• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How is Whiteface these days?

Mike521

Hi all,

I haven't been to Whiteface since I was in college about 20 years ago. At that time it was nicknamed iceface and was not known for having the best conditions.

Just wondering how it is these days? I took a long break from skiing, and have now been learning to snowboard for the past 3 seasons. I can handle all greens and most blues, and I'm wondering if I could handle Whiteface at this point. But I absolutely need real snow, I can't handle ice or hardpack.

So how are things these days, is it still icy or do they make good snow to compensate? Also how are lift lines on weekends?

Edit/sidenote: I'm on Long Island and am thinking about this for a weekend trip. Maybe Gore is a good option instead?

Thanks in advance!

Mike521

Mt snow, okemo, Plattekill, hunter, catamount and butternut.. at okemo I had trouble with some blues that had moguls (I always hated moguls).

Usually it's the ice/hardpack that gets me. For example last season I went to Hunter a few times and I did perfectly fine on belt parkway and such, because there was very good snow cover. But this season I went to Hunter and had a lot of trouble on belt parkway because their snowmaking is garbage and it was all hard pack on the steep sections.

So basically, give me snow and I'm in good shape even on steeper blues, but give me moguls, ice and hard pack and I'll fall constantly

x10003q

Hi all,

I haven't been to Whiteface since I was in college about 20 years ago. At that time it was nicknamed iceface and was not known for having the best conditions.

Just wondering how it is these days? I took a long break from skiing, and have now been learning to snowboard for the past 3 seasons. I can handle all greens and most blues, and I'm wondering if I could handle Whiteface at this point. But I absolutely need real snow, I can't handle ice or hardpack.

So how are things these days, is it still icy or do they make good snow to compensate? Also how are lift lines on weekends?

Edit/sidenote: I'm on Long Island and am thinking about this for a weekend trip. Maybe Gore is a good option instead?

Thanks in advance!
Go to Gore. Whiteface does not have a lot of green and blue trails. Gore is loaded with green and blue trails, plus it is a much shorter drive than WF.

Mike521

Thanks all,

Yea I was thinking Gore might be easier. But it won't tell me if I'm still capable of handling whiteface :)

So does anyone know about the conditions at whiteface these days? Is it still iceface?

BenedictGomez

It's the same today, only ski Whiteface after some snow. But if you're mostly a beginner or low-level intermediate, Whiteface is a terrible choice.

Kingslug20

I tried teaching a friend who mived up there how to ski.....it was to say the least..very challenging.

NYDB

Thanks all,

Yea I was thinking Gore might be easier. But it won't tell me if I'm still capable of handling whiteface :)

So does anyone know about the conditions at whiteface these days? Is it still iceface?
What the posters above are trying to tell you nicely, is that if you are struggling with the blues at the notoriously steep and challenging Okemo, you might need a bit more seasoning for an enjoyable visit to Whiteface.

Mike521

Thanks @NY DirtBag , but the summary was unnecessary. My reading comprehension is strong enough that I understood the suggestions everyone gave, hence why I thanked them. I stubbornly still wanted an answer to the question I asked though, hence why I reiterated it.

urungus

Its still ”Ice Face”. But pretty much any ski area is going to be icy after a classic New England thaw-freeze cycle. So I would recommend keeping an eye on the weather and only going skiing when you know conditions will be good (eg this weekend), rather than trying to find some place that will always be ice free.

ThatGuy

It was Iceface 20 years ago and it still is today. Maybe after another 20 years of global warming it will be nicknamed Greenface

Mike521

Thanks @urungus & @ThatGuy. Sounds very much like it's one for me to avoid unless there's some good snowfall. I didn't mind dealing with ice as much when I was in college, but nowadays I have no tolerance for it.

ThatGuy

Thanks @urungus & @ThatGuy. Sounds very much like it's one for me to avoid unless there's some good snowfall. I didn't mind dealing with ice as much when I was in college, but nowadays I have no tolerance for it.
This weekend would be one of the good times to hit it if this storm pans out. But it will probably be very busy and Orda limits ticket sales.

So Inclined

My one and only time at Whiteface was a couple weeks ago - the three days up to and including that storm that coated the Catskills and western New England in ice. Only at Whiteface it was about 30 hours of continuous snow to the tune of around 16" after a firm but very skiable pre-storm bluebird day. And virtually no crowds the three (week)days I was there. (At least by my definition of crowds, but I usually ski Hunter.). The first few turns on Upper Skyward were a bit dicey when they were shrouded in a snow cloud during the storm, but other than that I didn't things were that crazy difficult there.

In other words, it was wonderful. I'm sure you WF vets all are right in pointing to the Iceface rep and the emphasis on puckering terrain, but as they say, when it's good it's really good.

Mike521

@So Inclined I agree, I had my season pass at whiteface when I was in college and that's where I went from a complete beginner to a competent intermediate skier. That's why I'm not terrified by the idea of going there nowadays as beginner/intermediate snowboarder. I remember those trails well enough to know that if you put a decent snow cover on them, I can handle them on a snowboard.

But I had and much higher tolerance for ice and hardpack back in the day. These days I just get pissed off whenever I see it, because for the most part it tells me that the mountain is being cheap and not blowing enough snow. I really don't have any interest in getting good at handling it

So that probably means I'll steer clear of iceface until there's a decent snowfall :)

MidnightJester

After steady criticism about the alpine trail operations at Whiteface Mountain, the head of the Olympic Regional Development Authority has summoned the general manager of Belleayre Ski Center to report to Wilmington from the Catskills for help. The move by ORDA Chief Executive Officer Ashley Walden comes after mounting complaints about the quality of trail conditions at the northernmost and most challenging ski facility run by the authority for the state.

urungus

After steady criticism about the alpine trail operations at Whiteface Mountain, the head of the Olympic Regional Development Authority has summoned the general manager of Belleayre Ski Center to report to Wilmington from the Catskills for help. The move by ORDA Chief Executive Officer Ashley Walden comes after mounting complaints about the quality of trail conditions at the northernmost and most challenging ski facility run by the authority for the state.
“The whistleblower letter of last April asserted that management decisions have resulted in snow piles — whales — left on open trails“
and
”He has called attention to sometimes challenging conditions due to whales, ice and rough patches”

WTF. Don’t most people enjoy having whales on open trails ?

Smellytele

“The whistleblower letter of last April asserted that management decisions have resulted in snow piles — whales — left on open trails“
and
”He has called attention to sometimes challenging conditions due to whales, ice and rough patches”

WTF. Don’t most people enjoy having whales on open trails ?
Most people on this forum yes.