• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock Management team resigns

snoseek

Yup. I'm quite nervous to see how the commission reacts and the quality of management they hire to replace the outgoing regime. I'm heavily invested in Gunstock for next year because they did such a wonderful job this past season. I don't know how the commission doesn't see that. They probably mostly don't ski and are absolutely clueless on what a well run ski area looks like
I was gonna replace my epic with gunstock for a close local hill this season but am a notorious procrastinator. I guess I'm glad about that for once.

KustyTheKlown

For anyone wondering, my wife is in the group resigning but I’m not going to be able to comment on this for a bit.

i just wanna say i just noticed your al swearingen quote and i am here for it. cocksuckers.

• Haha
Reactions: Edd

thebigo

Only time at gunny this year was for a race, midseason sunday. Crowd was ridiculous, massive line for the quad, not just rural NH massive but vail massive. No place to sit in the lodge for lunch, parking was full. Day left me thinking I could never be a passholder here but this place must be absolutely flush with cash. Did I catch it on a bad day? Has anyone looked at the financials, do they make money?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Conservatives & MAGA ??? Haha
Man, you need a life.
Why do you say that? It is pretty accurate in this instance. Some conservatives who are very passionate and aggressive about downsizing County government.

Vortex

So they have 7 million in the bank and are making money, but need to be micro managed.
It that the short of this?
My wife grew up skiing here, We recently moved close to here and planned on going some nights and other times. We went to an outdoor event there a few weeks ago and saw the zip lining. A very busy area it really looked professional and welcoming. I was extremely impressed.

Many props to management to standing up to support the value of the community. Really shows a classy caring group. Hope this works out and they come back and changes are made on the commission.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Unpopular opinion warning- the entire team walking out 4 months before ski season isn't cool. Do it in April or May if you want to prove a point but still give the ski area a fighting chance for the following winter. Don't F over the public/customers who've done nothing wrong and will now certainly have a season with some questionable operational decisions made. Just my $0.00000002

I don't know the exact circumstances around the whole situation but have followed along with one eye, seems like this was brewing for a while.

snoseek

Sunnunu Came right out and called out the commisions bullshit and for their replacement.

Newpylong

Unpopular opinion warning- the entire team walking out 4 months before ski season isn't cool. Do it in April or May if you want to prove a point but still give the ski area a fighting chance for the following winter. Don't F over the public/customers who've done nothing wrong and will now certainly have a season with some questionable operational decisions made. Just my $0.00000002

I don't know the exact circumstances around the whole situation but have followed along with one eye, seems like this was brewing for a while.

How else do you make your point though? If you do it in April/May they go meh. The walk out en masse ensures that heads will turn because the facility cannot function. Hopefully this is enough to get the commission removed. I doubt these people went into that meeting intending to quit and risk their careers. But when they were effectively placed with the public when they should be seated as partners, that was likely the last straw.

2planks2coasts

Only time at gunny this year was for a race, midseason sunday. Crowd was ridiculous, massive line for the quad, not just rural NH massive but vail massive. No place to sit in the lodge for lunch, parking was full. Day left me thinking I could never be a passholder here but this place must be absolutely flush with cash. Did I catch it on a bad day? Has anyone looked at the financials, do they make money?

Had a pass there 20-21. Actually bought my NH College Pass through them. They get some decent crowds, especially for their night skiing, which is light years better than Pat's Peak. Not routinely crowded to the scale you described. Was a well run mountain that really had a spot in the NH ski landscape. Hope that somehow continues.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Well, DV's President walked out one week before the season started.

drjeff

How else do you make your point though? If you do it in April/May they go meh. The walk out en masse ensures that heads will turn because the facility cannot function. Hopefully this is enough to get the commission removed. I doubt these people went into that meeting intending to quit and risk their careers. But when they were effectively placed with the public when they should be seated as partners, that was likely the last straw.
I am guessing that they had all discussed the full resignation process ahead of time, and the seating thing may have been the straw that broke the camels back. Getting all 4 (I believe that is how many Gunstock admins there were) to spontaeosuly resign together, without having discussed the concept atleast before, while not impossible, defintely not very likely, especially since if they all have spouses and/or families, how their quitting may affect their household livelihoods, is something that has typically been discussed ahead of time

deadheadskier

Staff member

This has been going on for years. The fault lies with the commission. They f'd around too much and now they're finding out. They are a bunch of clowns.

It might impact my family this season, it might not, but I support the Gunstock leadership and quite frankly, I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner given the crap they've had to deal with. They want to improve the mountain, the commission wants to score political points. F them

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sunnunu Came right out and called out the commisions bullshit and for their replacement.

Dear Citizens of Belknap County,
Belknap County has historically been a wonderful steward of Gunstock Mountain Resort,
allowing it to grow, flourish, and provide terrific recreational opportunities for the people of
Belknap County and the citizens of New Hampshire.
Gunstock is truly one of the jewels of the lakes region, but what has been happening over the last
year surrounding the Gunstock Area Commission's inability and unwillingness to work
collaboratively with the management team at Gunstock is deeply concerning.
Yesterday, we witnessed the final straw, where the hardworking management team at Gunstock
felt there was no viable path forward and submitted their resignations.
Representatives Mike Sylvia, Norm Silber, and Gregg Hough, along with the remaining
members of the Gunstock Area Commission have lost the trust of the citizens of Belknap
County. These individuals have made bad decisions, and until they are removed from their
positions and replaced with good people who recognize the wonderful asset that Gunstock is, the
County will continue to suffer.
As someone who has worked in the resort industry, I can say without hesitation that the
management team at Gunstock who submitted their resignations yesterday are among the best
New Hampshire has to offer, and the loss of their expertise will be felt at Gunstock for years to
come.
Immediately upon hearing of their resignations, I called General Manager Tom Day and
informed him that if a resolution is not reached then he and his team would always have
opportunities with our Parks Department and Cannon Mountain. Their loss is immeasurable for
Gunstock and we all hope that this crisis can be avoided.
Sincerely,
Christopher Sununu
Governor
107 North Main Street, State House

deadheadskier

Staff member
Norm Sibler claps back. Says George Soros is potentially funding the resistance against what he and his clown crew are trying to do.

cdskier

Norm Sibler claps back. Says George Soros is potentially funding the resistance against what he and his clown crew are trying to do.

You can't make this stuff up...

Newpylong

Tin Foil hat wearing Free Staters. I heard a missile hit the Pentagon on 9/11 too.

Might as well call a spade a spade.