• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Greek Peak Opening Day 2016-2017

Cornhead

OMG the teepee, that is too funny! The problem was with that stash, kids thought it was just a place to weed :slap:
I was talking to the liftie on 4 telling him how good the trees were, he asked me if I knew about the tee-pee, I said no, he told me where it was. When I got back to the chair he had a big smile on his face, "Well, did you find it?" I hadn't, I told him I'd find it on this run, he just laughed and said, "You'll never find it". I dropped off the service road just before Trojan where he told me to look, stopping every 20 yds or so, looking around. I got past the steep part, nope, missed it again. While I was stopped I heard some kids uphill of me. I watched them cut across the hill and come to a stop, aha, found it. When you came upon it from behind it looked just like a tree.

They probably should've made Hercules a Glade. In most years the headwall is a sheet of ice. It did ski well two years ago, as once it got cold, it stayed cold. Greek skied great that year despite modest snowfall. There was zero ice anywhere.

Sent from my XT1064 using AlpineZone mobile app

Cornhead

I was talking to the liftie on 4 telling him how good the trees were, he asked me if I knew about the tee-pee, I said no, he told me where it was. When I got back to the chair he had a big smile on his face, "Well, did you find it?" I hadn't, I told him I'd find it on this run, he just laughed and said, "You'll never find it". I dropped off the service road just before Trojan where he told me to look, stopping every 20 yds or so, looking around. I got past the steep part, nope, missed it again. While I was stopped I heard some kids uphill of me. I watched them cut across the hill and come to a stop, aha, found it. When you came upon it from behind it looked just like a tree.

They probably should've made Hercules a Glade. In most years the headwall is a sheet of ice. It did ski well two years ago, as once it got cold, it stayed cold. Greek skied great that year despite modest snowfall. There was zero ice anywhere.

Some of us "adults" found it a good place to weed too.[emoji33]

kbird

Agreed! I've only skied Hercules maybe once or twice. I want to SKI it, not ice skate it!:roll:

I wish they would cut more glades, there's quite a few stashes that would be soo killer, starting with Fields since everyone skis in there anyway why not make it part of the trail? :dontknow:

skibum636

Agreed! I've only skied Hercules maybe once or twice. I want to SKI it, not ice skate it!:roll:

I wish they would cut more glades, there's quite a few stashes that would be soo killer, starting with Fields since everyone skis in there anyway why not make it part of the trail? :dontknow:

The old rumor that I heard was that more glades and unmonitored out of bounds skiing makes their insurance go up. Thats why they put up all of those awful signs on the sides of fields and kariatias a few years ago. I agree, an open woods policy and more glades would make greek a lot better. But since they only care about profit we get what we get.

kbird

The old rumor that I heard was that more glades and unmonitored out of bounds skiing makes their insurance go up. Thats why they put up all of those awful signs on the sides of fields and kariatias a few years ago. I agree, an open woods policy and more glades would make greek a lot better. But since they only care about profit we get what we get.
You are most certainly correct! I'm sure the sparse winters over the years didn't help the cause either, can't blame them really. Why up the policy when we can't even keep the glades covered for an entire season?

Quite a while back when Ronnie's was permanently closed I had words with a patroller who told me that 'liability insurance was the sole reason for Ronnie's being permanently closed and will never be reopened again'. It was roughly 10 years later that they reversed that decision and decided to modify the trail and reopen it as Aesop's with the mandatory thin and bare spot signs littering the trail heads. Of course myself and countless others were ecstatic to see those beautiful new signs!

clip.JPEG

If all they have to do is clear 'em and put up the signs, more Glades Please! :thumbup:

Cornhead

Last year was so bad they opened glades with conditions they normally wouldn't. I took a pee and melted the "base" down to grass and twigs.

kbird

Last year was so bad they opened glades with conditions they normally wouldn't. I took a pee and melted the "base" down to grass and twigs.

