• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How old do you hope to be when you finally hang em up?

jaywbigred

My 92 year old grandfather is the world's biggest proponent of the game of golf. He thinks every single person should play. He argues that it is good for you mentally and physically (he thinks carts are the work of Satan), and that you can do it into your 90s, perhaps beyond. He walked 18 holes, 3 times a week, until he was 89, when he finally outlived his last golfing buddy. He could probably still play 9 holes once a week, if he had someone to play with. In any event, he laments my skiing addiction. He would prefer me playing golf in the snow, with temporary greens, all winter long. I love golf, but skiing is my first love, so...

I protested his assertions, weakly, that you can ski during retirement too. But I got to thinking that, really, skiing is no match for golf; if you compared each sport's "average age of cessation," I am sure golf would win. But it led me to ponder, "How old will I be when I DO stop skiing?"

SO, what does everyone see for themselves? I personally hope to ski well into my 80s, God willing. Perhaps 75+ is more realistic, but, assuming I live that long, my goal will be to ski regularly (10+ days?) a year during my 80s, until I can't anymore.

What about everyone else?

I often see 80+ year old skiers..everywhere I ski..In PA, VT, and Wyoming. I see no reason why I won't ski until I can't walk anymore. Skiing is what I live for so without skiing, I wouldn't have much reason to live. So I want to ski until I can't walk anymore and I'm pooping my pants. Once I start pooping my pants..I probably won't have a desire to ski because skiing with frozen poop in your ski pants seems uncomfortable..

As for golf..carts rule FTW>.

campgottagopee

I come from a family of golfers/skiers too. I have an Uncle who skied until he was 78 then gave it up due to the obvious physical demands on the bod. He's still playing golf and will until the day her dies. I love both sports and will do both for as long as I can. I honestly feel If I can ski until 70ish I'll be lucky and happy.

2knees

What about everyone else?

I dont know, in all honesty, how long my body will hold up. I'd like to say i'll still be skiing into my 80's but somehow i dont see that happening. I have arthritis in my left knee at the age of 37. Its only getting worse each year and the last time i visited my orthopedic surgeon, he suggested i quit skiing.

If i had to guess, i'd say i'll make it to 45 or 50.

I rode the lift a few years ago at sundown with a guy who had to be in his 90's. He was talking about his experiences in WWII. It was amazing to me that he was still out there making turns. Very awe inspiring.

Paul

wm_01.jpg

83 years old

KlausObermeyer_Video_Main.jpg

87 years old

Like these guys...

Paul

The “How long before you hang em up” thread has me thinking what single sport I would chose if I had to. For me it would be golf. I truly enjoy skiing and always will, but golf I know I can do longer, more often, and with my wife more than skiing so that would be it. What would your life long sport be?????

As soon as my daughter turns 10, I'll go back to SCUBA and Skin Diving.

Might even renew my professional certs, too.

hiroto

So in about 30 years, see you guys at "Ski cheap and die" thread exchanging information on "75+ years old ski free" days.

wa-loaf

My Dads 77 and still at it. Not as often as he used to and I think he favors XC more these days. I'd like to be at it into my 80s.

highpeaksdrifter

I'll go as long as I can. I'm 54 now and I do think about it now and then. I workout and try to eat right, but none of us know what's in store for us down the road. You have to do it while you can and hope for the best later. I know a guy who is 70, looks like he's in his 50's and skis better then many in their 30's. Of course he's the exception not the rule.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
When they have to pry the ski poles from my cold dead fingers... ;-)
I was going to say "until I'm dead." Then again, I have this morbid sense about my future that I won't live until so-called retirement either, so that could be younger than most would think.

Golfing is for old people who don't have sex any more . Skiing is for people who still do.
Enough said.
:lol: