• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock Management team resigns

Bratwurst

Just finished binge reading this thread. Wow, what a rollercoaster ! I'm a big fan of state owned Cannon. So, the political shenanigans at county owned Gunstock worried me. The upshot after reading Boston mag's excellent summation of the past 7 months is Gunstock is safe FOR NOW. (fingers crossed)

I'm semi-retired and planning to move to NH for my mental health....and skiing. I can't tell you the damage living in the Boston area for the past 60+ years has done to my psyche. Massholes will understand!

But I really don't know NH as well as I wish I did. Belknap county seems like a decent place if the way they took hold of their own destiny over the Gunstock issue is any indication. I'd be interested if any of you Granite Staters living north of the Whites have any opinions on the towns up there, like Gorham, Littleton, Berlin. I met a skier from Berlin on the lift Monday at BW who said Bethlehem is a reasonable place. And the lake towns might be good also.

I know this is a bit off topic being a Gunstock thread but I didn't want to start another thread and I'd appreciate any local knowledge of towns that are good for winter sports and quality of life. Thanks..........

Granite1

Just finished binge reading this thread. Wow, what a rollercoaster ! I'm a big fan of state owned Cannon. So, the political shenanigans at county owned Gunstock worried me. The upshot after reading Boston mag's excellent summation of the past 7 months is Gunstock is safe FOR NOW. (fingers crossed)

I'm semi-retired and planning to move to NH for my mental health....and skiing. I can't tell you the damage living in the Boston area for the past 60+ years has done to my psyche. Massholes will understand!

But I really don't know NH as well as I wish I did. Belknap county seems like a decent place if the way they took hold of their own destiny over the Gunstock issue is any indication. I'd be interested if any of you Granite Staters living north of the Whites have any opinions on the towns up there, like Gorham, Littleton, Berlin. I met a skier from Berlin on the lift Monday at BW who said Bethlehem is a reasonable place. And the lake towns might be good also.

I know this is a bit off topic being a Gunstock thread but I didn't want to start another thread and I'd appreciate any local knowledge of towns that are good for winter sports and quality of life. Thanks..........
If you vote for democrats stay in Boston, you get what you voted for, or Vermont is the place for you-please stay out of NH. Otherwise, Northern NH is a great place to live free or die-no state income tax on your retirement income and no state sales tax. Although there are plenty of democrats in NH that can't wait to get their dirty hands our wealth/savings through a state income and state sales tax.

Bratwurst

If you vote for democrats stay in Boston, you get what you voted for, or Vermont is the place for you-please stay out of NH. Otherwise, Northern NH is a great place to live free or die-no state income tax on your retirement income and no state sales tax. Although there are plenty of democrats in NH that can't wait to get their dirty hands our wealth/savings through a state income and state sales tax.

I'm actually an independent. I don't like radical politics right or left. There are plenty of cranky yankees up north but I can be kinda crusty myself. I'm looking for small town life without a massive drug problem. I was talking to some skiers at BW and they said Littleton still has a drug problem but there a good areas and bad areas in any town.

Granite1

I'm actually an independent. I don't like radical politics right or left. There are plenty of cranky yankees up north but I can be kinda crusty myself. I'm looking for small town life without a massive drug problem. I was talking to some skiers at BW and they said Littleton still has a drug problem but there a good areas and bad areas in any town.
You might like the Lincoln-North Woodstock area. Loon is in Lincoln, Cannon and Bretton Woods close by. I don't think there is a druggie problem there.

snoseek

Live where you like. Vote how you like. Don't worry about your neighbor's politics. Drug problems are everywhere if you don't like drugs don't do them.

snoseek

Get the fuck out of here with your bullshit politics...we get it.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Granite, not even a week ago, you were told to cut the crap with your constant crowbarring in politics. You're not getting the message.

Enough already

Plenty of other forums out there to blast your political views. Go there if it's that important to you

Granite1

Granite, not even a week ago, you were told to cut the crap with your constant crowbarring in politics. You're not getting the message.

