• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 12/20/13

reefer

Mt Snow 12/20/13 w/pics

Hit the Summit at 11:00 under mostly cloudy skies and warm temps. Headed straight for the North Face. Fallen Timbers, Olympic, Challenger, and Ripcord all closed. Plummet, Jaws, Chute, PDF, Boulder Pile, Little Steep, and Free Fall were all stellar in my opinion. Jaws and Plummet had nice soft semi-bumps with some grass poking thru which made it fun as hell and required several visits. Light rain started at about 1:30, nothing that affected me with the warm temps. There were about twenty people skiing the NF. Pretty much my own private trail pod.

At 2:00 decided to do some recon. Headed over to Sunbrook. No bumps on Bear Trap yet. Plenty of snow and some whales made for a few obligatory laps that were quick but fun. I think I saw five people on that chair.

Headed down to the base and did at least two runs each down Uncles, Shootout, and Choke to Ledge off the Bluebird til' 4:00. They were all skiing extremely well. No lines there either.

Did not ski any woods. Not ready yet. Maybe earlier in the week. The snow is melting fast in Southern Vermont.
All in all a great day at Mt Snow.

Little let down when I saw this closing, but there was plenty else:

Chute was nice!

Jaws

Last edited:

mlctvt

Reef- Me , my nephew and some of his friends were some of the 20 or so other people on the North Face Friday. I don't get the chance to ski too many weekdays but even so I was really surprized by the lack of people everywhere on the mountain. Spring-like fantastic conditions too. I've never seen the mountain with so few skiers and good conditions.

drjeff

The natural snow is mainly gone. The majority of the snowmaking trails are holding up to the warmth + rain + fog - there are a few thin/bare spots showing today. Snowmaking temps in 24hrs or so, by the 26th things on the open snowmaking trails will be back to normal mid winter conditions and snowmaking terrain expansion should be starting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

reefer

Reef- Me , my nephew and some of his friends were some of the 20 or so other people on the North Face Friday. I don't get the chance to ski too many weekdays but even so I was really surprized by the lack of people everywhere on the mountain. Spring-like fantastic conditions too. I've never seen the mountain with so few skiers and good conditions.

Being the weekend before Christmas and questionable weather I think helped. I was pretty surprised how empty it got. Figured everybody would be getting some before this blow torch moved in. Gotta go when it's good! Things seem to be deteriorating very fast.

Thanks for the update Doc. Having stayed up there, listening to snow melt off the roof pretty much all night, and seeing what happened to Magic, I was glad I had went Friday.