• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock Management team resigns

deadheadskier

Staff member

What a mess up there. All over politics really.

Hopefully things still run ok this winter

slatham

Wow there must have been some serious underlying issues. For the Commission, this is an embarrassing failure unless they have a seasoned team in the wings, which I highly doubt. I hope they can at least bootstrap it and run this winter.

thetrailboss

Staff member

What a mess up there. All over politics really.

Hopefully things still run ok this winter
Looks like another when for the crazies that I understand are trying to take things over.

thetrailboss

Staff member
To elaborate, from what I understand is there is a major rift between those that have been involved for a long time and support the mountain and a few newer ultra conservative/MAGA folks who want to disown or lease the area because they don’t think the County should own and run a ski area. The latter are quite vocal. Sad. This country is so fucked up right now with fighting and conflict.

Newpylong

Do you live in (the interior of) NH? If you did you would be well aware of the threat that the Free Staters pose.

This whole thing is quite relatable to me after having worked with a non-profit board with zero experience who believed they were smarter than the staff they hired with actual experience.

Last edited:

AdironRider

the problem with the freestaters is they can’t seem to grasp that their ideals are not anywhere close to majority opinion, so resort to backstabbing and chicanery (ala Gunstock) or lie in wait until 20 of them can overrule the vast majority (see Croyden school funding fiasco). If they are going to have success in the long term, they need to campaign for their ideas based on merit, not try and force through an agenda covertly or by manipulating a small towns political system.

Newpylong

Pretty much. I live next to a town with a fairly strong Free State stronghold and every few years when they think no one will go, they show up at Town Meeting and try to zero the budget, defund this department or the that, etc. Croydon is a great example and a good motivator for anyone who actually cares to show up at their Town Meetings and pay attention to prevent that type of malarkey from happening. These people pray on the rural, fairly impoverished communities with little zoning thinking they can throw a fast one by the rest of the town. Sometimes they do...

deadheadskier

Staff member
the problem with the freestaters is they can’t seem to grasp that their ideals are not anywhere close to majority opinion, so resort to backstabbing and chicanery (ala Gunstock) or lie in wait until 20 of them can overrule the vast majority (see Croyden school funding fiasco). If they are going to have success in the long term, they need to campaign for their ideas based on merit, not try and force through an agenda covertly or by manipulating a small towns political system.

Agreed, but that'll never happen because it goes against libertarian ideals. It's all or nothing with that ideology. The primary goal is to privatize absolutely everything. Not just ski areas, but roads, schools, police and fire services.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Do you live in (the interior of) NH? If you did you would be well aware of the threat that the Free Staters pose.

This whole thing is quite relatable to me after having worked with a non-profit board with zero experience who believed they were smarter than the staff they hired with actual experience.

Yup. I'm quite nervous to see how the commission reacts and the quality of management they hire to replace the outgoing regime. I'm heavily invested in Gunstock for next year because they did such a wonderful job this past season. I don't know how the commission doesn't see that. They probably mostly don't ski and are absolutely clueless on what a well run ski area looks like

snoseek

"Both"?

Care to elaborate in what way is the Gunstock issue has anything to do with each?

This should get you up to speed. Feel free to Google the events that lead up to this. This sorta thing has been a growing problem in state.

Newpylong

Yup. I'm quite nervous to see how the commission reacts and the quality of management they hire to replace the outgoing regime. I'm heavily invested in Gunstock for next year because they did such a wonderful job this past season. I don't know how the commission doesn't see that. They probably mostly don't ski and are absolutely clueless on what a well run ski area looks like
These boards typically are out of touch with day to day operations/reality and have little understanding that they are not only dealing with people's livelihoods (the employees) but also can detrimentally effect the product with their decisions. In my past experience in this type of situation, the board had no idea what it took to operate a ski area and ignored that fact that human capital was just as if not more important than real capital. I would implore anyone getting started in the industry or looking to make a move stay far away from any mountain with a governing board at the top. At least if there is poor private ownership, they are the devil you know.