• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

EZ-Pass

Vortex

I think the discout applies to the state in which you have the pass. I get a NH discount, but only there. I have seen talk of that advantage being removed in Mass to help pay for the big dig.

ctenidae

Biggest problem with EZ pass is the morons who are in the ez- pass lane and then bailout cause they realize its and ez pass lane. Slowing down multiple lanes of traffic. Not like this is brand new technology. Every weekend at the hooksett tolls either way there are plenty of confused people who screw up traffic.

I'd like to spend an hour talking with those people. With a 'splainer.

mfg-cx.jpg

WJenness

I use my ez pass with my camper. It registers when I pull my pop up. double charges or something like that. Worth of asking the attendant I did. I think it measures axles.

Biggest problem with EZ pass is the morons who are in the ez- pass lane and then bailout cause they realize its and ez pass lane. Slowing down multiple lanes of traffic. Not like this is brand new technology. Every weekend at the hooksett tolls either way there are plenty of confused people who screw up traffic.

One of my issues with the NH tolls is where they put the EZ Pass lanes (both on 93 and 95). They should be on the far left. Putting them in the middle (the old exact change lanes I believe) causes people to end up in the wrong spot and have to merge in and out of traffic to get to the proper lane. Sadly, the guy plodding along in the middle lane on his cell phone who has to dig out cash to pay the toll doesn't usually notice the sign a mile out (and the one a half mile out) that tells him he should change lanes.

The reasoning for not putting the EZ Pass lanes on the far left is probably that they use the middle booths to take traffic from either direction when there is a demand for it, but if the six booths in the center of the plaza were fixed EZ Pass with the ability to read cars traveling in either direction, and then the next two or three in each direction were 'flexible' booths that could be configured for EZ Pass only, or EZ Pass & Cash, there would be a lot less confusion and traffic congestion (IMHO). As a side benefit, the innermost booths could be configured for a higher EZ Pass speed limit (say 25 instead of 15), as there shouldn't be any traffic you have to merge with on the other side that isn't EZ Pass traffic.

Most states do it this way. I do not understand why NH does not.

I heart my EZ Pass.

I got it about 8 years or so ago when I had to drive to Rochester, NY and I had no idea what the tolls were going to be like. It was so nice to not have to worry about having the right change / digging it out / waiting in line (particularly when driving through NYC) and I'm really glad that I picked one up.

-w

Dr Skimeister

I don't like the "Big Brother" aspect of EZPass.

Toll-booth workers are a potential source of entertainment on any trip. Just check out their personalized germ barriers sometime. Anything from latex gloves to surgical masks that look like they've been used for 7 straight months.

ccskier

Won't travel w/ out it. It is key on Friday nights and Sunday afternoons during the season.

Vortex

One of my issues with the NH tolls is where they put the EZ Pass lanes (both on 93 and 95). They should be on the far left. Putting them in the middle (the old exact change lanes I believe) causes people to end up in the wrong spot and have to merge in and out of traffic to get to the proper lane. Sadly, the guy plodding along in the middle lane on his cell phone who has to dig out cash to pay the toll doesn't usually notice the sign a mile out (and the one a half mile out) that tells him he should change lanes.

The reasoning for not putting the EZ Pass lanes on the far left is probably that they use the middle booths to take traffic from either direction when there is a demand for it, but if the six booths in the center of the plaza were fixed EZ Pass with the ability to read cars traveling in either direction, and then the next two or three in each direction were 'flexible' booths that could be configured for EZ Pass only, or EZ Pass & Cash, there would be a lot less confusion and traffic congestion (IMHO). As a side benefit, the innermost booths could be configured for a higher EZ Pass speed limit (say 25 instead of 15), as there shouldn't be any traffic you have to merge with on the other side that isn't EZ Pass traffic.

Most states do it this way. I do not understand why NH does not.

I heart my EZ Pass.

I got it about 8 years or so ago when I had to drive to Rochester, NY and I had no idea what the tolls were going to be like. It was so nice to not have to worry about having the right change / digging it out / waiting in line (particularly when driving through NYC) and I'm really glad that I picked one up.

-w

Some very good points. Aw hang up the phone near the toll botth,:smash: You might cause traffic to slow down cause you will be distracted in the wrong lane.:uzi:

Back to your good points. not sure I have a solution on lane positioning, but it should be easier to figure out. Reasoning I got for the center position was.. left lanes need to be interchangeable due to traffic. You were right on. I know a state senator who is an engineer/spec writer who discussed this with me. He was right I was wrong.:???:

They wanted the way right to be for slower traffic. Kind of makes sense. Center lane allows access for all lanes to get to easy pass. If you are in a car... you can't see the purple easy pass sign as you come up the hill on 93 North, especailly if there is and Suv or truck in front of you. There are signs on the way up the hill, but not all see them. Not to mention in ski season Friday ride up are often in the Dark. Still some responsibility goes to the drivers. Seems some may be week in the Gene pool. Also can be funny I alway see one spouse. Pointing and yelling. We seem to have somethings in
common.:spin:

93 south I don't get its pretty obvious, easier view and wider open and flat, but still same issue. Can't blame the state for that.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think Mass has the worst EZ pass system. I like how in NH and ME it is accepted in all lanes.

Beetlenut

I'll be getting it soon! The Newport bridge, which I go over twice a day, is finally moving to the EZ-Pass system. Welcome to the 21st century!! Also the cost of the toll will drop from $2 dollars to 85 cents! Still sucks to have to pay a toll for the privilege of going to work though!

Greg

Staff member
In CT we don't have no stinkin' tolls. I still have an EZ Pass though, mostly for the Mass Pike, sometimes up in NH and for traveling through NY.

When I lived in Montana there were no tolls..actually no tolls from Chicago to Bozeman..no tolls in VT either..

Vortex

I work in mass so I pay Mass tax and Tolls where ever I go. Nh does have a very low tax burden though. Ct semed exspensive to live in to me. I had a chance to re-located there. I chose not to.

hammer

I work in mass so I pay Mass tax and Tolls where ever I go. Nh does have a very low tax burden though. Ct semed exspensive to live in to me. I had a chance to re-located there. I chose not to.
Working in MA and living in NH...get to pay both the high income taxes and the high property taxes, I'd guess...

I purchased a few of the NH EZ pass transponders a few years back, only $5 each. Transponders still work and I get toll breaks going through NH. Would like to see the official speed limit through the NH tolls increased, though...I go through at 20-25 MPH and I don't have any problems.

Vortex

Working in MA and living in NH...get to pay both the high income taxes and the high property taxes, I'd guess...

I purchased a few of the NH EZ pass transponders a few years back, only $5 each. Transponders still work and I get toll breaks going through NH. Would like to see the official speed limit through the NH tolls increased, though...I go through at 20-25 MPH and I don't have any problems.

Ya I showed them tax and tax.:smash: I think I got them free of paid $5. something like that.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Some very good points.

I was an early adopter. There were many inconsistencies and various adoption rates by states which made it confusing.

Regarding specified lanes, I can appreciate the need to have the lanes positioned variously. What bothers me is that most states don't bother to tell you in advance which lanes are the EZ/Fast lanes. I'd like to be positioned in the correct lane, it would help everyone tremendously. Nothing like a fellow who has to cross five lanes because he discovers he's in the wrong place at the last minute. I can't blame those drivers for lack of signage.