• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

High Priced Lift Tickets

snoseek

Good point. I think they control most of the market.

FWIW Snowbird, Alta, are also following this model too.
When I first skied alta day tickets were a steal and passes were super limited. For a season pass you had to enter a lottery and there was a good chance you wouldnt win. They really did a 180 there.

4aprice

But, if they just want to SKI, but not ski some famous fashionable mountain, they still have some options to choose from. Many newbies or resort hoppers too, can still go for the independent mountains, which will be “more affordable”.
This I totally agree with. The issue with newbies is the retention rate. The percentage of new skiers returning for another time is super low. Seems to me that the resorts may now see catering to beginners as a waste of resources. The model has changed and things are more geared toward the private lessons or coaching. They make a lot more money that way.

This is where hopefully the smaller independent and local ski hills step in and take that place, offering packages and deals for lessons, equipment etc. with aggressive pricing and affordable deals. I someone were to ask me where to learn to ski I would steer them in that direction

When I was younger I worked a couple of seasons in Ski School at local resorts and at those times they all had an army of Instructors but even now a my home mountain down here in PA, you don't see too many of then out instructing classes on the trails. Covid of course did a number on on all that everywhere.

MidnightJester

Grrrrrrrr, Welcome to the new price point mountains will salivate at :(

Dynamic pricing is a bull shit way to make more money. This same ticket "dynamic" price shifting led to mid summer concert tickets selling for thousands instead of few a hundred. This is not due to them alone selling the seats just more people looking at the ticket at the same time jumps the price.

Last edited:

raisingarizona

This I totally agree with. The issue with newbies is the retention rate. The percentage of new skiers returning for another time is super low. Seems to me that the resorts may now see catering to beginners as a waste of resources. The model has changed and things are more geared toward the private lessons or coaching. They make a lot more money that way.

This is where hopefully the smaller independent and local ski hills step in and take that place, offering packages and deals for lessons, equipment etc. with aggressive pricing and affordable deals. I someone were to ask me where to learn to ski I would steer them in that direction

When I was younger I worked a couple of seasons in Ski School at local resorts and at those times they all had an army of Instructors but even now a my home mountain down here in PA, you don't see too many of then out instructing classes on the trails. Covid of course did a number on on all that everywhere.
They aren't concerned with getting new people into the sport because they've got plenty of participants for the next 20-30 years and that's all they need. Once climate change closes 80-90% of the ski areas we have today companies like Vail resorts and just a few others will be sitting on the last ski areas that are actually functioning. Then it will truly become an elitist sport that will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to actually remain what we call a "skier".

snoseek

They aren't concerned with getting new people into the sport because they've got plenty of participants for the next 20-30 years and that's all they need. Once climate change closes 80-90% of the ski areas we have today companies like Vail resorts and just a few others will be sitting on the last ski areas that are actually functioning. Then it will truly become an elitist sport that will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to actually remain what we call a "skier".
If the bc isn't busy enough now this will be the tipping point to a total shitshow.

djd66

Really not sure what the issue is. I pony up every year for 4 season passes. If you choose not to buy a pass, your daily ski expense should be much higher than mine. Weekend walk up rate for Sugarbush is $185. As a pass holder - I am happy with that. On really busy days - I would have no issue with them charging more.

raisingarizona

Really not sure what the issue is. I pony up every year for 4 season passes. If you choose not to buy a pass, your daily ski expense should be much higher than mine. Weekend walk up rate for Sugarbush is $185. As a pass holder - I am happy with that. On really busy days - I would have no issue with them charging more.
It's a problem if you want to attract more people to the sport. I don't think anyone feels the need to do that at this point.

I have no problem with Snowbowl charging 309 last weekend.

raisingarizona

If the bc isn't busy enough now this will be the tipping point to a total shitshow.
I doubt it. It will be become too expensive and inconsistent for the working people. Maybe at the high elevation passes though. Yeah, I could see that being a total shit show. I'd bail on it all together at that point. That's a nope for me but I'll be old as F in 20 years :D

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
It's a problem if you want to attract more people to the sport. I don't think anyone feels the need to do that at this point.

I have no problem with Snowbowl charging 309 last weekend.
I wonder what percentage of people who ski regularly had a parent or relative take them skiing for the first time. I started out on a whim, a neighbor friend asked me if I wanted to go.
I was twelve and could hear my parents saying no way with today’s pricing structure.

More Dome skiing powered by Solar Power of course.

Vter

Said it before and I’ll say it again…bring back the “Pass Booklets”
One Ticky = One Ride, Good Any day !
Hand them out to your friends, give ‘em away to strangers you met/slept with…who cares, they are paid for in advance of the Ride. (At a reasonable early discounted rate) Not $30+ a pop, as an average skier might pay for a day ticket.
Maybe it’s just me, but the hassle of the new, want to try it, but don’t be an idiot and pay full window prices is an Asshole talk’s. Jesus H Christ !

Core skiers keep it real with Passes but for the infrequent, newbee…or “just want to try this shit out, but I’m cold already” it’s perfect.
Stowe used to have these back in the day. I had a pass when they became available, but my family would always have “tickets” per ride for those who didn’t want to vest in a day/season pass. With tech today, there would be little slow-ups to provide this service and let “non-core” skiers have a blast or not.
“They want your $ so they can show the bank … it’s old “business” and people don’t go to jail for “inflated projected sales” for loans.
Just bring back the “No Ticky, No Ride” booklets, problem solved. Now have a beer/smoke and think about your next turns or not, eh.

