• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter's lifts...........or lack of now!!

Scruffy

Plant evergreens.................lots of them

Exactly! Why they don't just plant a bunch of pine trees and make it a glade run is beyond me. They can never keep snow on it because the winf howls up it most of the time, yet the trees to the right and left of it still have snow in there.

BTW that pic ^ doesn't do it any justice; there legit steep in there, some sections are 39*.

kingslug

I always wonder about some of the mountain..executives..some make or dont make..rather strange decisions..ir good decisions..Belleayre Gondola..letting the west side of Hunter rot..stuff like that..
My first priority would be the mountain and how to make people want to come there...the terrain..but thats just me..what do i know...

cdskier

I always wonder about some of the mountain..executives..some make or dont make..rather strange decisions..ir good decisions..Belleayre Gondola..letting the west side of Hunter rot..stuff like that..
My first priority would be the mountain and how to make people want to come there...the terrain..but thats just me..what do i know...

I'm with you 100%. As for the Belle gondola, I still think the expansion to the highmount area should have been the first priority before that lift. In that case though, I don't think it was a "mountain executive" that decided to put in the Gondola (the master plan only called for a new quad in that alignment). It was some politician in Albany saying "we're giving you a gondola even though you didn't ask for it because it sounds fancier and now we can market ourselves as being the only area in the cats with a gondi".

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I don't think it was a "mountain executive" that decided to put in the Gondola

True.

l It was some politician in Albany saying "we're giving you a gondola even though you didn't ask for it because it sounds fancier and now we can market ourselves as being the only area in the cats with a gondi".

Not totally true. If you support the highmount expansion and resort, this was seen as a political necessity to make it happen.

cdskier

Well i rode the gondi today and its rather nice..the run under it when it has snow will be pretty sporty as well.

A Maserati is nice too...doesn't mean I need one though. I'm sure the run under it will be a fun run, but it would have been equally as fun if it was another type of lift overhead as well.

cdskier

Whats done is done...now they need to get highmount back in operation.

This I completely agree with. And with Hunter adding more terrain soon, Belleayre needs to get the Highmount terrain up and running sooner rather than later.

mbedle

The developer already owns the old Highmont property, which will be transferred to the state after its redevelopment.

JimG.

Staff member
A Maserati is nice too...doesn't mean I need one though. I'm sure the run under it will be a fun run, but it would have been equally as fun if it was another type of lift overhead as well.

I like the new gondola. I would understand your opposition to the Gondi if you skied Belle regularly but you are a Sugarbush pass holder.

Why does that lift spur such opposition for you? Really, why do you even care?

cdskier

I like the new gondola. I would understand your opposition to the Gondi if you skied Belle regularly but you are a Sugarbush pass holder.

Why does that lift spur such opposition for you? Really, why do you even care?

I skied Belleayre extensively for many years and it is still a place I care about. I have an issue with money being wasted for no reason (especially in this case since it is public money and not some private corporation's money). A quad would have been sufficient for that lift (and is what the master plan called for) and the money saved could have been put towards the other planned improvements at Belleayre.

KustyTheKlown

I have only skied belleayre twice and somehow didn't wind up there at all this year when they were on max, and I also think that gondola is a dumb stupid waste of money and was placed in an illogical place. unless the sole logic was steering people to park at the lower lot.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
unless the sole logic was steering people to park at the lower lot.

Not the sole logic, but part of it. Belle wants to change the perception that Overlook is the "main lodge."

Look at the TIMING of the announcement of the Belle gondi and other events that preceded it to figure out the driving force behind the project.

catskillman

Several of us were talking this weekend at Hunter about the 6th pack - they run the lift all summer and fall and noone can remember there being any breakdown issues since they put it in.

Cold or dampness issues?