT

Just ski on one foot in the morning, eat health breakfast. Every day egg , then kiss your kids and family. Go to work if you can. Try the West. Enjoy life. Ski ,snowboarding. Say hi to Roxbury hills more sick terrain to come.

This is the best advice so far in this thread

gmcunni

Go with the Lines. You won't regret it!
i skied the blends last winter and liked them but when i did the side by side spec comparison on lines' web site i noticed the blends were mounted a bit forward. i think i'd prefer the more traditional mount point on the prophet.

Morwax

Fat skis are over rated for NE skiing. Im back to Atomic sl11m consumer slalom race skis and use them everywhere. The fats stay on the rack unless it dumps.

yeggous

Fat skis are over rated for NE skiing. Im back to Atomic sl11m consumer slalom race skis and use them everywhere. The fats stay on the rack unless it dumps.

Define fat? I see no need to something 120 underfoot with full rocker, but I am a huge fan of 88 underfoot with rocker tip and tail. Midfats are very fun and useful in soft snow. I usually ski my carvers from the start of the season until the snow guns turn off in January. From that point to the end of the season it is all my midfats as natural snow and spring conditions soften up surfaces. The big guns only come out on sick days. :)

Morwax

Define fat? I see no need to something 120 underfoot with full rocker, but I am a huge fan of 88 underfoot with rocker tip and tail. Midfats are very fun and useful in soft snow. I usually ski my carvers from the start of the season until the snow guns turn off in January. From that point to the end of the season it is all my midfats as natural snow and spring conditions soften up surfaces. The big guns only come out on sick days. :)
I do the same and go to an 88 when the snow is falling mid season. Back on the frontside skis now and see no need for all that surface tension. I think the fat skis are more of a status symbol like somehow your going to be skiing blower down the backside when there is nothing in the woods. They look more like clown shoes to me all the time. lol

4aprice

Volkl RTM 84s would be a nice choice too.

This is the best ski that I have demo'ed. Think I'd go with the 176 though I skied the 181. Closest to my Atomic Metron 9's which I love but they no longer make. Now If I could only find a pair. One of my sons coaches is a rep and he told me they fly off the racks.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