• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

EZ-Pass

Philpug

Who uses it, who doesn't. If not, why not. It is soooo nice for those long distance trips.

Hawkshot99

I have had it since I got my license. Took my first trip this past summer to Virginia, towing my boat and boy did it suck having to stop and pay all of the tolls.

I love EZ-Pass

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
i have been saying for ever that i was going to get one i really don't like that someone has the ability to so what my travel habits are. so i have not got one. i only really need it for trafic at the tunnels going into the city but most days i just listen to 1010 and see which of the two is the best.

gmcunni

luv the ezpass. just did round trip to NC last week, smiling as we passed all the cars stuck in the cash lanes.. very happy to learn that they started taking ezpass on the chesapeake bay bridge/tunnel too :)

also use it for parking @ JFK airport

ERJ-145CA

On the Garden State Parkway from the Raritan tolls southward they have a reader over the Parkway so if you have EZ-Pass you stay over in the left three lanes and drive through at highway speed. No toll booths just keep on driving.

If you get EZ-Pass in NJ you have to pay a $1.00 a month fee which kind of sucks but it's so convenient. The fee was created to replace the original funding scheme which was to charge toll cheats who drive through the EZ-Pass lanes a $25.00 administrative fee which they discovered later the toll cheats don't pay anyway.

i have been saying for ever that i was going to get one i really don't like that someone has the ability to so what my travel habits are.

Of course if you are falsely accused of a crime it could be your alibi.:-D

playoutside

Love it and love waving at the suckers waiting in line to pay tolls. ;-) I've used it from ME to VA and it has worked without a hitch. I've been making the drive between MA and NJ for 20 years and could never make it door to door any faster than 4 hours. When I got easy pass it dropped to 3.75 hrs. Never realized how much time I wasted getting off the pike and crossing the Hudson.

Couple of odd things:
  • Most NY state tolls require you to slow to 5MPH, you should, I got a letter several years ago for going through at about 15. Seems the sensor couldn't keep up with me. Took a while to convince them they had already collected their toll and that I didn't owe them the extorionist fine they wanted. A real PITA!
  • NJ Turnpike (southern end) has tollbooths (diff than the Parkway which just has sensors above the roadway) that you are expected to maintain your speed through the tollhouse. Scary as hell trusting that the car in front will maintain it's speed and that if it doesn't the car behind you is prepared to hit the brakes as quickly as you do. I was sure I was going to end up crunched.
  • MA pike is mostly posted at 15MPH, but majority are going through faster. I've definitely had no probs going 30-35. Occasionally they'll put the troopers out to ticket the speeders!
I use it everyday and cannot imagine driving without it!

playoutside

i have been saying for ever that i was going to get one i really don't like that someone has the ability to so what my travel habits are..

I hope you realize you are probably already carrying items that will track you and your driving habits...credit/debit cards, cell phones, blackberry, GPS, etc. Reality is that most of our movements are easily tracked and reported on in this day and age. I know the ezpass records have been used in divorce cases.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
Of course if you are falsely accused of a crime it could be your alibi.:-D

are you saying i am a criminal or something.:spin:

I hope you realize you are probably already carrying items that will track you and your driving habits...credit/debit cards, cell phones, blackberry, GPS, etc. Reality is that most of our movements are easily tracked and reported on in this day and age. I know the ezpass records have been used in divorce cases.

i use cash on the highways but i guess i could be track through what cell towers i was near. its silly but i just don't like EZ pass

Rushski

Love it, primarily for NH. Occasionally for Maine and the Mass Pikes...

Good at about 30-35 Mph as someone else said...

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have one for work use, but not personal use. Work I put over 50K highway miles per year on my car, so highly necessary.

Who uses it, who doesn't. If not, why not. It is soooo nice for those long distance trips.

I have the Blue EZPass for commercial vehicles..it is definitely nice since my work pays for it. coming back I-95 north from Lake Anna Virginia there's like $15 in tolls. I have had a few times where the transponder didn't work which led to a letter in the mail and a fine but I was able to fight it..It's tough to imagine the days when I would fish for change in my cupholder

drjeff

I LOVE the fastlane pass that my wife and I have in our cars. The amount of time it's saved us either heading into Boston, or more regularly either heading to or from VT at the I-84/Mass Pike interchange makes it priceless in my book.

o3jeff

For the people saying "I don"t want people to be able to track were I am going" who do you think really cares what toll roads you're taking at at what time other than Ezpass so they can collect money from you? Am I missing something?

Phillycore

I have had ezpass now for probably 10 years now.

The thing that sucks is $1.00 month charge (NJ pass)
No discount - Some people get some sort of discount, however I use mine for daily commuting on the DRPA (Philly) bridge system where the only time you get a discount is when you use the same transponder (not account) 20 times in a month, then you get a $18.00 credit to your account.
The thing is that in most months there are 4 work weeks times 5 days (for me) equates to 20 trips per month. Unless there is a holiday that month where my work is closed, or I have a day off from work for skiing, vacation, sick, etc.. which all takes away from those trips. Other than work reasons I have no reason in hell to travel to South Jersey so no extra crossings there. Basically I get the $18.00 back about twice a year. Not to mention that they are raising the bridge tolls to $4 this month and $5 next year.

The ease of use and not needing to carry cash on me makes it worth it, not to mention the $36 savings over a year I do actually get..

Vortex

I have had it since I got my license. Took my first trip this past summer to Virginia, towing my boat and boy did it suck having to stop and pay all of the tolls.

I love EZ-Pass

I use my ez pass with my camper. It registers when I pull my pop up. double charges or something like that. Worth of asking the attendant I did. I think it measures axles.

Biggest problem with EZ pass is the morons who are in the ez- pass lane and then bailout cause they realize its and ez pass lane. Slowing down multiple lanes of traffic. Not like this is brand new technology. Every weekend at the hooksett tolls either way there are plenty of confused people who screw up traffic.

Philpug

The thing that sucks is $1.00 month charge (NJ pass)
No discount - Some people get some sort of discount, however I use mine for daily commuting on the DRPA (Philly) bridge system where the only time you get a discount is when you use the same transponder (not account) 20 times in a month, then you get a $18.00 credit to your account.

Quite frankly, I would pay extra to use, just for what it saves me in hassle. But...NJ charges 1.00/mo. Does PA charge that too? I have a NJ pass, why, I forget but I do. If Pa doesn't charge the 1.00, I will switch. Some states such as Delaware were charging EZ pass users less to use tolls than non, to get people to switch.