• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First time buying equipment

rydob89

Hello everyone, just joined the forums, anxiously waiting for the winter.

I have been skiing on cheap rentals for a few years now and am ready to buy my own gear. I am a 25 year old male, 150-160 lbs, 5'9"-5'10". Basically the most average person you could imagine. Most of my skiing is in the woods, but I also like to bomb some groomers every now and then, so I guess I'm looking for a typical intermediate all mountain ski. My budget is pretty low - maybe $300 for a full package. I remember enjoying some Salomon Focus's which I rented a few times this past year. I tend to go for shorter skis for my height/weight as I prefer a smaller radius (155-160cm, ~12m radius).

I'm looking for any suggestions anyone might have. I'm ready to buy some used rentals on eBay but wanted to hear what anyone had to say. I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks!
Only 4-5 more months!

PS: I have some videos on my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-P1jTy7YN_P8hd3kemEV1w/videos

Savemeasammy

Make sure your boots fit properly - IMO that's the most important thing.

I am the same height/weight as you, but I ski on 175's. You should consider a longer ski. Turn radius is more about sdecut than ski length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimk

I was going to suggest these new skis for $269: http://starthaus.com/2014-nordica-burner-ski-blem.html
But after seeing Savemeasammy's post, I agree it may be wise to blow all or most of your $300 on a well fitted pair of boots. Then, assuming you live near some ski shops, look to see if they host any fall "ski swaps". These are like neighborhood yard sales usually for the benefit of a local ski patrol or charity. You can often find decent 3-5 year old skis with bindings for under $100.

timm

I agree 155-160 seems short. Very short to me actually. I am about the same measurements and I also try to stay around 175 for length for the most part. As Savemeasammy said, radius is more about sidecut than length. A shorter length does make turn initiation easier but eventually I think you are going to be let down by skis that short for your size especially if you are skiing fast.

Fischer Watea (84 or 88) or Blizzard Magnum (85) might be good for your purposes. A ski that is good for off piste and groomers is going to be compromised in one or both areas by its nature.

This is all assuming you have a good pair of boots, but as others said if you don't definitely do that first.

Last edited:

Skimaine

Agree with the early post. Spend this years $'s on a well fitted boot. This means pay some extra $'s for a good boot fitter.

I would toss in the Blizzard Bramha's as a good fit. They are a bit quicker than the Magnums but not as stable and damp at speed.

Also consider upping you budget. Eat bread and water for a few months and get some quality equipment. It makes a huge difference.

HowieT2

get boots that are properly fitted. then deal with the skis when finances permit. check out the Line Prophet flight.

Hawkshot99

I love how the guy says he has a $300 budget, and he is told to go out and buy custom fitted boots, and $700 flat skis.....

dlague

I think $300 will be tight if you are considering skis, bindings, boots, and poles. I just did a few searches and found a Pair of K2 Press Twin Tip Freesyle Skis 169cm - they have decent waist @ 85mm rockered both ends and cambered in the middle. it is Int-Adv and the price is right at $149

Sports Authority K2 Press

As far as boots are concerned, visit a local shop and get fitted with a used pair to save $'s. Used boots will already be packed out and will give you a point of reference. However, since you have rented you might have an idea of your size. But here is an example of a decent priced boot in the middle flex range - $140-180

lange-blaster-80-ski-boots-2013-transparent-grey-black

or

tecnica-phoenix-max-8-ski-boots-2013-transparent-smoke-black

Bindings

Only to keep costs dowm - a basic Marker binding

marker-10-0-eps-ski-bindings-85-mm-brakes-2013-85

Poles well those are relatively cheap probably around $20 for basic poles. So all total - around $390 so slightly above.

Now if you could swing another $250 I would look for gear that will push you to the next level - for around $500-600 you can score all new decent gear. I saw Line Prophet Flite mentioned - they are running around upper $200's at this time for 2013-14 model. The 2012-13 model is in the lower $200's The only issue with those - they are the only Prophet ski that is not metal reinforced and at higher speed have a tendency to chatter on groomers otherwise super light and decent width.

timm

Last edited:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Make sure your boots fit properly - IMO that's the most important thing.

I am the same height/weight as you, but I ski on 175's. You should consider a longer ski. Turn radius is more about sdecut than ski length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent advice,
I met someone who loved to ski but could never seem to get a good set of boots ( bad fitter? )
I was looking for a set of boots for my son who was'nt to sure about sking or boarding. The first pair I bought were to big for him so I tried them on.
I found my best boot fit by accident a set of Dalbello custom 8.3's on ebay for $60.00
Lots of boots under $100.00 on ebay ,if they don't fit just resell them, you're only out shipping.

RENO

Hello everyone, just joined the forums, anxiously waiting for the winter.

I have been skiing on cheap rentals for a few years now and am ready to buy my own gear. I am a 25 year old male, 150-160 lbs, 5'9"-5'10". Basically the most average person you could imagine. Most of my skiing is in the woods, but I also like to bomb some groomers every now and then, so I guess I'm looking for a typical intermediate all mountain ski. My budget is pretty low - maybe $300 for a full package. I remember enjoying some Salomon Focus's which I rented a few times this past year. I tend to go for shorter skis for my height/weight as I prefer a smaller radius (155-160cm, ~12m radius).

I'm looking for any suggestions anyone might have. I'm ready to buy some used rentals on eBay but wanted to hear what anyone had to say. I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks!
Only 4-5 more months!

PS: I have some videos on my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-P1jTy7YN_P8hd3kemEV1w/videos

Go to a lot of ski areas right now and you can find some great deals, At least 50% off on a lot of last seasons equipment. Not all stores are open, but there's enough that are. All are looking to clear out last seasons stock soon. You could also wait until Fall and hit some of the tent sales. Great deals there also on last seasons equipment. Labor day weekend is good. Columbus weekend is awesome for deals. Many shops at Killington up and down the road and at the swap at Snowshed that weekend.

Stay away from those used rentals on Ebay!!!!! Stay away from used rentals everywhere! You will not be happy...

bigbog

Heed all the above, especially RENO on avoiding rental boots like the plague...
Hunt down and schedule an apptmnt with a respected pedorthist and/or bootfitter that knows his alignment issues on, or prior to(if possible), Columbus Day wkend....for alignment and possibly footbeds if your feet roll around a little. Don't commit to a purchase until you know what size, volume and forward flex is for you....then look at $$$ in a purchase.
Just a few people I've had good info/work from..fwiw: (Do a search..should turn up a thread or two)
1) A new guy(in 08') @GMOL...(forgot name)
2) Had good work done by Nick xxx? @Mt.Snow (orig @GMOL).
3) Pedorthist up in NH(forgot name)..well known(billski went to)
*Once you find your size, read up on boots(boot lasts, now given are good) ...check Epicski(can often be a little too extensive on opinions;-)) and TGR..for opinions...I've had good results going that way.

$.01

Last edited:

timm

On the boot tip, also keep in mind boot fit is a process and you'll likely have to go back mid season for some adjustments once you've put some days on them. Even the best fitter is rarely going to get you a perfect fit the first day since the fit will change as they pack out.

RENO

buy a snowboard
Even better! :lol: I love my snowboard equipment. Boots are awesome. I don't plan on putting on ski boots anytime soon, but you never know. I did however get custom footbeds for my ski boots done at Green Mountain Orthotics Lab http://www.gmolfoot.com/ at Stratton years ago. My wife did too. They do great work. Not cheap though, but if you have to wear ski boots and need work done, they're the guys to do it. Doesn't look like they're at Stratton anymore, but Bromley now.