Wow, they actually opened them? I didn't hit Greek at all last year mainly because of the lack of natural which essentially means to me no tree skiing @ Greek.

To be honest I prefer not to talk about last year, trying to erase it from memory altogether :thumbdown:

Are you in Bingo Corn, you must be somewhat near here?

Cornhead

Conklin, it's exactly the same distance to Greek and Elk from my house. It'd be nice to alternate season passes between the two, but Elk is too pricey, nearly double. That said, if I had to choose between the two, it'd be Greek hands down. There's just much more variety at Greek...when they get snow.

Yes, I've never seen the glades open with so little snow. Rock skis were a must. I think they just wanted to put them on their conditions report. No way they'dve opened them in that state normally. Only tree skiing I got in last year was early at Snow Ridge, and April at Jay. Jay was really good, got a foot just before we got there. There was no one there, they must've given up by then.

Rambo

Update:
Cornhead and I skied Greek on Sat. 12/17/16. Great Day! Lots of powder. People were poaching Olympian.

A couple of pics:
GEDC2856.jpg

Corheads Powder Skis:
(they Dwarf my Dynastar Sultan 94's on the right - which are 94 underfoot)
GEDC2864.jpg

kbird

Awesome, great to hear! I couldn't make it, had to work. Corn how the hell do you turn those suckers? They're like water skis :dontknow:

Cornhead

Awesome, great to hear! I couldn't make it, had to work. Corn how the hell do you turn those suckers? They're like water skis :dontknow:
They're actually bigger than water skis.
b050e1b450a8cb9469fa4965f4f4b86e.jpg

They turn just fine, surprisingly even on groomed. Today was the best day I've had at Greek in years. Good foot plus on Olympian. I think they got a foot last night, that's on top of whatever they picked up in LES during the week. Kudos to Greek for leaving great alone and not grooming anything.
1af636b7aac1b16bd7893f7ee6bc119a.jpg

e5ffbe4c53aafcefaf1300965baa155b.jpg

89dc1d022fb34c8995ff399d9e4028ad.jpg

skibum636

Update:
Cornhead and I skied Greek on Sat. 12/17/16. Great Day! Lots of powder. People were poaching Olympian.

A couple of pics:
View attachment 21257

Corheads Powder Skis:
(they Dwarf my Dynastar Sultan 94's on the right - which are 94 underfoot)
View attachment 21258

Nothing like being in a line watching chairs go up half full... When are the going to learn how to get 4 people in a chair?
When

Regarding the highspeed lift, i hear they don't have room at the top for all the offloading. Is this true.

Cornhead

When the do put people in 4s, often 2 drop back while the lifties aren't watching.

Not an issue today, had to go out of my way to find a partner to share a lift ride with. What a difference a day makes. Alcmene was closed today with only about 50℅ coverage when it was powder filled yesterday. They did groom Karyatis, Fields was left untouched. I loaded my first chair at 8:45 and struggled to make 11:00. It rained the entire time I was on the hill. The bumps were soft, but uber grippy and did not take kindly to any tail sliding. The more you could keep your tips facing down the fall line, the easier it was to ski. Karyatis made for a welcome high speed break towards the end of my day, I hit it twice in my last three runs.

I planned on hitting the bar after dropping off my skis and boots at my car, but opted to head for Binghamton instead. My new Mountain Hardware Snowpocalypse pants performed well in the deluge, the same could not be said for my two year old Sunice shell. It leaked through the pit zips. I guess they didn't think waterproof zippers were needed there, nice waterproof front zip, even one on the chest pocket. My POW leather Gortex mittens worked well. I treated them with Nikwax fabric and leather after warming them up it the clothes dryer pryor to heading out. Did two coats.

Great weekend at Greek, shame the powder couldn't stick around for another day, but today was a good day for leg conditioning. Now fingers crossed for a timely LES dump late next week at Snow Ridge, Christmas Eve is free, well virtually free, 5 cans of food. Guess I better wrap up my Chistmas shopping early just incase.

Last edited: