• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How old is everybody?? How many years have you been skiing/riding?

reefer

48. Started skiing seriously at 40. Had gone a few times a year here and there never improving with the kid's while they were growing up. Both moved out by the time I was 40 so my second life started which included skiing at least (30) times a year........................making up for lost time.

Last edited:

drjeff

My love for skiing is one of the main things that could keep me from having kids..plus I would need a whole lot of money to even consider it..

Trust me, its WAY better watching your kids make their first turns than ANY untracked slope filled with 2 feet of the lightest fluff imaginable! I can honestly say that last year my best runs were on the bunny hill at Mount Snow following my 3 year old down the hill. Better than the Valentine's Day weekend storm days, better than the St. paddy's weekend Storm, better than my week in Utah last March!

JimG.

Staff member
Trust me, its WAY better watching your kids make their first turns than ANY untracked slope filled with 2 feet of the lightest fluff imaginable! I can honestly say that last year my best runs were on the bunny hill at Mount Snow following my 3 year old down the hill. Better than the Valentine's Day weekend storm days, better than the St. paddy's weekend Storm, better than my week in Utah last March!

Agreed. Even better when they get older and more athletic. My 13 and 11 year old boys ski anything.

BTW, your avatar is painful to look at.

My love for skiing is one of the main things that could keep me from having kids..plus I would need a whole lot of money to even consider it..
Love is meant to be shared, not hoarded and jealously guarded...my mother shared her love for skiing with me...now I buy her skis, goggles, helmets, etc. Kids shouldn't stop you and won't, unless you let them. However, big vert will be happy to hear that you may not breed. :lol:

Paul

QFT

Taking a run down Wild Kitten with my (then) 5-yr old daughter with 35mph wind gusts and a base temp of 12F was easily one of the best runs ever. It was frigid cold, visibility was about 60 feet, the wind held you in place, and it otherwise would've really sucked hard. But the fact that she wanted to soldier-on, never complained, and we had a hella good time, that made it worthwhile.

drjeff

BTW, your avatar is painful to look at.

One of my hygienists sent me that picture, she has it as the screen saver on the 23" monitor in her treatment room :eek: She says it puts the concept of a "painfull cleaning" into perspective for the as she puts it "wussy" male patients that grace her treatment chair from time to time ;)

If you like I have plenty of gory (no pun intended based on the avatar pic) clinical photos too that would probably have just about everyone on this board becoming a floss addict! :)

darent

Most of them, actually. Each for different reasons. Some I thought older, some younger. Hmm...

I used to say that about SCUBA. I was an instructor for years, my wife who could barely swim when we met got certified on our Honeymoon because it was so much a part of my identity. Then my daughter was born, and I found that any priority can change at any time. I haven't donned a bottle and rig in over 5 years, but I can get the kid certed in another 3, so its back on. That, and we're heading to Mexico this April, may have to sneak in a few dives then...

I was also a avid diver,then I discovered skiing, haven't been diving in 6 years!

darent

IF it wasn't for our kids I would never have skied,went as a chaperone on the school ski trip to king pine, they made fun of me and encouraged me, liked it right away, boy was it fun,thanks kids!!

Well if I do have kids one day when I'm in my 30s..I will teach him/her..them to ski and be patient with them..not one of those crazy parents who screams at their kids at soccer games. My Dad used to ski with me when I was younger before he had hip problems and now he plays golf with me and when I connect right and hit a 280 yard drive I know he has that certain feeling that only a father could have..plus he's my boss at work..that's why I'm not getting a vacectemy(sp?) just yet...lol

thebigo

I am 29 and I have been skiing longer than I can remember. Probably 2-3 yrs old was my first time, got to remember to ask my folks next time i see them.

My first skiing memory is the sunday river skiing daycare. They put skis on us and we played a game called london bridge.

Been sking ever since, 10 days in the lean years, 50 in the good years.

deadheadskier

Staff member
IF it wasn't for our kids I would never have skied,went as a chaperone on the school ski trip to king pine, they made fun of me and encouraged me, liked it right away, boy was it fun,thanks kids!!

Kind of a reverse scenario for me. I started skiing in the 2nd grade for an after school program. My folks due to my encouragement tried it the next year, as did my older brother. From then on, we became a skiing family, though I have been the only one to maintain my addiction. Within four years my folks bought a modest ski cabin near Okemo and the skied there every weekend until they retired and moved to Florida five years ago. They've only been a couple of times since and I think they're done unfortunately.

Everyone in my family honestly feels that if it wasn't for skiing, my folks wouldn't have lasted. They literally did nothing together on the weekends and my father worked crazy hours as an investment banker during the week. Skiing gave them something to do until my mother finally caved and started playing golf. Now that's what keeps em' goin'.

SkiingInABlueDream

34 and either 28 or 25 depending on how you count. My dad got us both into skiing when I was 6 so I've been a skier for 28 years. But I didnt ski for 3 seasons when I was in high school so I've actually skied for only 25 seasons. But when I went skiing with my dad for the first time after that hiatus, he said it was like I hadn't missed a season. I say 28. 8)

For those of you who missed more than one season..and returned to the sport, approximately how many days does it take to be get back to where you were ability wise..when you left? For me skiing isn't like riding a bike..it takes me at some runs/days to get back to where I was the previous season..burn the rust off the edges..My first run of the season will probably be first tracks down an icy groomer at over 40mph..enought to get my helmit whistling..but there's no way..I'm going to try to get too low and get too agressive with my turns/carve...and the biggest trick I'll do is a simple grab or Spread eagle..nothing mad steezy..not steps or butter box bullshizzle..ya heard

trtaylor

For those of you who missed more than one season..and returned to the sport, approximately how many days does it take to be get back to where you were ability wise..when you left? For me skiing isn't like riding a bike..it takes me at some runs/days to get back to where I was the previous season..burn the rust off the edges..My first run of the season will probably be first tracks down an icy groomer at over 40mph..enought to get my helmit whistling..but there's no way..I'm going to try to get too low and get too agressive with my turns/carve...and the biggest trick I'll do is a simple grab or Spread eagle..nothing mad steezy..not steps or butter box bullshizzle..ya heard

For me it was like riding a bike. Within a few runs I felt like I had never left. But, I had last skied in 1973. My mom still has those skis and boots in her attic. When I picked up skiing again it was on shaped skis. I couldn't believe how easy they turned. I look at those old planks (with screw in edges) at my mom's and truly wonder how did I get down the hill on those.

ERJ-145CA

I think I got to the level I was skiing at 20 years earlier by about my 5th or 6th day of this past season. That doesn't count the 3 days I skied in March of 2006 which is when I first got into skis after the layoff, because I stuck only to the greens to just get the feel for it again.