• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock Management team resigns

Keelhauled

If you think discussion of a very narrow and directly ski related political matter is equivalent in useful discourse to blanket statements of us and them political screeds you're either completely ignorant of basic etiquette or posting in deliberate bad faith.

jimmywilson69

Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

Granite1

If you think discussion of a very narrow and directly ski related political matter is equivalent in useful discourse to blanket statements of us and them political screeds you're either completely ignorant of basic etiquette or posting in deliberate bad faith.
The population of NH is about 1.4 million. The population of MA-RI-CT is about 11.7 million. MA alone is 7 million. Advocating the NH way of life against outside populations more than 10 times larger than NH is admirable when those populations can change the entire character of a state.

Smellytele

The population of NH is about 1.4 million. The population of MA-RI-CT is about 11.7 million. MA alone is 7 million. Advocating the NH way of life against outside populations more than 10 times larger than NH is admirable when those populations can change the entire character of a state.
Too late

Newpylong

There are types of people in NH: those who were lucky enough to have been born here, and those who were smart enough to move here. I have found the folks from MA that have moved here did so because they were sick of that state and have done absolutely nothing to change "our way of life". Some of the nicest people in town are transplants and volunteer for town committees and non-profits, etc. We all knock on flat landers but one must be realistic about the effect they're having.

Smellytele

Well not that I want to get into this but I have seen many times when people move here (not just saying people from Mass or one political party or another) because they like what a town is like and the tax rates. Then they complain that there are no sidewalks, no trash pick up and want more services like they had where they lived before. These are the reasons why the town was the way it was...

deadheadskier

Staff member
The only thing constant in life is change. I've lived in 12 different states and in multiple towns in a few of them. Every place I've been has changed drastically over my lifetime including the current town I've called home for 15 years. That's the way it goes in a modern migratory society / economy. Complaining about it and hoping for anything different outside of your home that you control and your one vote is a counter productive way to think and live in 2023 USA.

Granite1

There are some things that can be done at the state and local level through zoning and other laws. For instance, no more building million dollar homes on the lower slopes of ski areas that benefit only a few very wealthy people. All the million dollar homes at South Peak at Loon have signs at the end of the driveways with owner's name and hometown-almost all of them list their primary home in MA. Same thing for Okemo-Mount Snow-Stratton. These large scale million dollar home projects at ski areas are destroying the natural environment of the mountains, the lower slopes and watershed with their runoff. Their sewage ends up in our rivers and pollute them. Any new housing projects should be away from ski slopes and include affordable housing for people that live and work in NH-VT-ME. I'm usually against new taxes, however, I wouldn't care a bit if the wealthy people that own ski-in/ski-out homes were taxed 10x more than they are now to help fund infrastructure and housing projects that benefit locals. The sale of these homes should also include large payments (at least 2%) to a land bank, similar to what they have on Nantucket, they have raised tens of millions of dollars being used to buy land, preserve it, and towards affordable housing. The same goes for our lakes in NH. The state and local governments have totally ruined our lakes allowing million dollar homes on our lake shores. Lake Winnipesauke will be a dead lake in 50 years. Unlike Lake Chocorua and Dublin Lake, which have pristine shores that have been preserved.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't care where second home owners are from. You keep bringing up Massachusetts people as some sorta problem. There are better paying jobs in Mass than in NH, VT or ME. Of course a lot more people are going to live there and in turn spend their money in vacation destinations.

If they've managed to do well in life and can afford a slopeside home or waterfront real estate, good for them. I'm on my boat on Winnipesaukee 30-40 days a summer. While I don't care for the mega mansions on the lake, it's not my land or money. They can do what they want. The lake is hardly going to be "dead" in 50 years. It's absolutely dead during the weekdays all summer.

I enjoy undeveloped lakes like Chocurua as well, but there's something to be said for variety. I very much enjoy all of the free town docks in the five towns on Winnipesaukee with all of the restaurants and entertainment they provide. I have a great time every day out there with family and friends.

You certainly are an angry and close minded individual who wants everyone to live and act like you do. How boring

Bratwurst

I'm usually against new taxes, however, I wouldn't care a bit if the wealthy people that own ski-in/ski-out homes were taxed 10x more than they are now to help fund infrastructure and housing projects that benefit locals.
At first glance, some might say this is a Bernie Sanders tax the rich stance, but what I would call it is the classic conservative viewpoint of fairness that preserves and protects the environment for everyone, not just the privileged elite. And THAT is what makes northern New England so appealing to flatlanders who spend 95% of our vacation time hiking, biking, snowshoeing, skiing, winter camping and enjoying the natural environment. Northern NE is not overdeveloped, YET! Hope it stays that way, even if it means I can never afford to live there.

And as far as wealthy flatlanders building trophy houses in northern NE, take a look at Vermont which is overrun with New Yorkers and Nutmeggers. It happens everywhere. Oregon and Washington are overrun with rich Californians. Idaho is bursting at the seams in places like Boise. I have no problem with mobility except when it's at the expense of the local working and middle class.

And as far as taxing the rich their fair share, I reckon that's too hot and political a subject for a skiing forum. Maybe I can splash a little gasoline and see if anyone else wants to start that fire! (JOKE)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Winnipesaukee is an incredibly clean lake. Cleaner now than in the past in fact. Are you just making up BS Granite?

Smellytele

As I said people move to NH because of what it is and in the process change what it is…
Yes change is inevitable but there are ways to minimize it.

MadKitty

Then shame on NH for not having better regulations to handle stormwater runoff. Or is that taken care of by live free or die?
NH has some of the strongest environmental/water regulations in the country. The environmental agency (NHDES) is stricter than the EPA in many ways, just look at national standards for contaminants such as arsenic and pfas vs. what's allowed in NH. In many NH towns development is much more regulated than most of the US. Live free or die means you don't need a seatbelt and their isn't much help for the poor.

drjeff

Winnipesaukee is an incredibly clean lake. Cleaner now than in the past in fact. Are you just making up BS Granite?
100% agree with this. Grandparents had a place on Winnipesaukee from 1970-2013, still have family living in Wolfeboro who are out on the lake all Summer. Back in the 70's/80's lake clarity and just general grime (typically oil based that built up on your boat/mooring lines/dock/etc that were in the Lake for long periods of time) was subtsantial the the clarity of the water made it tough to see the bottom at the end of my grandparents dock which dependng on the water levels was anywhere between 8 and 9 feet on average. Through the late 80's and beyond, when serious attention to cleaning up the lake began in ernest, you could see the amount of grime as well as oil based residue dramatically decrease and the clarity of the lake increase. Haven't been in the water out infront of where my grandparents place ind Delings Cove just off of South Wolfeboro Bay was located in about a decade, but the clarity had improved to to the point where seeing 15+ feet down was easy, and my Uncle and Cousin's who are regular out on the Lake all Summer long tell me that the trend as continued, and when I walked out on the town docks in Wolfeboro last Summer I wouldn't doubt that at all. Additionally with the tght regulations for Septic Systems for lake side homes as well a cogniscent effort to not use various fertilizers on the lawns and gardens of many lake side residences now very typical, the community as a whole is behind doing it's part to keep that incredible lake thiving, even inspite of the amount of urine that goes into the lake most every Summer Weekend in places like Brain Bay and the West Alton Sandbar or anywhere near where the Dive Party bar is anchored for that day! :ROFLMAO: