• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter's lifts...........or lack of now!!

Jully

Run them on diesel

I believe (someone who knows more correct me if I'm wrong) that you aren't allowed to operate a lift without a backup. If diesel is the primary source with no backup, you can't do that.

cc1

I'm surprised people even WENT skiing there today. You have strong winds that were high risk to either shut down lifts due to excess peak gusts, or shut them down due to power disruptions, and the last thing I'd want to be doing is skiing under conditions where losing power is a good possibility. A lift evacuation at 60 feet doesnt sound like fun to me, nor does sitting up there in the snow for 1.5 hours before they get to you. Apparently Platty is still spinning, but even were I a local there's no way I'd risk it.

It's not that windy yet, and they have a backup to get the lift operating to get you off in the event of.

abc

Apparently Platty is still spinning, but even were I a local there's no way I'd risk it.
Depends on whether you trust the lift op. I'm sure they don't want to do a lift evac. So they would only run the lift when they reasonably expect no disruption.

Area wide power outage while you're on the lift is a lessor concern. After all, that's what the diesel backup motor are there for?

For me, my decision had mostly to do with road condition. Also, I'm battling a lingering cold for all of last week. So my energy level is low. The thought of driving white knuckle for 2-3 hours each way is not very appealing.

As the lifts were down, all the snow will still be there tomorrow!

JimG.

Staff member
I'm surprised people even WENT skiing there today. You have strong winds that were high risk to either shut down lifts due to excess peak gusts, or shut them down due to power disruptions, and the last thing I'd want to be doing is skiing under conditions where losing power is a good possibility. A lift evacuation at 60 feet doesnt sound like fun to me, nor does sitting up there in the snow for 1.5 hours before they get to you. Apparently Platty is still spinning, but even were I a local there's no way I'd risk it.

Belleayre and Hunter both down for the day with no power and high winds. I arrived at Belle just in time to hear an employee tell everyone in the lodge that the mountain was closed. Platty ran all day, Windham opened up around noon. Driving in the blizzard up there was very sketchy and I did not want to add all that white knuckling to get to Platty and back. The 35 minute drive from Belle would have taken twice that long. Same for Windham.

Then the hotel I booked in Pine Hill for the night called and they of course have no power so they asked me if I would pick another day to visit. Not knowing if Belle will even open tomorrow and knowing it is likely Platty will be a zoo, I agreed. So my day consisted of driving up to Belle and leaving to go back home.

Hey what can you do? I'll be skiing somewhere tomorrow, not sure where.

BenedictGomez

Belleayre and Hunter both down for the day with no power and high winds.

It's insane where I am in Jersey, there are trees and power lines down all over. A telephone pole snapped out by my girlfriend's school! Remarkably I still have power, hopefully that continues.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Belleayre and Hunter both down for the day with no power and high winds. I arrived at Belle just in time to hear an employee tell everyone in the lodge that the mountain was closed. Platty ran all day, Windham opened up around noon. Driving in the blizzard up there was very sketchy and I did not want to add all that white knuckling to get to Platty and back. The 35 minute drive from Belle would have taken twice that long. Same for Windham.

Then the hotel I booked in Pine Hill for the night called and they of course have no power so they asked me if I would pick another day to visit. Not knowing if Belle will even open tomorrow and knowing it is likely Platty will be a zoo, I agreed. So my day consisted of driving up to Belle and leaving to go back home.

“Platty will be a zoo” Not being much of a weekend skier , I’m tempted to do a road trip .I was thinking Elk tomorrow but skiing woods is appealing as didn’t get “S&@t “ in Pa. this year. What kind of lines do they get?

abc

It's insane where I am in Jersey, there are trees and power lines down all over. A telephone pole snapped out by my girlfriend's school! Remarkably I still have power, hopefully that continues.
I'm at northern Westchester. It's not over yet. In fact, the storm seems still intensifying.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

HEY HEY HEY...it took only 20 minutes to get the backup-backup drive for the Gondola at Belleayre running today.

benski

Platty a zoo? What does that mean 5 minuet lines. I am driving there tomorrow morning. In Binghamton it wasn't windy but the roads were bag.

abc

I was going to suggest Platty. But if you think it's going to be a zoo, the only thing I can think of is back country

JimG.

Staff member
I was going to suggest Platty. But if you think it's going to be a zoo, the only thing I can think of is back country

After shoveling 6" of slop out of my driveway when I got home I sat down and pondered what to do. I don't trust Belleayre to have power back tomorrow but would rather not spend money on a ticket for Platty if I can ski on my pass. I think Platty may be a zoo because Hunter and Belle may or may not be open. I was at Platty last year on Presidents week and cars were parked at least a mile down the access road. It is sometimes crowded and tomorrow has that potential for sure. That said I don't care about crowds, I just want an open ski area so I can make turns. So the plan is Platty unless Belle is open.

JimG.

Staff member
You got a MAX pass? It’s also good at Windham.

Was there early season but not familiar with any tree skiing at Windham.

Just want to park, go to an open lift, and find some trees to ski. At this point don't care if I pay or not. Platty or Belle it is.

Abominable

Windham had some decent woods right in the middle but it’s been 15+ years since I was there.

Pez

I think I saw this AM that snow was honoring advanced tickets for hunter.

Tdizz

Here we go again.
CURRENT CONDITIONS
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 28, 2018 AT 6:44AM
UPDATE - 8:00 AM: The Kaatskill Flyer is currently on stand-by due this morning. Access to the summit is available via F Lift. Thank you for your patience!

It was down Monday too for two hours.
I was there yesterday 11-4 and it was running without any issues.