• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most Disliked Lifts

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Good ole' Summit Local at Mount Snow was really bad. Very slow, relaxing ride... until the chair stopped. It had a tendency to rollback a considerable distance, about 3-5 feet. Always terrified me.

Another lift that does that is the Summit Triple at Attitash! It must be something to do with the length.

ceo

West Mountain Chair at Sugarloaf. Unbelievably long and slow, doesn't serve much of anything interesting (though apparently that may change this year) and it runs stone empty most of the time. And it's a double-nothing (one-sided double-double), which indicates that they thought they were going to need twice the capacity someday.

Cannonball Express at Cannon. Awesome trail pod, but slow, cold and not running so well these days. Good place for a loading-carpet fixie like Skyline.

Burnt Mountain Poma, because it doesn't exist (yet?).

ScottySkis

I like slow lifts so my lighter does not go out when trying to light you know what.

Last edited:

Riverskier

West Mountain Chair at Sugarloaf. Unbelievably long and slow, doesn't serve much of anything interesting (though apparently that may change this year) and it runs stone empty most of the time. And it's a double-nothing (one-sided double-double), which indicates that they thought they were going to need twice the capacity someday.

Cannonball Express at Cannon. Awesome trail pod, but slow, cold and not running so well these days. Good place for a loading-carpet fixie like Skyline.

Burnt Mountain Poma, because it doesn't exist (yet?).

I read somewhere once that the West Mountain chair at SL is one of the longest lift rides in the country at something like 22 minutes.

catherine

Not a great ride up but the runs from Tiger are great. Just wish they were longer :smile:

x10003q

It's not in existence anymore but the slowest, longest, coldest chair I remember is the old double chair on Big Spruce at Stowe.

A few more long/slow/cold we could throw in are the Stowe single and double, the Killington Peak double, Gore had a 7000 foot double, and the old single on Mt Tremblant. All those lifts used to hand out wool ponchos to wear on the ride up. I remember riding up the single at Stowe on a windy below zero day and putting 2 ponchos on my body and wrapping a third one around my head.

Brutal.

steamboat1

A few more long/slow/cold we could throw in are the Stowe single and double, the Killington Peak double, Gore had a 7000 foot double, and the old single on Mt Tremblant. All those lifts used to hand out wool ponchos to wear on the ride up. I remember riding up the single at Stowe on a windy below zero day and putting 2 ponchos on my body and wrapping a third one around my head.

Brutal.
I've had the pleasure of riding the side by side single & double at Stowe, both of Killington Peaks doubles. If you're talking about the old slow double on the bottom part of Gore I've done that to. Never rode the the single at Tremblant but have skied the mountain with the two old slow doubles you needed to take to get to the top. There was no direct lift to the top. Only places I remember handing out the wool poncho's was Stowe & MRG. I don't know why but skiing was more fun in those days. Maybe it was because of the old rear wheel drive cars we drove that fish tailed all over the road getting there.