Enough already

Plenty of other forums out there to blast your political views. Go there if it's that important to you
Bratwurst's reply was political to begin with:

"So, the political shenanigans at county owned Gunstock worried me. The upshot after reading Boston mag's excellent summation of the past 7 months is Gunstock is safe FOR NOW. (fingers crossed)

I'm semi-retired and planning to move to NH for my mental health....and skiing. I can't tell you the damage living in the Boston area for the past 60+ years has done to my psyche. Massholes will understand!"

I have given Bratwurst my advice....he's worried about his mental health because of Boston politics. My post is legitimate. Furthermore, I have suggested excellent places to retire and live in NH, the Live Free or Die State, where he can have a better quality of life and can ski.

Bratwurst

"So, the political shenanigans at county owned Gunstock worried me. The upshot after reading Boston mag's excellent summation of the past 7 months is Gunstock is safe FOR NOW. (fingers crossed)

I'm semi-retired and planning to move to NH for my mental health....and skiing. I can't tell you the damage living in the Boston area for the past 60+ years has done to my psyche. Massholes will understand!"

I have given Bratwurst my advice....he's worried about his mental health because of Boston politics. My post is legitimate. Furthermore, I have suggested excellent places to retire and live in NH, the Live Free or Die State, where he can have a better quality of life and can ski.

TLDR: I was not trying to inject politics into this forum. If it seemed that way-My Bad.

To be honest, I was not overtly trying to be political. I think conservatives and liberals would agree that there was political motivation in the Gunstock drama. The AZ forum was the first I heard about this and I think it was much more about what the majority of voters of the county wanted vs what a select few wanted. In the last election, the "will of the people" prevailed. The top management are back in place. The voters wanted this, a county run ski area employing their friends and neighbors, catering to their children and turning a profit for the county as well as bringing $ to local businesses. So, this is a triumph of democracy with a small d.

And as far as my psyche is concerned, moving out of a crime ridden, congested, noisy, fast paced city life to a rural place is far more important than the politics of eastern Massachusetts.

And I don't know the personalities on this forum. It's just about the skiing. Granite1 did make the suggestion of Lincoln/Woodstock which is a good idea. Bartlett over on 302 is a favorite of mine too but I don't think I can afford it.

I'm gonna limit myself to 4 sentences in future posts or I'll put you all to sleep, but remember what Shay Duffin once said, "Never tell an Irishman to be brief"

Bratwurst

Can't wait to retire in NH with my weed, snowboard and liberal politics.

I'm going to heelslide down all your trails, vote for commies, and hotbox the Cannon tram.
I can just imagine the tram doors opening at the top, dense smoke billowing out and everyone staggering out like zombies making a beeline for cafe 4080' and cleaning it out of every munchie, cookie and snack then leaving a trail of wrappers and crumbs all the way to Cannonball Pub🥮🧁🥮🧁🧁🍩🍪

deadheadskier

Staff member

Any normal person reading his post didn't view it as a foul cry about politics in Mass you zealot.

This isn't a discussion and your rationalization for blasting politics is utter nonsense.

Final warning. Let's see if you can control yourself.

cdskier

Any normal person reading his post didn't view it as a foul cry about politics in Mass you zealot.

Agreed. Just because someone mentions the word "political" does not make it a post about politics where someone is trying to push an agenda. There's a big distinction between the two.

Granite1

Agreed. Just because someone mentions the word "political" does not make it a post about politics where someone is trying to push an agenda. There's a big distinction between the two.
This entire topic is about politics and practically every post is political. It was a good outcome, locals taking control of their own destiny, instead of outside political forces.

jimmywilson69

no Doubt on all of that. however, this

If you vote for democrats stay in Boston, you get what you voted for, or Vermont is the place for you-please stay out of NH.

Has nothing to do with the politics of this thread. I personally don't care where you stand and you shouldn't care where I stand when it comes to politics. Stop being so polarizing for the sake of thumping your chest