• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How are conditions this week?

dlague

With *ain on Friday and Spring conditions on Saturday and Sunday (for the most part) I expect everything to refreeze HARD - the woods and bumps are not going to be any good - so fast groomers are anticipated. For those who get out during the week it would be good to here what it is like for those making plans for the weekend 2/28-3/2.

steamboat1

Plan on going to VT. tomorrow morning for a few days. Coming back Thurs. night then driving back up with my daughter Fri. evening for the weekend. I'll try to report Thurs. night when I get home. I don't have a internet connection while I'm in VT.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Went to Mohawk Saturday night...its pretty bad. Ice, ice, and more ice. Didn't touch the trees. Moguls on Wildwood were better than the rest of the mountain, but not great. Snow is needed. If you can find a place that gets more than a foot this week, go there. Some places got a few inches today, plus a few more on Wednesday perhaps.

Edd

Went to Shawnee Peak in Maine this morning. Bulletproof.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

I have been reading some of the condition reports of the randomly picked ski areas and they all paint a rosy picture. Have you ever noticed that the condition reports never read like the trip reports that are posted when conditions are harsh. I am talking about condition reports and trip reports for the same day.

In fact, we have visited may resorts in December or January that had hard refreezes and the conditions report generally mention machine groomed trails (which they were but very thin). Just a thought!

Trails have to be getting scrapped off quickly right now!

Edd

From my memory, it's rare for a ski area's report to say "Well guys, this shit is hard as a rock so bring your carving skis". They'll cop to a rain event (and point out how soft the snow will be), and maybe some winds. Unrelenting firmness, however, seems to go unmentioned.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

slatham

So VT areas got a surprise 4" yesterday. A few more dustings this week and I'll bet this weekend is pretty good. If one of these systems outperforms and they get 6" or more it will be back to full on great skiing.

xwhaler

So VT areas got a surprise 4" yesterday. A few more dustings this week and I'll bet this weekend is pretty good. If one of these systems outperforms and they get 6" or more it will be back to full on great skiing.

That would be good news as we'll be at Magic on Sat, Okemo Sunday AM

MadMadWorld

From my memory, it's rare for a ski area's report to say "Well guys, this shit is hard as a rock so bring your carving skis". They'll cop to a rain event (and point out how soft the snow will be), and maybe some winds. Unrelenting firmness, however, seems to go unmentioned.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Mad River Glen will say that. They are usually brutally honest but they have a cult following that actually enjoys skiing on crap like that. They wear that badge proudly.

WWF-VT

Mad River Glen will say that. They are usually brutally honest but they have a cult following that actually enjoys skiing on crap like that. They wear that badge proudly.

I skied at MRG on Saturday 2/22. It was variably described as "dust on crust", "rigid" "eminently edgeable" and "technically challenging". Suprisingly the groomers were great. There was an inch or two of fresh snow that made Lynx, Antelope and Fall Line bearable but very challenging. Canyon, Slalom Hill and a few other trails off the double never softened up and were very demanding. We skied from 9 to 3 and for the MRG regulars I was with it was just another day on the mountain.

MadMadWorld

I skied at MRG on Saturday 2/22. It was variably described as "dust on crust", "rigid" "eminently edgeable" and "technically challenging". Suprisingly the groomers were great. There was an inch or two of fresh snow that made Lynx, Antelope and Fall Line bearable but very challenging. Canyon, Slalom Hill and a few other trails off the double never softened up and were very demanding. We skied from 9 to 3 and for the MRG regulars I was with it was just another day on the mountain.

Good stuff. Glad you had a blast. The terrain is a lot of fun in itself and I think that makes conditions a little more bearable than they would at other mountains.

crank

Just checked Jay Peak's snow report. Here's the "amusing" part. They start out saying they have picked up nearly a foot of snow in the past 7 days. No mention of rain with 2-3" after said rain event. When you read a bit farther you see surface conditions of machine groomed granular. Sure sounds like almost a foot of snow to me...ayuh.

OK mini rant over.

C-Rex

Anyone been to Jay lately? I have a pair of passes I need to use but I'm hoping they'll get some snow so the woods will be in play...

dlague

Anyone been to Jay lately? I have a pair of passes I need to use but I'm hoping they'll get some snow so the woods will be in play...

I have some peeps up there today so hope to hear from them! Plan on being there this weekend!