• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MA skiing

mlkrgr

From my perspective, Wachusett isn't bad if you already have a season pass and intend to ski a minimum of 5 times there, and it provides the opportunity to ski while doing other things during the day, and still be back home given that you can really only take day trips into NH, given the hotel stay there will trigger a quarantine based on MA regulations.
Wa single day tickets are priced very high this season but they are getting the $$ as they sell out many sessions and I observed 10 minute lift lines even on nonholiday weekday day sessions, but have topped out at about 15 minutes on weekends and holidays so far in my observation. Some days/times have double sessions which can have decent pricing if you wanted a legit 6+ hours to ski. Otherwise, you'll be looking at 5-7 runs if you just go for a single session. The demand has been that high right until closing that they closed at 9:30 pm with about a 7 minute line tonight too (usually, even on busiest days, the lift lines get to nearly be ski on after 8:30 pm). They are grooming the trails well, granted the only trails with good steepness is Smith Walton, 10th, and Conifer; and then you have a few more trails that can open up during the day if natural snow is good.

Wachusett is a far better mountain than Nashoba Valley which is the only other place I've skied in MA.

urungus

From my perspective, Wachusett isn't bad if you already have a season pass and intend to ski a minimum of 5 times there, and it provides the opportunity to ski while doing other things during the day, and still be back home given that you can really only take day trips into NH, given the hotel stay there will trigger a quarantine based on MA regulations.

My understanding is that Massachusetts requires quarantine even for a day trip to NH (or any other state)

urungus

Berkshire East reports snowmaking in progress on Thunder, Bolt, Little John, Upper & Lower Flying Cloud, Upper & Lower Minnie Dole, UMass

Upper (not “Upper Upper”) Minnie Dole did not have any closed markers, so I got first tracks at 3:45 PM today, LOL

Looking down:
8967C93C-5536-477C-A5CC-F534AF03FB7A.jpeg

Looking up:
175EAEEF-1C49-4EA1-9ECF-0E46E66CEA1F.jpeg

urungus

Blue chair went down yesterday at Bousquet, so with Yellow still under reconstruction, they currently have no operational chairlifts.

foofy

That would explain all the Bousquet jackets at Berkshire East yesterday!

Cobbold

Blue chair went down yesterday at Bousquet, so with Yellow still under reconstruction, they currently have no operational chairlifts.
is the blue chair back in action? What’s the deal with the new triple?

skef

Made it to Berkshire East for the first time yesterday. It's quite a nice little mountain -- has a Burke-like vibe to it. Enjoyed the steeps, which beat WaWa hands down. The trees were mostly skied out, unfortunately, although I was able to hit a couple of those bike trails...

On the downside, the triple was down until about 1:00, making for long lines/waits on the quad. After they got it running, though, no complaints.

Also got a lot of face time with this barred owl, who was just chilling at the summit, lap after lap...
RenderedImage.jpg

urungus

is the blue chair back in action? What’s the deal with the new triple?

The blue chair is back in action. Last I heard they encountered some “engineering issues” on the replacement yellow chair and are shooting for mid-February

Last edited:

urungus

New yellow chair at Bousquet will finally be spinning tomorrow, as per Facebook

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I have never skied MA (other than the closest - Catamount) as - when driving from NJ - it always seems worth driving a little further to S.VT (Snow, Okemo, Stratton, Magic, Bromley) and I don't have the impression any of the W.MA resorts would be more appealing than closer NY options (Hunter, Windham, Belleayre, Plattekill).

Any places in W.MA folks believe would give me cause to rethink this analysis - barring nature giving us a rare "Berkshire Only" powder day?

Not considering Covid travel rules here which will likely be gone by next season.

Killingtime

I have never skied MA (other than the closest - Catamount) as - when driving from NJ - it always seems worth driving a little further to S.VT (Snow, Okemo, Stratton, Magic, Bromley) and I don't have the impression any of the W.MA resorts would be more appealing than closer NY options (Hunter, Windham, Belleayre, Plattekill).

Any places in W.MA folks believe would give me cause to rethink this analysis - barring nature giving us a rare "Berkshire Only" powder day?

Not considering Covid travel rules here which will likely be gone by next season.
I've been to pretty much all the larger MA resorts over the years. My impression is that they definitely feel smaller than the Cats and lack the vertical but are still worthy of a trip if you want to break up the routine. I've had very good experiences at both Jiminy and Berkshire East with light crowds and surprisingly decent terrain. Even had a blast at Butternut which seems to get almost no publicity. Most of my ski friends didn't even know it existed. I found it to be a well run operation with some fun terrain and a low-key family vibe. But yeah, everything being the same, stick with the Cats or Southern VT IMO.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

If you're coming from NJ the Cats are closer/better than anything in Mass, imo. Mass is great for the people in Westchester, western CT, and locals....pretty much anyone in between 87 and 91. If you're west of 87/east of 91 it doesn't make sense to ski western Massachusetts when you can just keep going north on those corridors and get to much better skiing.

Zand

If you're coming from NJ the Cats are closer/better than anything in Mass, imo. Mass is great for the people in Westchester, western CT, and locals....pretty much anyone in between 87 and 91. If you're west of 87/east of 91 it doesn't make sense to ski western Massachusetts when you can just keep going north on those corridors and get to much better skiing.
Agreed...

Coming from the Worcester area, only Berkshire East is closer than southern VT. Going out to Jiminy is a waste. Been meaning to check out Catamount on the Indy Pass this year but it's no quicker than Loon.

And as you said, theres much better stuff in the Catskills if youre coming from NYC/NJ, so no reason for them to stop in WMA either. I guess Jiminy gets some Albany traffic, but even that doesn't make sense to me given their proximity to southern VT.

Newpylong

Jiminy is half the distance from Albany to the closest Southern VT area, has a dependable snowmaking system, long season, good infrastructure, and has lights. It's quite obvious why it is so busy.

It's the same reason people from Eastern MA go to Wachusett in droves over going North.

prsboogie

Agreed...

Coming from the Worcester area, only Berkshire East is closer than southern VT. Going out to Jiminy is a waste. Been meaning to check out Catamount on the Indy Pass this year but it's no quicker than Loon.

And as you said, theres much better stuff in the Catskills if youre coming from NYC/NJ, so no reason for them to stop in WMA either. I guess Jiminy gets some Albany traffic, but even that doesn't make sense to me given their proximity to southern VT.
I went to Catamount on my Indy pass this year and I will say I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed on the hill overnight and had fun. The terrain was sufficient to appeal to everyone in my family and steep enough (though short) to push it when I wanted to.

Indy has taught me to slow down and enjoy sliding on snow without the aggravation of the jackass masses at the majority of the So. VT and N.H. resorts/ski areas. I have had a great season with my family, better than a few more recent years when I've skied close to three times as many days.