• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington has started blowing

Newpylong

The only logical thing I can see is coming back online again tonight, hoping the high day temps this week don't bake it off, then coming back online possibly Thur night def Friday night hoping for a weekend opening.

I don't see anything lasting the day temps and unfrozen ground up there.

Last edited:

slatham

I figured they'd be aggressive but this takes it to a new level. Oct 10th without a major Arctic blast, or even one on the horizon.....:daffy:

machski

Please, the real deal. Yeah, ok, not even down to the great northern crossover on Rime. Perhaps they are trying to lay something on the unload and maybe the upper wrap around d of great northern, but this is far from them being able to open.

canobie#1

Please, the real deal. Yeah, ok, not even down to the great northern crossover on Rime. Perhaps they are trying to lay something on the unload and maybe the upper wrap around d of great northern, but this is far from them being able to open.

Someones a little cranky......

No s*** its not near ready to open, they started 6 hours ago.

dlague

I am not sure - seems more like a test to me to make sure all systems are go. They only fired up guns around the top Terminal on North Ridge. In any case, according to forecast for the summit, the temps are not really going to allow much opportunity for snowmaking. Friday will be marginal at best and they will probably make snow, but I do not see them opening this weekend. Starting October 21st there will be a sustained window of cooler temps that will be their best shot. My prediction Opening Day - October 29th. Unless they do a soft opening mid-week. However, weather forecast may change.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Killington-Peak/forecasts/1291

songfta

Website
www.randomduck.com
I can't think that they'll pay too much attention to the upper flanks for too long, as their main objective is to have a world-class amount of coverage for the FIS Alpine World Cup races. Any work they do up top, at least after the end of October, is a distraction from the obligation they have to host the world's best technical racers.

Just my $0.02...

Jully

On Twitter they posted a bunch of things including their Winter Starts When We Say So video from last year. Not totally sure what they're doing, but maybe they're betting on the forcast changing this week. It has been getting colder, there wasn't even a window (however marginal it might be) this upcoming Friday as of Thursday or so.

Tin

This is the only window they really have this week until Friday morning and anything made today will melt...all marketing.

dlague

The Killington Bike Park will be open an extra weekend, October 15 and 16 from 10:00 a.m. 4:30 p.m. with trails serviced by the Snowshed Express Quad, Ramshead Express Quad, and K-1 Gondola.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I think they'll open up Saturday PM (passholders only, of course) then shutdown for the week. It's 10am and the guns are still going with two more suitable nights of snowmaking that are forecasted to be cooler than last. If they get 8 hours snowmaking tonight and another 8 hours on Friday that's 20ish hours of snowmaking.

I really don't think this is a test. All the guns on North Ridge are staged, and Killington hasn't done an early-season snowmaking PR stunt in ever, that I can recall.

Jully

The Killington Bike Park will be open an extra weekend, October 15 and 16 from 10:00 a.m. 4:30 p.m. with trails serviced by the Snowshed Express Quad, Ramshead Express Quad, and K-1 Gondola.

Hah! They're trying to do a skiing and mountain biking combo day again.

dlague

I think they'll open up Saturday PM (passholders only, of course) then shutdown for the week. It's 10am and the guns are still going with two more suitable nights of snowmaking that are forecasted to be cooler than last. If they get 8 hours snowmaking tonight and another 8 hours on Friday that's 20ish hours of snowmaking.

I really don't think this is a test. All the guns on North Ridge are staged, and Killington hasn't done an early-season snowmaking PR stunt in ever, that I can recall.

I think this is get everyone stoked material at best! We shall see but they are committed to another weekend of MTB.