• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lug or Wear? - Boots/Gear from car to-and-from the lodge

WinnChill

When skiing with the family, I'm usually the pack mule carrying all sorts of gear to and from the car. I used to put my boots on at the car. However, as I was exiting a parking shuttle bus, one of my boots completely cracked. So now it's a question of gearing up at the car or lugging everything to the lodge. What's your strategy? What bags/straps make it easiest for you?

I like the velcro straps to bind skiis/poles together that you can sling over your shoulder plus a boot strap for the other shoulder. I'll be skiing with my son a lot more this season so I need to consider what would be easiest for him too. I found a niffty ski bag "sleeve" yesterday that will fit two sets of skiis/poles and I can carry it easily with one hand to and from the lodge. Plus, it will contain the messy meltoff inside the car afterwards too. Now we can just shoulder the boots and backpack. Then you gotta consider room for brown-bag lunches and other gear too! I'm debating bootbags for each of us too, but do they have extra room for other stuff?

NotEasyBeingGreen

I am a believer in the Transpack, despite the cost. There's room in the middle for lots of stuff and it's really comfortable. If you have one for each person in the family, it's pretty easy to keep everybody's gear organized and in one place.

ERJ-145CA

I don't like to wear my boots while walking on pavement or gravel so I lug. I have one of these:

Transpack Sidekick.

It carries all my stuff and when I'm with my son I hook his boots' strap into the helmet compartment closing strap and they hang on. It works out very well. This season I'll have my daughter with me too sometimes so I'll see what I can do with her boots.

Smellytele

I don't like to wear my boots while walking on pavement or gravel so I lug. I have one of these:

Transpack Sidekick.

It carries all my stuff and when I'm with my son I hook his boots' strap into the helmet compartment closing strap and they hang on. It works out very well. This season I'll have my daughter with me too sometimes so I'll see what I can do with her boots.

Looked at those but don't like the boots on the outside thing.

BMac

Website
apod.nasa.gov
Looked at those but don't like the boots on the outside thing.

Nothing worse than having your boots fill up with snow on the walk in during a storm. I've got the plain transpack and I absolutely love it. I can put my boots, helmet, goggles, shell, gloves, and a little room for misc items. Plus it looks boring and like a million others in the lodge so I don't worry about someone taking it. I put a pin on mine to distinguish it from the other million packs.

kickstand

If you guys like the backpacks, check out the packs from Kulkea. There are only 2 models, but they are very cool. Saw them at the ski show today. One woman said it blows away the Transpack she already has. These things are really, really sweet....

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I am a believer in the Transpack, despite the cost. There's room in the middle for lots of stuff and it's really comfortable. If you have one for each person in the family, it's pretty easy to keep everybody's gear organized and in one place.

I bought a High Sierra trapezoid bag similar to the Transpack for close half the cost.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
It depends on the mountain and the weather. I have a transpack and I used it at times. Sometimes I shove my day pack in there also, so then I clip my helmet to a strap.

BenedictGomez

I nearly always boot up at the truck, unless the walk to the lodge/lift is a long one like at Whiteface or Shawnee.

The girlfriend, however, if currently looking for a bag that stores the boots and helmut internally, so this is a timely thread. But $80 or $100 for one of these things? Methinks they seem kind of overpriced.

Smellytele

I nearly always boot up at the truck, unless the walk to the lodge/lift is a long one like at Whiteface or Shawnee.

The girlfriend, however, if currently looking for a bag that stores the boots and helmut internally, so this is a timely thread. But $80 or $100 for one of these things? Methinks they seem kind of overpriced.

under $50 for this one - http://outlet.altrec.com/dakine/boot-pack

HowieT2

Transpac ftw. Seriously whatever the cost it is worth it. I resisted for 2 seasons after my wife and kids got them, using an old boot bag. I'm an idiot. Between the transpac and camelbak I have everything and carrying the skis is easy. Much easier than walking to and from the lot in boots.

BenedictGomez

I have one and they do fit my size 10 ski boots

Price is cheap, and the reviews are great.

But given it's designed for snowboard boots, when you say it is a "fit" for your ski boots, is it a proper fit, or is it sort of stretching the bag and tight?

Smellytele

But given it's designed for snowboard boots, when you say it is a "fit" for your ski boots, is it a proper fit, or is it sort of stretching the bag and tight?

they fit easily without stretching. Just took another look and put the helmet in the top pocket and the front pocket had plenty of rooms for gloves, hats, goggles and more. I owned a transpac and stuff fits easier in this pack then in the transpac.

Cannonball

Snowboard boots are fine for driving...no bag necessary. I hate driving in my ski boots. I do it occasionally but let's face it it's not safe.

On the other hand, heading home wearing my snowboard boots I don't usually bring a beer. But with ski boots slung over my shoulder each one holds a bottle from the bar pretty well.