4aprice

I wonder what percentage of people who ski regularly had a parent or relative take them skiing for the first time. I started out on a whim, a neighbor friend asked me if I wanted to go.
I was twelve and could hear my parents saying no way with today’s pricing structure.

More Dome skiing powered by Solar Power of course.
This used to be where the schools and church groups came in with group rates equipment etc. . I base this off of my local hill here in the Pocono's but my observation is that I used to see way more busses and groups then I do now. I'm not connected with the schools in our town anymore, the HS had a ski club, but several years ago they took away the Presidents Week or Winter Holiday because parents complained that they had nothing to do with their kids at this time of year. Covid of course has added to chaos and things that shall not be anymore. I will say this the "Dome" or as I call it "The Ramp" would be an excellent place to teach someone how to ski.

SteezyRob

when do you predict that 80-90% of ski areas will close due to climate change? Please give me a date, have a feeling it will be funny later.

Last edited:

zyk

Said it before and I’ll say it again…bring back the “Pass Booklets”
One Ticky = One Ride, Good Any day !
Hand them out to your friends, give ‘em away to strangers you met/slept with…who cares, they are paid for in advance of the Ride. (At a reasonable early discounted rate) Not $30+ a pop, as an average skier might pay for a day ticket.
Maybe it’s just me, but the hassle of the new, want to try it, but don’t be an idiot and pay full window prices is an Asshole talk’s. Jesus H Christ !

Core skiers keep it real with Passes but for the infrequent, newbee…or “just want to try this shit out, but I’m cold already” it’s perfect.
Stowe used to have these back in the day. I had a pass when they became available, but my family would always have “tickets” per ride for those who didn’t want to vest in a day/season pass. With tech today, there would be little slow-ups to provide this service and let “non-core” skiers have a blast or not.
“They want your $ so they can show the bank … it’s old “business” and people don’t go to jail for “inflated projected sales” for loans.
Just bring back the “No Ticky, No Ride” booklets, problem solved. Now have a beer/smoke and think about your next turns or not, eh.
Cash grass or ... Nobody rides for free

That said I was brought up in ski programs. My parents weren't that well off so it couldn't have been that expensive. These programs create the next generation of skiers and riders.

jimmywilson69

yeah Peaks, then Vail killed off a rather successful and profitable (at least in the eyes of a privately held company) program that Snowtime used to run at the now owned Vail southcentral PA resorts. In the eyes of the corporate bean counters in Broomfield, they already give plenty of cheap options. None of which include a rental or lesson option. The bean counters answer to shareholders only care about now, not the future.

Its a pretty big ask to have a family of 4 to shell out $500+ dollars for a northeast value pass and then procure skis and lessons. I work with a family of 4 who wanted to get their kids into skiing and after talking the lady through their options, they decided it wasn't worth it for 4 or 5 times to see if their kids liked skiing enough to be all in. This is a family where both the husband and wife are engineers and are paid rather well. That's 4 potential lifetime pass holders they have turned off by not having an "entry level" pass combo that is only good at 3 feeder mountains. The fact that these corporate big wigs can't see this is infuriating...

drjeff

yeah Peaks, then Vail killed off a rather successful and profitable (at least in the eyes of a privately held company) program that Snowtime used to run at the now owned Vail southcentral PA resorts. In the eyes of the corporate bean counters in Broomfield, they already give plenty of cheap options. None of which include a rental or lesson option. The bean counters answer to shareholders only care about now, not the future.

Its a pretty big ask to have a family of 4 to shell out $500+ dollars for a northeast value pass and then procure skis and lessons. I work with a family of 4 who wanted to get their kids into skiing and after talking the lady through their options, they decided it wasn't worth it for 4 or 5 times to see if their kids liked skiing enough to be all in. This is a family where both the husband and wife are engineers and are paid rather well. That's 4 potential lifetime pass holders they have turned off by not having an "entry level" pass combo that is only good at 3 feeder mountains. The fact that these corporate big wigs can't see this is infuriating...
100% agree that atleast some of the folks making the decisions out in Broomfield just think from the perspective of operating big destination resorts in a one size fits all approach, rather than understanding that many of their properties now are regional development/feeder hills and on many fronts should be looked at differently from a operations and available programs perspective, which ultimately will likely grow those resorts and skier visits.

Kristen Lynch in her year plus now at the helm of Vail Resorts certainly has made some calls in how the company operates that were different from Rob Katz's vision. Let's see if she makes some calls about how the regional feeder hills are operated going forward

trackbiker

I agree that they are killing off future customers and not looking at the long run. I also think that current crowds will subside a bit as people get back into other activities post Covid. (i.e. Weddings, birthday parties, kids other winter sports, etc.)
Publicly traded companies only care about the next quarterly results. That's what the managers with the big salaries are measured on and what their bonuses are bases on. They worry about what the shareholders think, not the customer. They want to squeeze as much $ out of you as they can with giving as little in return as they have to. Why would you expect anything else from them?

TyWebb

Definitely think there is a problem for costs if you’re introducing yourself or someone to the sport but … you can still get to a mountain like Pico for $71 on some weekends, even less during the week, off their website. Berkshire East and Catamount are $54 (non-holiday) off the REI website. I’m sure with a little work there are some other values out there.

When one considers the cost of a round of golf, day at the amusement park, or other entertainment costs - those prices aren’t bad at all for a day of you choose not to go to one of the larger resorts