• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mountain... No NASTAR .

dmc

I am deeply disturbed that Hunter will not have NASTAR going foward..
I don't race but I acknowledge ski racing as part of the soul of what we do...:cry::cry:

Does anyone know why this is not happening?

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I don't race but I acknowledge ski racing as part of the soul of what we do...:cry::cry:

They were not making enough money! I knew about this a while ago. Another continuation of cuts at Hunter. I am not happy about it, as we used to do this while in Race clinic...Not a real GS course, but it was fun.

4aprice

Areas are dropping Nastar big time, its not only Hunter. Camelback did it several years ago and I heard Blue just dropped it this year, others too. Don't want to pay for it I guess.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

wa-loaf

I think Vail resorts dropped NASTAR in place of their own race program.

4aprice

I think Vail resorts dropped NASTAR in place of their own race program.

They used to do coin-ops at Snowmass. Don't know this will be the direction some areas go. Many areas (and Colleges and Schools but that's another subject) have dropped their racing programs as well. Not sure if its a money thing, not wanting to close terrain, insurance, or racing is just falling out of favor with GP. The Dew tour is still a big hit at some areas but that is only a one day thing (actually couple of hours).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

catskillman

They were not making enough money! I knew about this a while ago. Another continuation of cuts at Hunter. I am not happy about it, as we used to do this while in Race clinic...Not a real GS course, but it was fun.

It was a money decision for sure. But the real issue was the headache. The paying customers & Nastar passholders especially got irrated if they had to wait for a group of club that paid - and some, you know who they are got very nasty and pushy about it. Noone wanted to work there. Honestly, it was hard enough to get someone to sit in those booths all day, then take down the course........

catskillman

also now the competition team programs will not insist on closing trails.......they had the nastar course and would not use it so now it will be even worse if the mtn lets them get away with it..........

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
also now the competition team programs will not insist on closing trails.......they had the nastar course and would not use it so now it will be even worse if the mtn lets them get away with it..........

The Nastar course was not really intended for the Competitions teams to use, except for us old guys. Most training was done on the highlands and 42nd street. Trust me when I tell you the Mtn won't let them get away with it. Russ is ANTI Racing! They are driving the racing people away to Windham and Belleayre. Yes...You hit a nerve!

catskillman

They just lost Jim Catalano (sp). Believe he went to Burke Mt. school.

Is this the end of local motion? I know Cru is also gone. The Chef's race is on the schedule on the website though

darent

I love running nastar coarses, but found the east coast to be expensive, 5 bucks a run. out west I paid 10 bucks and they let you run it as many times as you want

Hawkshot99

Nastar can never be used for competitive race training. Nastar is all about haveing a good glide and being light on your edges.
A real GS race course is nothing like a nastar course.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2