• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ikon Pass Changes and New Resorts for 2023

Zand

snoseek

I bet thise changes help make the utah experience better

thebigo

Is that good or bad in your eyes? I've gotta imagine the Shawnee regulars would be super bummed if it was on ikon in any form right?

More surprised than anything. Doubt Shawnee would be overrun either way. My daughter will have a number of races in the MWV next year, thought we would mix in a few nights but not that big of a deal. 4X Ragged, 2X pats midweek, 2X Ikon base will be by far the most I have ever spent on passes but still better than giving fail a penny.

Zand

I'm sure Shawnee could be added at a later point if necessary. Did they announce their own pass products yet?

Zermatt

"Make Skiing Expensive Again" is happening!

Maybe not, but hopefully the race to the bottom is over

thetrailboss

Staff member

Biggest news is Sun Valley, Chamonix and Snowbasin leaving Epic for Ikon and that Alta (but not Snowbird) and Deer Valley are no longer on Ikon Base.

Prices up $80 for the unlimited over this year's prices.
Completely as I predicted: Alta leaves the Base but Snowbird does not. This still means that LCC will be a mess.

cdskier

I'm glad to see them raise prices. Although whether that is enough to mitigate an influx of Epic skiers a bit depends on what Vail does with their pricing.

jaytrem

Glad to see they're still doing the spring thing. Doesn't help this year, but might for a Tahoe/Mammoth trip next year. Sure is nice when you ski enough days to pay for the pass before the season even starts. Kids will still be eligible for the child pass too. Other option next year would be Utah, kids can get a 5th grade passport and then figure out what's most economical for me (would most likely have Epic and Indy already).

cdskier

how much did the price go up? I mean $769 for the base is not that expensive...
The full went up $80 while the base went up $40. However the base also lost access to some mountains (Alta and Deer Valley)

snoseek

I'm tempted to bite on ikon but I fear the epic migration gonna be real. Also it doesn't have much for daytrips coming from southern nh.

Reactions: Edd

Tonyr

Completely as I predicted: Alta leaves the Base but Snowbird does not. This still means that LCC will be a mess.
This is interesting. I'm not sure if the owners of Alta own all of the hotels and restaurants at the resort but the owners of Snowbird own everything on the the property. More crowds at Snowbird equals more opportunities to spend on hotels, shops, and restaurants which is why I'd guess they wouldn't mind the crowds as much. Alta definitely will be less crowded next season, the Mineral Basin lines are going to be an even bigger disaster on the weekends and powder days.

snoseek

This is interesting. I'm not sure if the owners of Alta own all of the hotels and restaurants at the resort but the owners of Snowbird own everything on the the property. More crowds at Snowbird equals more opportunities to spend on hotels, shops, and restaurants which is why I'd guess they wouldn't mind the crowds as much. Alta definitely will be less crowded next season, the Mineral Basin lines are going to be an even bigger disaster on the weekends and powder days.
All the lodges at Alta are privately owned. The mid mtn restaurants used to be but the mountain bought them out.

snoseek

First of likely many tough hits to vail this all is btw. They need to increase their prices but it's hard to justify if your value goes down. Maybe telluride will jump ship too someday

Zermatt

First of likely many tough hits to vail this all is btw. They need to increase their prices but it's hard to justify if your value goes down. Maybe telluride will jump ship too someday
Vail's answer will be to make their passes even cheaper to make up for the complaints this season and the loss of 3 resorts next season.

BenedictGomez

More crowds at Snowbird equals more opportunities to spend on hotels, shops, and restaurants which is why I'd guess they wouldn't mind the crowds as much.

My experience staying at a Snowbird hotel (2019) was so terrible that I cant fathom it with "more" crowds. I'd never stay at a Snowbird property again unless I had confirmation it was fixed, or I had confirmation that there was going to be >= 12 inches of snow incoming (and it would be a 1 night stay).

And I should note, I am NOT picky at all when it comes to hotels, but the incompetency, lack of employees, service closures (despite what their service posting said) and employee unhappiness was IMO over-the-top.