• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

EZ-Pass

powderman

Whenever I'm stopped at a toll, I keep on telling myself to get an EZ-Pass but I've never done so. I don't travel much outside of Connecticut. When I do travel outside of the state, I usually go to NY or MA, and I travel on I-90 even less. I do cross some of the Hudson River bridges sometimes though. If I'm going to NYC, I almost always take Metro North. So there isn't an immediate need for an EZ-Pass for me, though I'll likely get one in the future.

BeanoNYC

For those who have EzPass. What's your refill amount? Mine is $60. My neighbor across the street? ...$200 clams a refill!

Phillycore

Oh and I guess I should mention that the EZpass lanes on the CBB bridge are 5X longer than the cash lanes since it's 1 lane no matter which way I go and under construction (they change it from 2 lanes Pa-NJ to 2 lanes NJ-Pa sometime during the middle of the day so I always end up with the short end of the bridge. Since there are so many people trying to use the EZpass lanes and merge into the one lane the ezpass lanes get clogged up allowing the cash lanes to just cruise through and merge in. Probably one of the only places I've ever seen where the EZpass lanes didn't save you time...lol

South Jersey sucks so bad.... They'll let you in for free, but you need to pay to get the hell out of there..

Hawkshot99

Oh and I guess I should mention that the EZpass lanes on the CBB bridge are 5X longer than the cash lanes since it's 1 lane no matter which way I go and under construction (they change it from 2 lanes Pa-NJ to 2 lanes NJ-Pa sometime during the middle of the day so I always end up with the short end of the bridge. Since there are so many people trying to use the EZpass lanes and merge into the one lane the ezpass lanes get clogged up allowing the cash lanes to just cruise through and merge in. Probably one of the only places I've ever seen where the EZpass lanes didn't save you time...lol

South Jersey sucks so bad.... They'll let you in for free, but you need to pay to get the hell out of there..

Every toll I have ever been through lets you do any lane with EZ-Pass, you just have to wait in line for the cash lanes.

Phillycore

Guess you haven't been across any of the DRPA bridges.

I tried it once and luckily I had cash on me because I would have looked like an ass had I didn't.

I have used mine in the cash lanes though in a lot of places, turnpike, harbor tunnel, lincoln tunnel, ft mchenry tunnel, etc.. So I do agree MOST places let you use the ezpass in any lane, but for some reason they aren't so bright when it comes to the CBB, Walt Whitman, Ben Franklin, and I'll assume that Betsy Ross bridge is the same as the others run by DRPA

ERJ-145CA

On the Garden State Parkway EZ-Pass in not accepted in the exact change lanes so if you accidentally end up in one of those you either need change or to change lanes really quick.

bvibert

Staff member
I drive through tolls less than once a year on average, so I really don't have the need to have one.

I work in mass so I pay Mass tax and Tolls where ever I go. Nh does have a very low tax burden though. Ct semed exspensive to live in to me. I had a chance to re-located there. I chose not to.

Good choice, IMHO.

dmc

I drive to NYC a lot so I use it constantly... i even use it to pay for parking at the airports..

I put $80 maybe every other month..

dmc

[*]Most NY state tolls require you to slow to 5MPH, you should, I got a letter several years ago for going through at about 15. Seems the sensor couldn't keep up with me. Took a while to convince them they had already collected their toll and that I didn't owe them the extorionist fine they wanted. A real PITA!

I got my first ever letter last week...

SkiDork

have to chime in here...

As a 9/11 survivor, my take is:

1) I have and love an EZ Pass

2) I don't care if big brother knows my whereabouts. It this is what the 21st century compatting stealthy terrorists is all about, so be it. IMHO our 17th century founders never thought of this bullshit and how to deal with it

have to chime in here...

As a 9/11 survivor, my take is:

1) I have and love an EZ Pass

2) I don't care if big brother knows my whereabouts. It this is what the 21st century compatting stealthy terrorists is all about, so be it. IMHO our 17th century founders never thought of this bullshit and how to deal with it

Wow...you were in the Twin Towers...and this is sort of bordering on politics..

Phillycore

He could have worked at the pentagon as well... or maybe he still does.

9/11 was and is a lot bigger than just NYC but a lot of people seem to forget that.

Of course since his location thing says he's from NY, I'll give you the twin towers comment...

He could have worked at the pentagon as well... or maybe he still does.

9/11 was and is a lot bigger than just NYC but a lot of people seem to forget that.

Of course since his location thing says he's from NY, I'll give you the twin towers comment...

For sure..9/11 affected the entire USA..and we're doing a dedication for Chatham NJ 9/11 victims and to stay on topic..I'll be using my EZ-pass when I drive back to PA on I-78..and it is funny..You have to pay to enter PA and it's free to drive into Dirty Jersey..